Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:35 am

Pekka wrote:I was a little amazed that Sonic don't have good valves.
Try to pack a Nova before throwing the first stone :!:

I only find the one-way valves useful on the really tiny struts, on the other ones, I never had any problem pinching the valves when inflating, even when it's cold (which happens quite often btw)
I like the GK valves the way they have been these years, and I sincerely hope they'll continue this way.

tomcook23
Rare Poster

Postby tomcook23 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:07 am

hey alex are you gona get a sonic
want to try one out
tom

Pekka
Rare Poster

Postby Pekka » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:08 am

bragnouff wrote: I never had any problem pinching the valves when inflating, even when it's cold (which happens quite often btw)
Do you mean "Florida" cold or "Finland" COLD? I hope you are right about those valves that they works allright under -5 Celsius temperature.
Attachments
pekkakite4.jpg
pekkakite4.jpg (27.87 KiB) Viewed 1971 times

GK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Ft. Pierce inlet
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby GK » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:16 pm

That's cold Pekka! I can't attest to the valve performance in sub-zero
conditions. I like the idea of the pliers attached to the pump. I don't think I
could even attach my lines when its that cold!!
The valve configuration is just as its always been with Globerider, one way
with a flapper on the small outside struts and free flow on the rest. This is
the easiest and fastest for inflate and deflate under 95% of conditions. Ball
valve are a pain if you ask me.

Alguaro, the price of the 11m in US is $1380 complete. Much less than other
flatties currently on the market. We don't have a price yet for the 8m and
14m. Should be very soon.

GK

rene q
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby rene q » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:34 pm

GK - I understand the stopperball system, but why isn't there a hook system on the bar? I've seen on the GK site that you can buy this as a spare part to the standard bar. Would it fit on the Sonic bar you rekcon?

I know that nowadays not many bars are supplied with a bar lock system, but if you prefer riding with fully free depower (100%) on the Sonic, with the stopper ball high up, and at the same time wants to make an old school trick like "deadman", then the hook would do the trick I guess?

Can't wait to try it anyway :thumb:

Regards, René

MATRICIANO
Medium Poster

Postby MATRICIANO » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:23 pm

u don't see it on the Sonic bar, because u don't need it....
infact, the iron hook is just on the Curl and Lift 2006 bar, with the 5th line.
i tryed both, and for jumping good with the Sonic, u must manage it rigth the opposit way of a normal c kite. so don't pull the bar for more bust, but just leave it on is natural position for the best lift.....

skyte
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FLEXIFOIL

Postby skyte » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:40 pm

Pekka wrote:I was a little amazed that Sonic don't have good valves. You have to squeese them very hard to prevent air coming out, and that makes difficult to fill struts.

In winter time on the ice I think this will be almost impossible to do because frost will harden the plastic. Good valves are very cheap things but they make life easy. Has GK saved money in wrong place?!

Pekka
You don't need to pinch valves on any kite, I never do anymore... just put your finger quickly on the end of the valve, then quickly put the stopper in. If you're quick you hardly lose any air.

It gets cold here in winter and numb fingers mean pinching valves is hard so I always use the above technique.

skyte
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FLEXIFOIL

Postby skyte » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:54 pm

I flew the Sonic 11m in about 20knots for about 90mins in North Wales. Matt from Airjam brought it up to demo.

I thought it was great. After 20mins I was used to it and could do all the stuff I can do on regular LEIs plus of course, depower it totally.

I think the best thing to do if you're going with these style of kites (Sonic, X-Bow or Nova) is forget about the stopper and learn to adapt. To get the most out of these kites, you need to be able to sheet right out. Having no stopper is only really an issue when unspinning the bar, but with a bit of practice you can chuck it and catch it again which feels quite satisfying! The bar pressure on the Sonic was spot on and it doesn't tire your arms out having to hold the bar like it can do on the X-Bow.

I liked the simplicity of the Sonic Bar but there is a trapping point between the cam cleat and the bar and I thought the QR was too easily triggered by accident. Also the bar was a bit fat for my liking but all this is just my preferences, not necessarily criticism.

Having the cam cleat at the chicken loop was so much neater than the Nova solution of 2 PU tubes but was slightly harder to adjust (2handed operation?) not hard to deal with though and due to the huge depower you don't need to adjust it more than once a session unless you want to sheet it in to do unhooked stuff and out again for some bigger airs.

Personally, I'm gonna wait until Flexi release a kite like this because by then the bars will be sorted (oh, and I ride Flexifoil Strikes for Turbulence and they don't sell GK!)

So if that's not an unbiased review, I don't know what is :)

Oh, and there are rumours that looping this style of kite is for pussies... well it is if you loop it with the bar right out, but try looping with the bar sheeted right in and you'll find they kick your arse like any other LEI!

rene q
Rare Poster

Postby rene q » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:58 pm

I still don't understand how you can let go of the bar when doing a deadman. If anytime you let go of the bar of the Sonic - the kite is told to depower totally, and then you will fall from the sky. How is this prevented? If the bar stays in position when doing a deadman, then it would also stay in position when needing 100% depower. How do you adjust this? Do you have to sheed down the PU-tube up and down in the Spectra rope each time you need to either have free depower or lock?

Mattdog
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mattdog » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:22 am

Can someone please state the total length of throw the Sonic needs to depower ? Or the working throw it uses.

This is so I can determine if my current bar set up will work with it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”