All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:24 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

sounds like a plan - be sure to get the "recipient" to sign off a disclaimer or even better, get them to do it to themself - and post the results up on u-tube :D

But back to the topic, I'd want as much padding on my skull as possible, as the occipital region is where sight is controlled :o

Why not attach a knife to the side of your harness with a sheath :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:05 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

When you are getting dragged by an out of control kite, your hands are already pretty close to your head. The hand can follow the surface of the helmet and quickly feel the loop of the knife handle sticking out, where the index finger can easily hook it.

I think the second best place for the knife is where EMTs, Parachutists, and kayakers carry their knifes..over the heart.

A harness location is low on my list of easily accessable places. There are already too many straps, buckles, strap adjusters, shakles, safety staps, etc. there, to get in the way of your searching hand. Plus, when you are really in trouble on land, your harness may be taking the brunt of the impact from rocks and other obstacles, while you are being dragged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:24 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

It is an interesting approach and location. Still, I would opt for leaving the helmet's padding intact myself. You never know what part is going to hit, it is best to try to protect everything to the best of your ability. I wouldn't be surprise to see the kiter helmet coverage on the back of the neck go lower in time.

Guess how many knives some cave divers carry using only one line that usually is taught and not attached to something that can lift a car?

Some carry up to five knives, seems like a lot but when you get trussed up, it could make the difference in getting out or not. In some cases we simply won't have time to cut. In others we may have time but won't be able to reach the single knife or may drop it, something that is easy to do. Carrying a couple of knives, attached by breakaway attachments (to avoid causing the Corkscrew of Death makes sense. Although, sometimes just one knife can make all the difference in the world as Alex mentioned. More here.

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Post subject: Re: Kite hook knife location...a suggestion
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:10 am 
Rare Poster

very clever! thank for the idea.

Last edited by DBatista on Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:04 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I didn't see if anyone mentioned it, but it looks like you only have a single blade in that knife. The knives with double opposing blades work alot better.

Second, I recently was but my knife on my brand new dakine nitrous shorts and tried to get it out without looking. I felt a little resistence and then looked down and saw the end of one of the straps laying on the floor! Oh well. My thought about this position is that you could to cut your ear off trying to pull this thing out quickly in an emergency. Or maybe cut the helmet straps.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:34 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

davesails7 wrote:
I didn't see if anyone mentioned it, but it looks like you only have a single blade in that knife. The knives with double opposing blades work alot better.

Second, I recently was but my knife on my brand new dakine nitrous shorts and tried to get it out without looking. I felt a little resistence and then looked down and saw the end of one of the straps laying on the floor! Oh well. My thought about this position is that you could to cut your ear off trying to pull this thing out quickly in an emergency. Or maybe cut the helmet straps.

Dave,

Check the date on the post by Kitezilla... (2005) Then, read the thread "Hook knives, don't bet your life on them!":

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2343820

A lot has been learned, since the alert about kite knives, went out in 2005!

I would be interested to know if anyone else actually felt that this location for carrying a hook knife was a good location, and went to the trouble of modyfing their helmet to be able to carry a knife in that location.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:04 pm 
Medium Poster

Attached with a couple of plastic ties - also carry a second knife in a sheath on my seat harness.

Attachments:
IM000588.JPG
IM000588.JPG [ 91.06 KIB | Viewed 403 times ]
IM000589.JPG
IM000589.JPG [ 116.16 KIB | Viewed 403 times ]
 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2