C-Kite with optional Bow bridles?

forum for kitesurfers

Spencer
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

C-Kite with optional Bow bridles?

Postby Spencer » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:47 pm

Why doesn't someone make a classic C-kite that also has attachment points for bow-style bridles and a bridle system that can be easily attached or removed? This kind of "convertible" kite would have the proven stability of the C-kites, and with bridles would have enough depower for beginners or wave-riders. If people wanted the classic kite feel, they could simply remove the bridles for jumping/tricks, and then put them back on again when heading to a good surf spot. Beginners and intermediates could leave the bridles on all the time for safety. I think that a bow-style bridle could turn even the most bad-ass hucking machine into a safe beginner kite, or smooth wave kite. Any ideas?

Spencer

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:01 pm

Nice idea, but not there is much more to it to achieve the depower capabilities it that just a bridle. The you need the swept back wing tips compared to its centre of pull to achieve significant depower.

By the way Globerider already offers a simple bridle on their C-kites (KPO kite power optimizer) that does increase the range and de-power. But it is nowhere near what is possible on a Bow kite.

Ed

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:35 pm

It is the flatness, and not the bridle, that makes the controllable depower possible. If a kite was perfectly flat like a wing, with a well-balanced control system you could achieve total sheeting capability with almost non-existent bar pressure and very little bar travel. The closer kites get to being really flat, the better control we will have over them.

Spencer
Medium Poster

Postby Spencer » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:12 pm

I don't think it's the flat shape that allows the depower, but rather the tow point. For example, a traditional c-kite will fully depower by pulling on a 5th line, even though it's not flat. I think the bow bridle is just a way to integrate this into 4 lines with one smooth continuous motion of the bar. I'm only guessing here, but I wonder if Bruno designed the bow bridle first for a c-kite, then figured that if he had to have a bridle to achieve full de-power, why not take advantage of the bridle to also support a higher projected area. This is only speculation, though!

Spencer
Medium Poster

Postby Spencer » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:15 pm

ed257 wrote:By the way Globerider already offers a simple bridle on their C-kites (KPO kite power optimizer) that does increase the range and de-power. But it is nowhere near what is possible on a Bow kite.
Ed
I think the reason that the KPO bridle doesn't have as much depower as a bow bridle is because it doesn't move the tow point ALL the way up to the top/center of the leading edge. It only moves it a little bit further up than the normal connection point on the wingtip.

UNSAFE
Frequent Poster

Re: C-Kite with optional Bow bridles?

Postby UNSAFE » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:22 pm

Spencer wrote:Why doesn't someone make a classic C-kite that also has attachment points for bow-style bridles and a bridle system that can be easily attached or removed? This kind of "convertible" kite would have the proven stability of the C-kites, and with bridles would have enough depower for beginners or wave-riders. If people wanted the classic kite feel, they could simply remove the bridles for jumping/tricks, and then put them back on again when heading to a good surf spot. Beginners and intermediates could leave the bridles on all the time for safety. I think that a bow-style bridle could turn even the most bad-ass hucking machine into a safe beginner kite, or smooth wave kite. Any ideas?

Spencer
Won't work. At least not well.

tweak
Medium Poster

Re: C-Kite with optional Bow bridles?

Postby tweak » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:42 pm

Spencer wrote:Why doesn't someone make a classic C-kite that also has attachment points for bow-style bridles and a bridle system that can be easily attached or removed? This kind of "convertible" kite would have the proven stability of the C-kites, and with bridles would have enough depower for beginners or wave-riders. If people wanted the classic kite feel, they could simply remove the bridles for jumping/tricks, and then put them back on again when heading to a good surf spot. Beginners and intermediates could leave the bridles on all the time for safety. I think that a bow-style bridle could turn even the most bad-ass hucking machine into a safe beginner kite, or smooth wave kite. Any ideas?

Spencer
It done. This is the point of the SAFE system on the Rage and Outrages

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wetstuff » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:13 pm

I think Spencer is right. I'm not an aerodynamicist, nor do I know dog s___t about fluid dynamics - but I've watched 5th lines for the past year change shapes of kites and - as he said - moved the tow point waaay forward of the normal settings to the point of 95% depower. With a variable-5th you can clearly change the range of the kite you are flying. (I'm neither smart enough to tell you what %, nor do I really care - simply what I observed at the bar.)

.....I only jump in here 'cause I brought a Gasstra 12M GXR into the shop that's been idle in storage to see if I can make a bow bridle for it. This Son-of-a-B___h kite is very well made, looks great but goes completely spastic when I lay my 85kig into it in its upper range.

So far: I've done a 5th - a front-to-rear crisscross bridle - a KPO type variable front....and before this bow stuff was thinking about adding to the LE at the tps to move the tow point outboard - with everything wroking OK but the kite still acting like one of them Bible nuts at a tent revival....but this bridle looks more interesting. I'll not be able to do any calculations, make CAD drawings but I have plenty of line and the shop to do it in. Even if I can't take the bucking out of it - I want to see what happens.

Will report back - win/loose.

Jim

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:51 pm

I don't think it's the flat shape that allows the depower, but rather the tow point.
I totally agree with you Spencer. I should have explained my point better.

When the lines are attached at or near the wingtips, directly or by bridle, a C-kite has very little sheeting range. You can literally cut the rear lines and the kite will still be substantially powered. A 5th line does deal with this, albeit awkwardly, because it gets the towpoint and horizontal pivot point higher up into the "C" of the kite.

But without totally rigid C-kites and/or bizarre struts and bridles, there is no way geometrically to get the horizontal pivot point up to where it needs to be in order to reduce: 1) bar travel, 2) bar pressure, and 3) bar pressure variation throughout the sheeting range, down to a minimum.

Flatter kites get around this challenge.

Return to “Kitesurfing”