All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:58 am 
Medium Poster

I know some who use the ss stopper on their xbows. No prob. Personally I don't use a stopper at all. Properly trimmed up the kite's a treat. Even with unhooked stuff. It just needs to be flown differently though. Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:06 am 
Very Frequent Poster

While I haven't flown the 16m xbow myself, I helped my friend set it up and launch, and watched him fly and help with the problems... We spoke at length about how this kite is compared to foils(FS Speed) and conventional LEI.

First is the speed at which it turns... if you don't power the kite it is slower to turn than a foil. No doubt about that... it's worse when the kite is parked, if you fly it through the window it turns quick though, foils are the same, when they are parked there is a lot of lag to turn it, once they move they turn faster. That hard centerline does nothing to make it easier either.

Power wise he said the kite is pathetic in the winds he tried (10-12kts). To be honest it looked pretty pathetic too. Definately not a low wind kite.

Relaunch is great, safety is great. We had the kite invert as well, he couldn't stand and started drifting with the wind. On another ocasion the kite fell backwards, with the LE facing away from us, relaunch here was impossible since a lot of water got on it somehow.

I made a note to look at the stitching and on one of the struts it also started pulling loose... only about 2mm though, but this kite only has 2 hours on it.

The stopper ball is damn near impossible to put on, especially in the water, but at least the kite flies fine without it so no biggie hopefully with a bit more use it wears in, but for now really stiff, so far we've managed to put it on 2 out of 6 tries.

A bit more time and I think one grows to like the kite... just a few issues to get past first but if you are willing to work them out you will no doubt enjoy the kite.

Last edited by jrobson on Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:08 am 
Frequent Poster

KiteKarl wrote:
Dax wrote:
Yeah waves... its good for waves because for waves you want the kite to "go away" with depower... bow kites "go away" very well.

I only ride in waves 5% of the time... so its not of big interest to me to get gear specifically for that. If I get a bow kite the main use will be for my girlfriend, but be sure if I am heading to the coast for the day I will be sure to grab it.

Lets see what the SS guys do with the Turbo Diesel, their team seems to be the current pioneers in the big wave riding with kites. They seem to think unhooked riding in the waves is the way to go though, bow kites don't help you at all there.

Hey UNSAFE... I thought the thread said no company associates. :wink:

The new bar system on the turbo diesels will be great for unhooked moves due to the sheeting system being below the bar and the variable stopper. I have no doubt that it will be a fantastic setup for riding waves unhooked.

what a pile of BS,

you guys havent even used the new diesel Slingshots and you make statements like this,,...what a joke.

second point is you have no idea about wave riding, the main point in riding waves is to make the power of the kite go away when you are on the wave, you can never do this properly unhooked.

stick to the facts, people are voting with their cash for Xbow's, frankly i would pay double the current price and still think its a great buy. :thumb:
NPR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:26 pm 
Frequent Poster

I call bullshit. Kiting 6 years and he only NOW registers on Kiteforum?
Bashing Cabrinha?
SQ, Alex, is that you?

Fuckoff back to the B*** forum.

Please guys, don't feed the trolls....

goPro4Life wrote:
Like I have said in a past post, I believe the flat kite has potentia...
AAAAHHHHHH........I guess I feel better, I will let you know tomorrow after I hear all your responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:25 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

No Pump ReQuired wrote:
KiteKarl wrote:
Dax wrote:
Yeah waves... its good for waves because for waves you want the kite to "go away" with depower... bow kites "go away" very well.

I only ride in waves 5% of the time... so its not of big interest to me to get gear specifically for that. If I get a bow kite the main use will be for my girlfriend, but be sure if I am heading to the coast for the day I will be sure to grab it.

Lets see what the SS guys do with the Turbo Diesel, their team seems to be the current pioneers in the big wave riding with kites. They seem to think unhooked riding in the waves is the way to go though, bow kites don't help you at all there.

The new bar system on the turbo diesels will be great for unhooked moves due to the sheeting system being below the bar and the variable stopper. I have no doubt that it will be a fantastic setup for riding waves unhooked.

what a pile of BS,

you guys havent even used the new diesel Slingshots and you make statements like this,,...what a joke.

second point is you have no idea about wave riding, the main point in riding waves is to make the power of the kite go away when you are on the wave, you can never do this properly unhooked.

NPR dont interupt while the adults are talking... If you actually read what we were saying it was in relation to the SS Team guys (Wilson, Tobias, Vari) who DO RIDE WAVES UNHOOKED. Massive waves, tubes, on surfboards... unhooked. See recent Magazine covers...

I was just wondering if they would change their tune with the Turbo Diesel, since the whole point would be to depower it using the CL.

Quote:
stick to the facts, people are voting with their cash for Xbow's, frankly i would pay double the current price and still think its a great buy. :thumb:
NPR

Haha, well however you spend your daddy's money is up to you I guess... Frankly the first affordable bow that also performs well will be the one I get for my girlfriend. I have plenty of money in the bank, but I don't feel like rewarding companies for inflated prices if it's not necessary.

Post subject: Who Cares!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:41 pm 
Medium Poster

Who cares!
Anyone with any Crossbow experience knows the kite is insane, they know its different, they know it can be used for all styles of riding, they know its mega safe, they know its got huge hangtime, they know its awesome in light wind, they know it rockets upwind, they know how to set up the bar to avoid arm strain, they know it makes kiting even more fun, and I never new it was even possble. They know and every other kite company scrambling to jump on the band wagon knows too.
So who cares.... the owners know.... it rocks!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Dax wrote:
I have plenty of money in the bank, but I don't feel like rewarding companies for inflated prices if it's not necessary.

Who the fuck cares how much money you have. The basics of business administration apply. There is a certain demand and a level of supply. If Cabrinha charges X and is happy with the volume and margin they are making they should leave the price exactly where it is.

Yes, I would love to pay less for my kites too. I actually would like to pay less for my car, the restaurant, my flights, my insurance.....

Stop dreaming!!! You want that kite (and I'm not saying it's the best on the market) you will have to pay market prices. If you don't want to pay, don't bash the kite for it.

Are you telling me that if you could sell your used kites to someone willing to pay the same price you paid at the time they were new you would not sell it to that person (idiot)?

If you would run your own business you would charge the highest possible amount you could get away with. Cabrinha, Naish, North, SS, Airush and others are not charities. They are there to make money, and lots of it. And that's their right!!!!

You probably wear birkenstock shoes if you believe things should be prices at minimal margins. Stalin was your friend I assume.

Fuckwitt!!!

P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:08 pm 
Medium Poster

I have a 12 CB and can hve great session jumping etc in 16 + mph I wiegh 95kg and use a icon 150, it rockets upwind, hangtime is sick, and wave riding is unsurpassed. CB's are like the difference between flying a bomber I(classic) and a fighter (CB). I would normaly need a twenty to get me going in 15+ mph so now tell me they have shitty low wind performance!!! they are incredable kites for sure. i am now bying a 16 CB and it will replace my 23.5 contra for lighter wind days for sure. :thumb: :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:13 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I started flying CBs with a 16 and just got a 9. IT'S CRAZY! We had three different sizes out at the same time. The 16 was jumping with good height and hang time but so were the other two. And with the 9 my first back loop turned into a well-powered kite loop. I can’t believe the lift. I thought the 16 was a good jumper and I thought the 12 would be the best but the 9 is insane! I can’t wait to get it out in 20mp wind. All of them were working for me in 12 to 15. We had four different riders with skills from good intermediate to seldom flying beginner. The beginner did not fly the 16 but she is at least 65 lbs lighter. I don’t think I need a 12 but I might buy one anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:37 pm 
Frequent Poster

Dax wrote:
No Pump ReQuired wrote:
KiteKarl wrote:
Dax wrote:

what a pile of BS,

NPR dont interupt while the adults are talking... If you actually read what we were saying it was in relation to the SS Team guys (Wilson, Tobias, Vari) who DO RIDE WAVES UNHOOKED. Massive waves, tubes, on surfboards... unhooked. See recent Magazine covers...

I was just wondering if they would change their tune with the Turbo Diesel, since the whole point would be to depower it using the CL.

Quote:
NPR

Haha, well however you spend your daddy's money is up to you I guess... Frankly the first affordable bow that also performs well will be the one I get for my girlfriend. I have plenty of money in the bank, but I don't feel like rewarding companies for inflated prices if it's not necessary.

Dax is your typical Slingshot butt plug boy.....unlike you, kiters around here dont sit around with their fingers up their butts waiting for pros to show them how its done, enjoy your own small world

I am sure Ben and Friends will show you your brownwings that you are craving & deserve.

[ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next