Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Golf Travel Bags: which airlines accept it for free?

Forum for kitesurfers
Taz P
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Taz P » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:13 pm

Pacific blue - Virgin blue (Australia - NZ - Fiji ...)

You are usually allowed 20kg BUT if you have a board bag or a sport bag, they consider it as 5 kg (even if it's 30kg - 32 max). You just need to tel them it's some sport gear and you're sweet!

Then you still have 15kg left that you can use for your clothes, toothbrush etc.

I love this company!!! They made my trips much easier!!!
Too bad there're only in the Pacific.

Taz P
Medium Poster

Postby Taz P » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:13 pm

Taz P wrote:Pacific blue - Virgin blue (Australia - NZ - Fiji ...)

You are usually allowed 20kg BUT if you have a board bag or a sport bag, they consider it as 5 kg (even if it's 30kg - 32 max). You just need to tell them it's some sport gear and you're sweet!

Then you still have 15kg left that you can use for your clothes, toothbrush etc.

I love this company!!! They made my trips much easier!!!
Too bad there're only in the Pacific.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:23 pm

I have never been charged for carrying my golf clubs on any airline in the United States, including trips to Hawaii.

David

windjunkie
Medium Poster

Postby windjunkie » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:14 pm

Here's an interesting story. Back in July I bought and NSI golf bag. I packed it carefully to stay under the weight limit. I get to the airport and the agent doesn't even give my bag a second look or even weigh the bag. I was pretty disappointed. I think maybe it's a fluke but on the trip back, it's the same.

My secret weapon? My 7 month old daughter! Of course I'm biased but she's pretty cute as far as babies go. On both sides the agent couldn't stop googling over her. I think I could have had a bag full of rocket launchers and they wouldn't have noticed.

Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Postby Nak » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:31 am

As of last spring, Northwest didn't charge for the golf bag OR for kiteboards either! Even to Hawaii... That may have changed, but kiteboards weren't listed so they don't charge extra.

Nak

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:12 am

purdyd wrote:I have never been charged for carrying my golf clubs on any airline in the United States, including trips to Hawaii.

David
You mean your "golf clubs", right? :wink:

bob wendler
Medium Poster

Postby bob wendler » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:29 am

The NSI golf bag works so far but time will probably catch up to that one. Suggested the idea to Mike while in Maui since we both had a hard time taking our gear and so far it seems to be working good since he did a good job to make them look smooth and sporty while only saying nsi Golf on it.

A nice clean rectangular bag can sometimes work as well as snowbord bags. As soon as it even remotly resembles a "Board Bag" you will get hit.

When I have to bring a lot of equipment, I use a huge windsurfing bag packed with 100lbs of gear and usually get charged about $75 to $150max. Then I can also bring a golf or SB bag and a very big back pack each up to 50lbs for free. Don't forget how much you can fit into one of those roller cary on bags. I put all my heavy stuff in that and the personal item that you can stuff under the seat, that's for your cloths if your going some where good. And no, please do not bother your AA pilot and bitch at him because his company just charged you so much for your shit like I spoke of in the other post. Unless you happen to bump into him while waiting for some grub at the airport.

Wolfgang
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Germany, flying GK Sonic 11+8, riding F-One Sk8 35 / Trax 39, Spleene Door 42

Postby Wolfgang » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:49 am

Easyjet.com: Golf bag 15 Euro, Surf equipment 24 Euro + 6,50 Euro per kg!!!

Germanwings.com: 25 Euro for any sport bag

hlx.com: 10 euro for any sport bag

mr:w
Rare Poster

Postby mr:w » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:33 pm

Excel Airways to Rhodes, Spain and Egypt with an NSI bag stuffed with 3 kites, 2 boards, 2 harnesses etc - no charge on any of the flights and the bag was approx 24kgs.

As soon as I said the bag was for golf clubs, no questions, no problem from the check-in girls - I was just directed to oversize luggage :thumb:

sw114
Rare Poster

Postby sw114 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:56 pm

Transavia airlines is accepting board bags under 150 cm, however the weight should be within the rest of your bagage: only 20 kg...So you can imagine that the diversity in my clothing is rather limited when I am on holiday! :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”