Forum for kitesurfers
Spam Dagger
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Who has actually flown a big bow

Postby Spam Dagger » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Interested in feedback from people who have actually flown a big bow.....20M Waroo, 19M Assault, 19M Answer, etc.

190 lbs and have way to much light wind. 15M waroo just can't cut it even with a bigger board. I suppose a SUP would work but I don't have $$ for one of those. No $$ for a silver arrow either.

Comments.

wadeinthewater
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cincinnati, Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks, St Pete Beach, CJ Brown Reservoir, Maumee bay.
VOA Park for landboarding/snowboarding
Style: grabs, boosting, cruising
Gear: KITES= 9m Best Waroo, 14m TurboDiesel2, 11m and 7m Fuels, 20m Yarga, BOARDS= Liquid Force Drop 132cm LTD, Jimmy Lewis Flightdeck 148cm lightwind, MBS Comp14 for land, 154cm Snowboard for the frozen stuff.
Helmet, NO BOARD LEASH

Re: Who has actually flown a big bow

Postby wadeinthewater » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:50 pm

I own a 14m Slingshot TD2 as my "big" kite. However, just this weekend while I was able to snowboard ok and stay upwind (no jumping possible) in deeper powder with my 14m, there was a guy out on a 19m LF Assult doing SMALL jumps, backrolls, etc. and cruising along pretty fast. He was about my weight, around 195lbs. It was on snow, but it was deep powder (around a foot) so the resistance was pretty substantial as far as snow goes. This was towards the end of the day, when the wind had lightened up and was maxing around 8mph with lulls even lower. I could tell that the larger kite gave him a distinct advantage in those particular conditions. Everyone seemed to be commenting on how well he was able to ride with the bigger kite in the dying wind. The only thing is, when the wind picks up even a little then the larger kites are quickly overpowered and something like a 14m or 16m becomes ideal. I just feel that the margin of riding you gain on the low end isn't worth the top end sacrifice. At the low end of the windrange it becomes the difference of needing to sine the smaller kite (14m) when you would be able to park the bigger wing (19m). But hey, if you can afford to add a dedicated light wind kite to your quiver then go for it. When riding on water, the board and your technique are just as important as the kite is in the super light stuff, IMO. At 195lbs... I can ride and stay upwind in steady 8mph winds on the water using a dedicated light wind twin tip and the 14m bow. Relaunch is not a problem either.

neworleansrich
Medium Poster

Postby neworleansrich » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:09 pm

This may fall into the "why bother" category for some people with more consistent wind, but with relatively light conditions here on the norther Gulf Coast we ride what we can.

I weigh 180lbs and regularly ride a 17m Slingshot T2 down to 10kts with a 179cm Litewave board. Even at these low wind speeds, it is possible to pull off small jumps, and twists. Above 12kts the T2 really gets going with big lofting jumps. Above 14kts, I typically switch to a smaller board. The 17m T2 seems to have more grunt than most of the 16m bows and LEI's that other guys ride around here. The 17m T2 is not a fast kite, but seems to have the power to always get me riding.

If the breeze is steady, I can ride below 9kts with a 6ft directional board, but that is just for cruising.

breathe
Frequent Poster

Postby breathe » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:26 pm

I weigh 205lbs and use my GK Sonic 17m a ton. I can start riding it at 10kts, and can ride it up to nearly 18kts. I only have two kites, a 12m Takoon Nova2 and the GK, and my range is 10kts to 30kts (not theorectical, I've ridden in all).

tukyank
Frequent Poster

Postby tukyank » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:39 pm

I had a 17M (2007) and now have a Flysurfer Speed 19 SA.
I'm 195lbs.
IMO - in light wind (<12kts) board and rider skill make a bigger difference than the kite.
For example - there is very little difference in the light wind bottom end between my Cabrinha Xbow 2 - 12M and my Contra 17.....when riding on a SS Glide (wide and totally flat).
When I first got my Contra and X-bow - I thought there was a huge difference in low end, but as I became more skilled in light wind and in working the kite - I concluded that I didn't need the Contra. (some will say that the 2008 Contra is better - which it very well may be).

I broke the bank and got the Speed 19 SA because there are too many damn days in the 6-12kt range in my area. with the SA - I can be having fun (handle passes and jumps) in 8kts.

So what's my advice? Unless you go all out for a Speed 19 - spend your $$ on a wide FLAT board, or surf board. As long as you have a 12-14M new kite (2007 on) - you'll be good in 8kts.

Chingadero
Medium Poster

Postby Chingadero » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:52 pm

Kites for "big boys" That work:

Freak Dog EZE 13m
Eclipse Thruster
Wind Wing 15.5m
Cabrinha Contra
GK Sonic 17m

VOMKB
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force

Postby VOMKB » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:07 am

I distribute Caution kites, so take my input with a grain of salt. I can tell you that the Answer 2 19 works fine in light winds. It has been riden successfully in 9 knots by a 185 lbs rider on a surfboard, an Underground freewave, and a Spleene door. Keep in mind that the kite/board combo is what works great in light winds, so you may need more than the kite itself. We also have experience with the Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2 19, and it is probably the best light wind kite there is; however, for the price difference between the Answer and the SA 19, former will work find with the right gear combo.

Jaime

20 m or bust
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dalrock, Ray Roberts
Favorite Beaches: Mustang Island, Stink Beach
Style: Free ride
Gear: Waroos
Stretch board

Postby 20 m or bust » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:34 am

I ride a 06 Waroo 20 m. I wiegh 275 and so can hold it down to about 22 mph on my 143 stretch board. I need somewhere close to consistant 14 mph to get started. The kite turns a little to slow, but had great low end grunt. I have flown an 07 waroo 20m as well. Turns faster and has the grunt. I use only Best due to the 20.

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:51 am

Spam Dagger wrote:Interested in feedback from people who have actually flown a big bow.....20M Waroo, 19M Assault, 19M Answer, etc.

190 lbs and have way to much light wind. 15M waroo just can't cut it even with a bigger board. I suppose a SUP would work but I don't have $$ for one of those. No $$ for a silver arrow either.

Comments.

Considering everything, your best bet is to find an '06 20M Waroo, for maybe 2 or 3 hundred dollars. It is the next best thing to a Flysurfer. I have an '06 20M Waroo, but it is the last kite I would part with. It is slow turning and big, but I love cruising around in water without whitecaps. The best part, though, is that if the wind does come up, then, you can still control it to get back to shore, because of the great depowering SLE feature. This was not the case with the old 26M Flysurfer I used to go out on 7 MPH winds. If the wind came up to 13MPH, it was all I could do to hang on for dear life. Beware of getting a good deal on an old Flysurfer! I think that the new ones depower a lot better now, but for three grand, they ought to.

k2ski3
Medium Poster

Postby k2ski3 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:35 am

At 190lbs, you should be able to ride your 15m Waroo with a wide, flat board upwind in 10knots with good apparent wind skills. If you are trying to ride upwind in 8 knots, then a Flysurfer Speed or Speed2 is the answer your looking for. The Silver Arrow will give you an extra knot of low end but you definitely pay heavily for that gain.

Just remember to build up your board speed to gain apparent wind before you start cutting upwind in 10knot crap. I personally don't believe trading off kite speed for more grunt is the answer and it is definitely harder to jump larger kites since you need more weight to hold down those pigs when you go to send it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”