Forum for kitesurfers
Kite Scarecrow
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Handle pass question

Postby Kite Scarecrow » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:15 pm

I tired the search function, but it didnt really give me direct answers so I thought I would post this question...

For those of you who can pull off a handlepass
1) which trick were you working on when you figured out you could probablly do a HP.
2) Did you start on land (with a HP trainer) or did you just give it a rip in the water

I have been working on an unhooked front roll... I have pulled them a couple of times, but the wind is soo sketchy here now, I havent had the correct pull. So what I have been thinking was going for a hadlepass while upside-down, but
3) how do I get the rotation initiated (ie. the rotation on the axis from my head to my toes)

Just a few question, Thanks for your time...

iAN

jason_ssr
Frequent Poster

Postby jason_ssr » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:01 pm

I dont have many tips for sent passes, but for no-whip stuff, its similar to the boat. You just flat spinning or trying mobes? Have you tried unhooked backrolls and roll to reverts? I think that hs mobe would be the quickest. its a natural movement behind the boat, so it should be behind the kite as well.

Kite Scarecrow
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kite Scarecrow » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:08 am

I really dont know what it LOOKS like, but it feels like I am loading up my lines on a starboard tack, poping and going over my right shoulder. I think it is pretty much like a front flip...not flat like a laid out (hooked in) flat spin.

Breeze
Rare Poster

Postby Breeze » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:39 am

as far as hp's go i would strongly advise trying flat spin one's first.

On land:
first i learnt the most basic technique with a 3 meter foil in windy conditions... or a small 5m lei kite. I also practiced on bigger kites with short lines (7m) learning to pass quickly and accurately without moving the kite too much. The bigger kite gives you a more accurate feel of how much pull you will be experiencing w/o too much danger.

I never practiced on a bar attached to a tree but i know many whom have done it that way. That maybe better for when you are trying mobes i think.

On water:
First: on water 360's
Second: little flat 3's
Third: This was kind of a mistake but I could do railey's to revert really easy so I tried just continuing the spin past revert w/ handle pass...

Then I tried mobes and inverted hp's

I wasn't to into thrown mobes so I wanted to learn good solid handlepasses w/o the kite moving. that's just me.

I don't think it is a good idea to start with a mobe regardless of either sending the kite or not b/c there are alot of unfamiliar forces happening to your shoulder etc...

bunged up shoulders suck... believe me.. i got two of them -- and not able to handlepass for the last 6 months b/c of it.

Larpy
Frequent Poster

Postby Larpy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:33 am

Although I can't do a mobe or other sent type HPs I can do surface quite easily. So basically I'm in the same spot as you are. I‘ve tried a few flat 3's and they feel a bit easier then a mobe but been told they are harder/more dangerous as if you buger them you can hurt your knees quite easily (?). Tried mobes not even close.

I also tried dry land stuff as well but it is very hard to pass the handle as you really have to kick hard to create the right dynamics to pass the bar. It didn't help that there was cement below the bar so failing was not really an option. I agree with the progression stated above but dame they are the next level for sure.

jason_ssr
Frequent Poster

Postby jason_ssr » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:47 pm

Again, I can only speak from experience behind the boat, but HS front flips w/handlepasses are the hardest mobes to do. Those would be the HS front mobe and the slim chance. Can you pop well off your TS on a starboard tack? If so you may want to work on TS fronts and Crows. Then a crowmobe wouldnt be much of a stretch. it is one of the easier ones behind a boat.

Kite Scarecrow
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kite Scarecrow » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:14 pm

Thanks jason, but lets clarify Toe side, and heal side... as I have found myself confused before.

jason_ssr
Frequent Poster

Postby jason_ssr » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:33 pm

heelside is edging with the side of the board your heels are on. This is how you most commonly tack on a kiteboard. toeside is edging with the side of the board that your toes are on. So, if you are edging starboard with your right foot in front, you are HS. if you do a bunny hop 180 and remain in a starboard tack but now your left foor is in front, you are toeside.

R1ck
Frequent Poster

Postby R1ck » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:17 pm

set up a monkey bar and spend a week on it, ull have all the passes down. if u can throw it on the hangin bar u can throw it behind the kite. and its all in the movement, send the kite and right as u reach the top throw ur legs forward and up like an unhooked deadman (keep the bar near hips) and rotate your body.

Return to “Kitesurfing”