Forum for kitesurfers
Balloonboy
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: sandy
Style: Kook-style
Gear: Kite + bar + board
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Balloonboy » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:54 pm

Thats what Airush did with their Halo bars.

BK
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: CABRINHA Rider and Representative
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby BK » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:56 pm

I have rode the Powerlock since it was introduced, and rode the NSI cleat to lock in prior to that. There are definitely times when locking in on a properly trimmed kite gives me the break I need to beat it upwind, or lock in to glide without muscling it. It is a great system, and yes, it has a little more risk. If you are not comfortable with it, then don't use it. I assume that you will be the guy wearing a helmet while driving your car, because if safety is number one, a head injury in a car is more likely. Not to diminish the need for safety on the kite, but you still have that big red ring at your belly button to bail the whole thing. Lastly, looks like you can rotate your harness loop 180 degrees during launching, or gusty conditions to prevent any chance of locking in.

BK

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:36 pm

Doesn't look too good for unhooked riding, the chicken loop is going to be dangling on the inch or two of trim line.

tukyank
Frequent Poster

Postby tukyank » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:53 pm

Anybody had more experience with the Crossbow Power lock?

As I get more experienced with my x-bow 16, I have a lot of difficulty imagining how it would work locked in at full power. As many X-bow riders know - the secret to going up wind and building speed is to sheet out and trim to get that "sweet spot". The only time I ever go full power is jumping or the odd time when there is a lull in the wind.
Although I understand that the Cab Power Lock would be great for no hands jumping - where I really need it is when cruizing or working back upwind. One could argue that the stopper ball is for that, but I find the stopper ball usesless. It either pops off too easily - or now that I'm snow kiting - its too cold and I can not re-engage the stopper ball.

Is there a trick to riding full powered on the x-bow? or is there a better power lock option out there?

smokey
Frequent Poster

Postby smokey » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:29 pm

Don't ride the bows but have experience with cabrinha power locks,
The key is the depower strap, just ajust it till you have the power you want when hooked in.

It seems that bow users have forgotten about the depower strap for tunning the kite, I guess your just used to pushing away from you.

Smokey

tukyank
Frequent Poster

Postby tukyank » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:02 pm

Yes - you could pull the trim all the way in (max trim depower) so that the kite was set at the optimal level when the bar is sheeted fully in and powerlocked.....but then you have no room to pull extra power for jumps or in the lulls.

I guess, it all depends on when you want to power lock. For me, its long runs workin it back up wind. In theory, I could do some trim adjusting when going on an upwinder then put on the powerlock. Once ready to do some jumping, I could let out some trim and and un-power lock.

Does this make sense?
.....there's got to be a better way
(I'm watching the various concepts being discussed on this forum - keep it going guys!)

Ocean Lover
Medium Poster

Postby Ocean Lover » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:01 pm

What happens when the power lock is tightend hard enough to feel like it will stay in place.. Then you proceed to pull off some sick ass unhooked moves, stressing the power lock in ways you can't with your bare hands, it slides down in front of the saftey.. then you get yourself in a situation that you need to pop out your saftey (xbow has a push out safety kinda like Naish only made out of hard plastic)... only to find that it's jammed by your stopper ball which slid down to far.

Something to look out for when tightening this baby. :bye:

thekiterider2000
Medium Poster

Postby thekiterider2000 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:23 pm

Most CB riders are looking for a way to reduce bar pressure while riding. This post and the introduction of the powerlock accessory are witness to that and are a reaction by Cabrinha to the criticism of the bar pressure.

There is a very simple fix to the bar pressure issue. It is a small mod that takes about 15 mins and costs less than $15 that reduces the bar pressure very substantially. I have tested the mod several times on my 16M crossbow as has a friend in Melbourne who advised me to look at the theory and make the mod.

It has no effect on the depowerability of the kite whatsoever.

Some detailed drawings and a photo of the mod will be put together shortly to ensure that anyone wishing to make the change can do so safely and quickly.

Nothing needs to be cut in any way and once made the mod allows you to sheet in and out vitually with one hand in any condition. My comment to my friend today was "what bar pressure !!" Another bow rider took it for a spin and came back with a grin from ear to ear. He said "it rides just like a small C kite"

I am happy about my 16 C/bow again and so are my elbows.

Watch this space.

Fitzy Gold Coast OZ
Last edited by thekiterider2000 on Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FredMurphy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredMurphy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:41 pm

thekiterider2000 wrote:Watch this space.
Sounds good. I'm watching...

bigmark100
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sydney
Favorite Beaches: Capetown, Venezuela, Perth
Style: styleless
Gear: Nobile, Cabrihna

Postby bigmark100 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:43 pm

eargerly waiting.