Forum for kitesurfers
chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East
Has thanked: 0

Postby chemosavi » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:58 pm

I use Force Fins because they are easy to get off and on over my booties. http://www.forcefin.com

Did use the ones from Hawaii with velcro because they were so light and flat but I was exhausted by the time I got them on my feet due to how hard they are to put on in deep water.

I use the "original" Force Fin. They are nice............
Last edited by chemosavi on Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brant Beach LBI
Style: Old School
Gear: Slingshot Machine 12M & 9M
Airush Ultra 17
Nomad Ultrawave
Rogue Wave 132
Rogue Wave Fat Bastard
Brand Affiliation: No Brand Affiliation

Postby Xtream » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:30 pm

chemosavi-

Thanks for the info, which ones do you use there are so many different types.

X

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:15 am

Aprox asked: "Is the reel self-winding? If not, how do you put it back together when it extends?"

Answer: It is a fly fishing reel which has a little stub of a handle on the side, which you use to reel in the line, just like you were fishing. It is not hard to reel in the line, as long as you tie the reel on to your harness, so that it does not flop around. I tied my reel on using about 2 foot of shoe lace, by lacing the shoe lace through some of the many holes in the back of the reel, and looping the lace around the straps on the harness. I also drilled 2 holes in the plate which normally is cinched down under two rings on the fishing pole. I also fed shoelace through these 2 holes and looped the lace around one of the straps on the harness. The less the reel moves around on your harness, the easier and faster it will be to reel in the line.

They do make a spring loaded self reeling fly fishing reel, but no real fly fisherman would use it. They are kind of a joke among the fishing crowd. I don't think that this type of fly reel would be powerful enough to reel in a kiteboard, so I didn't bother to try one. I think that this type of reel must contain gears along with a spriral wound spring. I bet that using a spring and gear mechanism, one could make a self-winding kite reel leash that would allow a kiteboard to go out a safe distance from the kiter (30 feet?), and then automatically reel the board back in. If kiteboarding was a larger sport, then it might be profitable for someone to go to the trouble to make a proper kiteboard leash. I think the Oceanic leash was designed for surf boards.

aprok
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby aprok » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:50 am

noel wrote:Hugo, Good to hear you are all right. The cops called the shop looking for you @ 8:00pm. You were on a 13m huh? Probably alittle too big of a kite for that day considering I was in the ocean on the same kite with straight on shore winds, LIT, for the entire day and I've been riding for 6 years. The bay really doesn't have much current unless you are near an inlet. Where did you ride? I waited to see you all day and Mike joined me @ 4:00pm till dark and he was on a 14m Vegas, LIT. We needed the extra power because of the head high swell but if I were in the bay I would have been on a 9m or 11m. Good to here from you. Tomorrow I am going snowkiting in Medford for the day. If you get a chance and have time, come out. I'll be in the cornfields on rt. 70 all day.
How was snowkiting today?

aprok
Medium Poster

Postby aprok » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:00 am

chemosavi wrote:I use Force Fins because they are easy to get off and on over my booties. http://www.forcefin.com

Did use the ones from Hawaii with velcro because they were so light and flat but I was exhausted by the time I got them on my feet due to how hard they are to put on in deep water.

I use the "original" Force Fin. They are nice............
Do you carry fins solely for situations where you must detach yourself from the kite??? If we start carrying things for every possible screw-up situation, we might as well be towing a pontoon boat every session.

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:46 am

I guess before going far from land, I would always have a plan for getting back - unassisted, without kite or board. Then I would come up with a better plan, so that I could get my kite and board back to land unassisted.

You did the right thing - when the chips were down, you sacrificed your gear. But if I was going out in cross-off conditions with currents and extremely cold water temps, I'd stick pretty close to land or have boat support already on the water, or do the 7mm + fins thing so I could swim a few miles with little/no risk of hypothermia.

The more risks you take, the more prepared you should be.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:02 am

I've got to say, that going out in those conditions is just plain stupid. Swimming against the wind/current is really difficult at the best of times. The odds of something going wrong are pretty high - losing a board during a jump is not such an uncommon experience, & to be in cold water & close to dark with no exit downwind is more risk then it's worth taking.

I have spent 25 years windsurfing & kiting in (seasonally) cold water, often alone, & in that time have several times broken booms, masts, fins, kitelines, bladders & lost boards. Where I ride the wind is generally onshore, which means if something goes wrong I will drift in to shore. I never go further offshore than I judge I will be able swim/drift in with risking serious hypothermia.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:55 pm

Aprok, Had a great time snowkiteing yesterday in a field in Medford about the size of 20 football fields until the cops came and kicked me out because I was using the top bar of a soccer goal net (@ 8-10 ft. high) for a rail. Boy that was fun. Then I went to a sand pit in Jackson NJ where it had more terrain. (hills, and ramps) The sand under the snow was a bit soft and every once in a while I would come to an abrupt stop. 2hrs. in the ride I looked up and saw some deer hunters watching me. I'm sure they were thinking, "What the hell?" Friday we should get some more snow and if anyone in central NJ wants to go, I need some people to make it more exciting. Gets kind of boring by yourself.Let me know.

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Airush Ultra 17
Nomad Ultrawave
Rogue Wave 132
Rogue Wave Fat Bastard

Postby Xtream » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:56 pm

Noel,

What type of board are you using, I have been thinking about trying snowkiting but I would need to get some gear,Board, boots, bindings, pants jacket, Any deals on equipment. I may just save the money for OR Drysuit.
I was planning on getting back down to James Street on Saturday if the conditions are good I can handle 40F air temp and 47-50F water temp, with my current wetsuit setup. Currently the outlook is for 15-20 West winds which will be good for James St (On-shore) but at the point its easy to get out. :thumb:

X

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Airush Ultra 17
Nomad Ultrawave
Rogue Wave 132
Rogue Wave Fat Bastard

Postby Xtream » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:40 am

Noel,,,, are you still out there man...Send me a private message if you don't want to post. Maybe your still out in the cornfields of NJ!

X

Return to “Kitesurfing”