All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Low budget action camera
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:47 pm 
Medium Poster

any suggestions on a low budget action camera, i can attach to kite? I am a beginner kiter, just at the point to stay up on the board small amounts of time (one direction only). Maybe this is not a decent investment at this point, as i am sure my kite will do some nose dives. lol.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Low budget action camera
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:38 pm 
Frequent Poster

I recommend waiting until you progress with your skill. You need to have 100% focus on your kite when learning. Safety should be your number one priority at this point, not fiddling with an action cam.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

You can probably pick up a used or older model gopro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:23 pm 
Rare Poster

Go Pros generally are well priced, its buying all the mounts that adds up.

The go pro clones like the swann HD Action cam come with a large number of mounts in the box and also a waterproof remote control. From memory mine also came with a wrist strap that you may be able to wrap around your centre strut.

Worth a look. The image quality isn't any better than the original go pro but they are fairly cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

GoPro has a more simple camera on the market at a lower price with fewer features and options than the Black or Silver Hero 4 cameras. The "Hero" at $129.99, intended as an entry level, low price point camera. The operation is more simplistic despite which the image quality is pretty good. I liked the color fidelity in particular with this camera. Neither the camera nor battery are removable with this setup. I would chose the Black or Silver Hero 4 cameras for the money vs. capability myself but the Hero beats going without entirely and at a good price.

Features 1080p30 and 720p60 video, 5MP photos up to 5 frames per second, QuikCapture, SuperView™ and Auto Low Light. Waterproof to 131’ (40m).

More at http://shop.gopro.com/cameras/hero/CHDHA-301.html

Attachments:
HERO_Feature_0.jpg
HERO_Feature_0.jpg [ 26.17 KIB | Viewed 642 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:46 am 
Rare Poster

I have this camera: SJ4000 action cam. It looks just like a gopro and has a clear waterproof housing like a gopro... but it is not exactly the same shape. It comes with a big pile of mounts but nothing specific to kiteboarding.

If you're super price-conscious, you can get one of those knockoffs for a fraction of what a gopro costs, and it does the basics (1080p @ 30fps; the 60fps slomo does NOT work the way that you might expect). It hooks to most kiteboarding mounts, though I had some trouble getting it to hook up to a line mount.

I kinda wish I had a name brand gopro because they're built better and the picture quality would be better, but as I am just a noob and not even jumping yet, I'm not making videos for millions to see; instead it records what I've done on the water so when I'm feeling sad or bummed that I live 3 hours from the ocean, I can watch the water zip by on my helmet-cam. Video from my last kite trip shot with that camera.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:01 am 
Very Frequent Poster

GoPro are good and the new base model should be ok. Fogging is always a problem with housings in cold water.

However, nothing shouts "nice person!!!!!!!" louder than having a camera mounted on you, especially if you're a crap kiter. Leave the camera in the box for at least a couple of years. Even then, don't bring it out until your skills are really, really solid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:24 pm 
Medium Poster

Timothy, i got the same camera, seems built quit nice for the price. how did you mount to the kite, did you use the accessories provided with the camera? It is pretty cool how the picture is stable when guys attach it to the kite.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:05 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hmmm :roll:

If you want to mount it in the kite, I would stay away from those super wideangle cams :(

Get a really good camera instead, that is way better, and can also be used for "general" photos in every single way :thumb:

Sony TX20 or 30 f.ex, and you got it.
Or any similar camera, like a Pentax WG1 or 2 if you want timelapse also.
Lots of options and not as expensive and better suited as optical zoom, which is often needed when in the kite, and quality excellent..

Using these pov cams like the Go Pro or similar, does not work in a kite IMO :roll:

You see the whole world as a small ball, because it has no zoom at all, only the fisheye angle which is no good IMO.

For a linemount they are fine (but really wiggly and not that good)

But for a kitemount, you can get way better cameras and cheaper - besides the fact that they can be used much more and for other things too :naughty:

8) Peter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:06 pm 
Rare Poster

keegster17 wrote:
Timothy, i got the same camera, seems built quit nice for the price. how did you mount to the kite, did you use the accessories provided with the camera? It is pretty cool how the picture is stable when guys attach it to the kite.

I borrowed a camrig mount for kite struts -- definitely the way to go, rather than trying to cobble something together with the mounts that came with the camera.

Now I just have to figure out how people rotate the video so the rider stays level while the kite rotates around the frame.

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next