All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Small Coffin Bag or Two Smaller Bags
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:42 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Looking for some advice for flying a small island airline. Silverairways fly Saab 340B aircraft with 33 seats. Do you think I would be better off with a single small coffin bag, 62" x 9" x 13" (84 lineal inches), under 50 lbs. or breaking things into two smaller bags (a thin, light snowboard bag and small net gear bag) each under 62 lineal inches? They say there is a $200. each way charge for bags over 62 lineal inches vs. $35. to $40. for those at or under 62 lineal inches and 50 lbs.. Just carrying a small tt, a single kite, etc.. Back in the day I would just go with the coffin bag or even a larger golf bag, today, I am not so sure.

Advice? Thanks!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Small Coffin Bag or Two Smaller Bags
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:52 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

That's a pretty big small plane so you should be ok either way I would think, but probably have to pay $$$. Maybe check ahead with them what they will take tho?
Far as I know lineal inches on a bag is L+W+H so I think your snowboard bag idea is the only way to avoid charge for big bag, but 62-13-4=45, that gives me the feeling even a tiny board 115x35 might be "too big" or at the limit. Personally I like directionals and don't have one that comes apart so I have few options except "pay up" :-?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:01 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Thank you for your input. For years I have typically left the boards at home and merely rented at the destination. That's not an option this time and it's a short trip on top of it. Back in the day you can count on uneven levels of enforcement of the baggage Regulation and fees. Today again I'm not so sure but might have to pay as you say. Heading to the airport now everything is loaded into the coffin bag. I may just take it out and see what happens and if necessary take it out to the car and repack. They can also zing me with a sports gear charge. Modern day flying haven't they Heard fuel prices have come down?

BWD wrote:
That's a pretty big small plane so you should be ok either way I would think, but probably have to pay $$$. Maybe check ahead with them what they will take tho?
Far as I know lineal inches on a bag is L+W+H so I think your snowboard bag idea is the only way to avoid charge for big bag, but 62-13-4=45, that gives me the feeling even a tiny board 115x35 might be "too big" or at the limit. Personally I like directionals and don't have one that comes apart so I have few options except "pay up" :-?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I lucked out with A regular prepaid bag fee on the outbound leg. Fingers crossed coming back is just as easy.

[ 4 posts ]