Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite quiver upgrade advise is DT SLS worth it?

Forum for kitesurfers
SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None

Kite quiver upgrade advise is DT SLS worth it?

Postby SolarSet » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:18 pm

Hey guys,

I'm struggling a lot on figuring out how to get about my next quiver.
My weight is 86kg dry.

Currently I have 2022/23 original Evo 8, 10 and 13m and last fall I bought 8m Rebel '23 model for windy days.

I'm considering getting a Evo SLS '23 10m and Dice SLS '23 13m as a replacement of Evo 10 & 13. Evo SLS '23 in 13m is no longer available

My priorities for kites are:
  • Decent wind range (I don't use almost depower on bar)
  • Hang time for big jump to improve grabs, boards offs etc,.
  • Good looping abilities to gain confidence in powered loop in 4-6m height.
  • Durability.
  • Easy-ish resale.
From April there suppose to be new Core Nexus 4 that I'm curious about because of Core durability/quality.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Re: Kite quiver upgrade advise is DT SLS worth it?

Postby Blackened » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:33 pm

Hey fella,

8m - Stay as you are. I still think about getting a Rebel as my storm kite. Sell the Evo 8m.
10m - Upgrade to SLS - For looping, the SLS is a bit faster with better bar feedback. Although I learnt to loop in an old pulley Evo 10m, so it's not required.
13m - Stay as you are. Your existing kite is better for hangtime for board offs.

No need to swap brands unless you can get a good deal on something. Evo is a better jumper than the Nexus, but the nexus is better all-round.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
SolarSet (Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:07 pm

I would say keep your current kites unless worn and add a 17m.
At 86kg on a twintip I can’t believe you don’t have one. Or maybe you do but don’t mention it here.
I ride my 17m most frequently of any size I own at only 77kg and love the hangtime. I use it in 15kt and its great when nicely lit up like that. I would think you could slay on a 17m at your weight. Obviously not for looping midair, but for grabs/boardoffs, it will make it easier than ever.

Can’t comment on sls , but lighter is definitely better if the durability is approx the same.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SolarSet » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:54 pm

Thanks you guys for you opinions.
Shop offered me Dice SLS 2023 13m with almost 50% discount so I decided to pull trigger on it. I bought EVO 10m SLS to work as pair and will keep Rebel 8m SLS as smallest kite.

I will test it in incoming season and if I don’t like it I will change it back to Evo 13m. My current Evo 13m has the most hours from my set and needs to be replaced the soonest. It’s much more difficult to sell Dice than Evo but higher discount maybe will offset it.

I hope dice 13m SLS will be sufficient for 14-15kts @86kg like my current Evo 13m is, I’m happy to work kite to get going and for trips abroad long line extension are probably essential.

There seems to be quite a lot of hype around Dice among people who ride it so I’m very curious if there is something about this kite.
Greenturtle wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:07 pm
I would say keep your current kites unless worn and add a 17m.
I think that for really light wind I would return to foiling, at my spot almost none uses larger kites than 14m. As mention my quiver has 2 years and quite few hours on it, 8m evo has least so I kinda have to change 10 and 13m and it start to show wrinkles on material in places.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SolarSet » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:08 pm

I had chickened out on Dice and ordered Evo SLS 13m ‘24 instead Dice SLS. Too worried about low end of dice and often in summer I ride on the lower end of my current Evo 13m range and if I had any less I would had walk of shame upwind that I’m too old for. Had to pay additional €400 but if this means I can get another 10 sessions over dice it’s worth it.

I do plan to test Dice as I was originally planning to get Dice 10m as my middle size kite as it doesn’t matter the low end that much in middle size kite but in larger size it matters the most and I’m not ready for anything larger than 14m for now.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:08 pm

I think that was the smarter move. I love the way my 12m Dice SLS flies, but the low end is not where the Dice excels.

That being said, I need to see why my 10m Dice SLS seems to be leaking…
These users thanked the author Sun for the post:
SolarSet (Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:43 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

aitorlopezosua
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 100
Local Beach: Melbourne, Port Phillip Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Point, Macapa, Aitutaki, Le Morne
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Duotone

Postby aitorlopezosua » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:31 am

Sun wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:08 pm
I think that was the smarter move. I love the way my 12m Dice SLS flies, but the low end is not where the Dice excels.

That being said, I need to see why my 10m Dice SLS seems to be leaking…
In my case 3 out of 5 Dice SLS kites leaked. Pump kite hard (8 PSI) and check with soapy water around main valve and surrounds for leakes. Don't worry if you find too many bubbles, they could come from just one tiny pin hole. Easy to patch, not easy to find find the bladder out. DTK should provide you new bladder under Warranty.

suisd12
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 80
Has thanked: 0

Postby suisd12 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:11 am

Dice 13 sls should be fine in 14-15 knots. It moves really nice. Stationary will have a bit less power than your old 13m bud should be possible to compensate by moving the kite well. Jumps better in my view if you move it well

suisd12
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 80
Has thanked: 0

Postby suisd12 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:12 am

I never have leaks around my valve and think most people dont realize how carefull you have to be to connect the hose. And how carefull not to get sand in there

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SolarSet » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:05 am

suisd12 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:11 am
Dice 13 sls should be fine in 14-15 knots. It moves really nice. Stationary will have a bit less power than your old 13m bud should be possible to compensate by moving the kite well. Jumps better in my view if you move it well
Once you start to move kite went riding it means you are loosing upwind unless it during water start? I returned from Soma Bay recently and few times I was riding on my Evo 13m and long lines 26m and I was on the edge of going upwind, any less power from kite I would not be able to go upwind! I don't care that much if I have too little wind on my local spot I would just go home but when going on holidays you want to ride as much as possible.

I'm planning to test Dice SLS this year as maybe I would like it better than EVOs.

Return to “Kitesurfing”