All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: How do we keep our kitesurfing gear safe?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:24 am 
Rare Poster

After the huge kitesurfing event, Kitestock, at Port Denison Australia, a few unlucky kitesurfers left with a bad taste in their mouth after having over $10,000 worth of kitesurfing equipment stolen.

After, police gained knowledge of who may be responsible, police searched a property in Port Denison and recovered tons of Kitesurfing equipment. Two teens were arrested and charged with the thefts. They later plead guilty and were fined $3200.

How do we protect our kiteboarding equipment from loss or thieves?

As a kitesurfer, we see the wind pumping and are excited to get out on the water to try our new tricks or to master our water starts. No one wants to get out on the beach and have a leaky bladder a broken line but the worst would be to have our equipment stolen to ruin our session. So how do we safeguard our equipment from thieves or loss?

Write your name, email, and phone number on all of your equipment! If you don’t want to write directly onto your board, place a sticker on the board and then write your information there. Most kites also have a place to write your information on the inside wing tip. I’ve seen boards returned to kiters up to a week later after they lost their board in deep water because of this. Also, many kitesurfers have the same gear. Someone may pick up your Cabrinha control bar because it looks exactly like theirs but if you have written your name and information it will most likely be returned to you.
Pack your gear or keep it locked up or in your site if you aren’t using it! Even if you take a break for a couple of hours, pack up your kite! Not only is it bad to leave a kite in the sun and flapping in the wind, someone could steal it!
Take pictures of your gear and keep receipts from purchases! If your equipment is stolen and hopefully recovered, you can prove that the gear is yours.
Write posts on craigslists, kiteforum, or your local kiteforum and post pictures to let people know your gear is missing!
Check (before your gear goes missing) with your home or rental insurance policies to see if they will cover loss of sporting goods equipment.
Following these few easy steps will hopefully keep you on the water for your best session yet!

My kiteshop:
http://kbashops.com

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: How do we keep our kitesurfing gear safe?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:50 pm 
Frequent Poster

One of the places where I ride theft is more of a concern than at others. At that spot I always keep any gear I'm not using locked up in my car. It's a little inconvenient, but worth the effort IMO. I started doing this after I came back to shore just in time to see a beachgoer pick up my kite bag and start to walk off with it. He dropped it as soon as I yelled at him, but if I had come in 5 minutes later I would have lost the bag and pump.

Don

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:21 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I typically lock any unused equipment back in my ute. Its got heavily tinted canopy windows so very hard to see whats in there.

Occasionally i have 2 boards and leave one on the beach.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:01 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Car break ins are a big problem in Hawaii, the criminals have a revolving door to go back on the street after they get caught.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:28 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hawaiis wrote:
the criminals have a revolving door to go back on the street after they get caught.

And that being said ; local punks with No fear or morals are responsible ; to
catch them :

There are a few company's that make GPS devises, that can be easily hidden
in your gear . Actually, you could get a second cell-phone with the ability to track
your children. GPS tract with cookies every 15 min will tell Ya where it is , but turn Off
the ringer.

Is a stun-gun and a baseball-bat, allowed where you live ? :D

Bille

[ 5 posts ]