All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: wetsuit for cape town ?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:53 am 
Frequent Poster

Coming to Cape Town for King of the air. Would I be ok with a 4mm suit which is cut off at the knee. The suit is a winter suit and has long arms. Coming from UK so used to very cold water. Looks like a few of the riders were wearing these last year.
Thanks

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: wetsuit for cape town ?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:06 am 
Frequent Poster

would be ok.
there are so many shops selling everything at cheaper price than europe and tax refund on leaving.
now crowded.......queues to catch the wave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:15 am 
Rare Poster

Bring full suit. I was there last year and an overknee was great during s few days of abnormally warm water but then when its temperature returned back to normal I felt the ice freezing water on my calfs, I was using a full suit afterwards.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:09 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Personal preferences :D

I have been riding there in either just shorts (and loads of sun block), or summershorty, and a few times in my short arm long leg 3/2 summersuit (when really cold, or just before sunset when going far out).
Live in Denmark so used to this water, just like you - and the wind is much warmer so you dont need much suit, more of a sunblock and in case you gotta be in the water for a long time.
Watertemperature is quite pleasant down there IMO, eventhough not warm so a bit of suit is usually required..

Some are just in a shorty, works fine, others have been using their old 5/3 wintersuits, so everything is possible - but long arms/legs so you keep the sun away, and can swim for long if necessary, and a really thin suit say 3/2 as no reason to choose a less flexible one, is IMO the best overall for most riders in that area :thumb:

I think your 4/3 cut legs are perfect, eventhough you might be REALLY warm when on the beach, but hey, then you got a reason to hurry out and ride all day instead :naughty:

8) Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:26 pm 
Rare Poster

yeah that should be fine although depends how often you're falling in the water... I can get cold when on my surfboard as I'm learning and fall off a lot!

[ 5 posts ]