Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Riding against the stop -"C"vs.Bow

Forum for kitesurfers
tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Riding against the stop -"C"vs.Bow

Postby tomatkins » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:16 pm

Is there any difference in the feel or the response of the kite when riding a bow kite "against the stop" (against the knot), as compared to riding a "C" kite "against the stop"?

For instance, does the power come on more quickly or with a jerkiness, as a gust hits, with a bow compared to a "C"? Is there more "self adjusting" to the gust or lull in the wind with one type of kite or the other?

Do you use the same "board control skills" and body control in order to keep the board under control and to adjust to the power surge due to the gust?

Also, related to board control, do you want to use shorter or longer fins on the same board, while making a habit of riding "against the stop" on a bow kite as opposed to a "C" kite?

My question concerns "riding against the stop" with a bow as opposed to a "C" kite, not the previously well discussed advantages of riding a bow without a stopper.

I haven't yet ridden a bow.

Fer1000er
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Takoon
Been thanked: 0

Postby Fer1000er » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:22 pm

I think you have good questions, but at the end is everything about personal preferences.

So, go and give it a try.

I use to ride on stopper ball all the time with my old c-shape kites, and now I'm very happy riding xbow with no stopper at all (specially after the mod in the briddles).

Something is for sure, your style will change riding a bow, try to not look into a bow if what you want is a c-shape feeling.

Cheers
Fernando

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Re: Riding against the stop -"C"vs.Bow

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:17 pm

tomatkins wrote:Is there any difference in the feel or the response of the kite when riding a bow kite "against the stop" (against the knot), as compared to riding a "C" kite "against the stop"?

For instance, does the power come on more quickly or with a jerkiness, as a gust hits, with a bow compared to a "C"? Is there more "self adjusting" to the gust or lull in the wind with one type of kite or the other?

Do you use the same "board control skills" and body control in order to keep the board under control and to adjust to the power surge due to the gust?

Also, related to board control, do you want to use shorter or longer fins on the same board, while making a habit of riding "against the stop" on a bow kite as opposed to a "C" kite?

My question concerns "riding against the stop" with a bow as opposed to a "C" kite, not the previously well discussed advantages of riding a bow without a stopper.

I haven't yet ridden a bow.
Try to get a ride on a Slingshot TD, that is the only bow that you can truly ride on the knot (unless you use a TD bar on another bow).
The TD bar stopper is the only one that works under load.

I have ridden it a couple of times like that, and I don't like riding the knot on C's anyway, but it felt the same as a quick c shaped kite. Board control and not being too over rigged would make it very similar to a C I think.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve McCormack

Klaus (c:E
Very Frequent Poster
Style: lousy
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Klaus (c:E » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:28 pm

Hai,

the lift coefficiant c_l increases approximately by 0.1 per ° (angle of attac of the apparent wind).
This is the same with 2 line kites or C shapes foils and bows ridden on the stopper. It´s very much the same with each of the kite designs.
For i fly some of the highest performing kites there are i may add, that it feels quite the same for intermediates and high performance kites as well (high performing kites marginally harder than intermediates, only the performance is different though).

Sea You: Klaus (c:E
Last edited by Klaus (c:E on Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JS
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Riding against the stop -"C"vs.Bow

Postby JS » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:30 pm

tomatkins wrote:Is there any difference in the feel or the response of the kite when riding a bow kite "against the stop" (against the knot), as compared to riding a "C" kite "against the stop"?
The simple answer is no.

Every inflatable kite, bow or otherwise, has its own character, but there isn't a huge difference between C's and Bows when you are riding locked or against the stop (assuming the stops are adjusted comparably).

The main difference is that a Bow can be sheeted out further if you push past the stop, or if you don't use it at all (like me). It's a bit of a predicament - whether or not to use a stopper. It has obvious advantages, but it compromises that instant depower, which provides a large margin of safety and controllability.

I know that some people don't think it's cool to be safe, but looking back on my life so far, I realize how lucky I am to still be here and not be blind or paralized, so I am looking to stack the odds in my favour in the future.

tweak
Medium Poster

Postby tweak » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:23 am

How would it be riding a Bow kite with just a long chicken loop line,
without a stopper ball.
Does the bar continually want to be ripped out of your fingers, like it would with this setup on a C kite?
Do you really need the stopper ball?

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:08 am

tweak wrote:How would it be riding a Bow kite with just a long chicken loop line,
without a stopper ball.
Does the bar continually want to be ripped out of your fingers, like it would with this setup on a C kite?
I usually ride my Sonic 11 without the stopper in place. The bar pressure is so light that I can literally hold the bar in with one finger on each hand for hours. So, no stopper is necessary on it and some other super light bar-pressure kites. The benefit is instant depower is at your fingers just by releasing the bar. Should reduce some of the risks of kiting.

Ed

tweak
Medium Poster

Postby tweak » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:15 am

ed257 wrote:
tweak wrote:How would it be riding a Bow kite with just a long chicken loop line,
without a stopper ball.
I usually ride my Sonic 11 without the stopper in place. The bar pressure is so light that I can literally hold the bar in with one finger on each hand for hours. So, no stopper is necessary on it and some other super light bar-pressure kites. The benefit is instant depower is at your fingers just by releasing the bar. Should reduce some of the risks of kiting.

Ed
That is great. I've got to get me one.
So the Sonic and the Waroo are like that, but the Xbow, turbodiseal etc couldn't really be ridden like that due to the increased bar pressure people seem to report.

smokey
Frequent Poster

Postby smokey » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:57 am

What happens when you do a couple of spins and you spin the bar back around and there's no stoper to rest on?

The power shuts right off and your dead in the water... atleast that was the case with the Xbow, SB, STD without the stoperball, from my experiences, so spinning the bar back around becomes tedious one hand over the other....

Smokey

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pierre.d » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:19 am

the spinning is a problem

the only elegant solution I found on my shockwave is to loop the kite fully depowered going downwind , the pressure is not to high and manageable.

wind was not very strong also < 25 knots

Return to “Kitesurfing”