Help! Knackered Naish valves

Forum for kitesurfers
Captain Nemo
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help! Knackered Naish valves

Postby Captain Nemo » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:10 pm

Can anyone help with this? My 8m Naish X4 has stopper balls in the valves on the two smallest struts - problem is that the last two times I've tried to pump it up, the balls aren't sealing the valves so as soon as the pump comes off, pretty much all the air is lost (the smallest two struts on the 8m are pretty tiny). I can't pinch the valves shut before taking the pump off either, 'cos the balls get in the way.

Anyone else experienced this / cured this?

Tim_
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Tim_ » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:20 pm

My little naish R3 has the same problem - although it's always done that, so I guess it's just made like that.

In your case, I guess you just have to deal with it. Can you pinch the valves before removing the pump?

http://www.watersportforums.com

Captain Nemo
Rare Poster

Postby Captain Nemo » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:55 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for that - no, I can't get the valve to close enough just by pinching it - it's driving me nuts! I did think about taking the bladder out and trying to remove the ball (might make it easier to pinch closed), but not keen on taking a knife to my kite if I can help it.....

samaha
Rare Poster

Postby samaha » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:12 pm

had the same problem on my v4's. I solved it by turning the bladder a bit, forcing the ball into place. Tended to hold most of the time for me then.

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Re: Help! Knackered Naish valves

Postby PAFF » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:23 pm

Captain Nemo wrote:Can anyone help with this? My 8m Naish X4 has stopper balls in the valves on the two smallest struts - problem is that the last two times I've tried to pump it up, the balls aren't sealing the valves so as soon as the pump comes off, pretty much all the air is lost (the smallest two struts on the 8m are pretty tiny). I can't pinch the valves shut before taking the pump off either, 'cos the balls get in the way.

Anyone else experienced this / cured this?
Is cold were you are now???

Plastik gets hard as hell then...

Else just push the ball throu.... The the ball stays indside the bladder. :wink:

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:27 pm

blow it up like normal but instead of just pulling the pump out slowly yank it out fast. It sucks the little "ball" into the hole and seals it. If not push it through from the inside to the outs ide and you have a normal no balls atatched bladder.

Captain Nemo
Rare Poster

Postby Captain Nemo » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:25 pm

cheers guys - all good advice. Hadn't thought about the cold being an issue - I'm in the UK where it ain't too sunny right now, so that may have something to do with it. Off to Venezuela next week though, so will try it with nice warm valves :D - thanks to everyone who replied.

Mikael
Frequent Poster

Postby Mikael » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:57 pm

Put really good pressure in the strut, and before removing the nozzle, turn the strut so the opening is facing down (to get gravity to help) and like it was said previously, yank the nozzle out of there as quick as you can. The quicker you yank it, the better it will work.

If that still doesn't work, then it's probably the ball that's stuck somehow or the valve that's deformed and not round anymore. If that's the case, just play with it until it's good.

Return to “Kitesurfing”