Forum for kitesurfers
randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby randykato » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:13 pm

The seals are meant to be cut. They ship from the factory with seals to fit the skinniest possible people. The directions say to trim them.

Besides, it's latex. It doesn't stay stretched... if it did the seals would be useless after a few sessions.

onthebeachallday
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby onthebeachallday » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:35 am

i'm having trouble with the OR online sales site, how much do the OR drysuits retail for?

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:09 am

Mine leaks through the cuffs on the legs and arms!!! REAL pain. I have NOT tried it out in cold water yet as I'm too scared since it leaked in warmish water.

However, my thinking is that since it was warm I didn't wear gloves or booties which I own, but would it make a large difference if I were to cover the seal with the long sleeved gloves and booties???

I'm thinking it would, and one guy here says he put a stretchy plastic cover over his leg cuffs and then his booties over it making it finally leak proof.

I like the idea of the drysuit, but hate the leaks! :evil:

j

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:38 pm

biggins wrote:Mine leaks through the cuffs on the legs and arms!!! REAL pain. I have NOT tried it out in cold water yet as I'm too scared since it leaked in warmish water.

However, my thinking is that since it was warm I didn't wear gloves or booties which I own, but would it make a large difference if I were to cover the seal with the long sleeved gloves and booties???

I'm thinking it would, and one guy here says he put a stretchy plastic cover over his leg cuffs and then his booties over it making it finally leak proof.

I like the idea of the drysuit, but hate the leaks! :evil:

j
Minor leaks are a fact of life. Anything that holds air and goes underwater has to burp the air out, and then water goes in. If not wearing booties, water gets driven up the legs too.

Expect minor wetness up to the knees when not wearing booties. Sometimes on one leg, sometimes both. Sometimes nothing. Expect minor leaks if your head goes under water around the neck. Again, air burps, water trickles in.

You will stay 95% dry. The tighter you keep the seals, the more dry you stay. I prefer less tight seals and more comfort.

It's still more comfortable than a wet suit.

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:23 pm

Yeah, unfortunately it wasn't a minor leak, my whole pant legs were filled with water to the point I had to open them and empty them out! It WAS a wetsuit. :-?

I'll try the booties and see what happens, but still feel like a wetsuit doesn't restrict movement as much, as in it's not nearly as bulky...

But it was a hell of a lot warmer to put on and take off, just have to figure out the leak thing. :-?

j

johNNy_D
Rare Poster

Postby johNNy_D » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:21 pm

@ biggins
I would think something is wrong with your seals if they leak that bad. Maybe you pulled to hard while trying to get your hands and feet through the tight seals?? and this caused them to rip where they are glued to the suit or you have some holes in the latex itself??

I find it pretty hard sometimes to ge my feet through the seals as the are pretty tight and i don't want to pull. Best is to stretch the seal with your fingers and try wriggling yourself through.

Apart from that i love my pyro as winter is coming, only thing i still need are some WARM gloves. I thought about real diving gloves but don't know how they work for kiting. Anybody tried it out??

anyhow good winds to y'all

Innis
Medium Poster

Postby Innis » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:35 pm

I found I had to lear how to use the suit to keep dry. The first time I used it I was surprised by how much water got in. Then I read the manual cover to cover. I'm now much more careful with the seals when putting the suit on, positioning and flattening the seals. I find the suit stays driest on the coldest days when I wear my high neoprene boots (i.e. over the leg seals) and hood (i.e. over the neck seal). The last time I went out like this I was totaly dry. No kidding, not a drop got in.

A guy I know puts duct tape over the leg seals to keep water out. I haven't tried this for concern over the effect over time of the adhesive on the rubber seal. Has anyone else tried this? Is there any effect on the seal?

Be sure to get all the air out especially in the legs before going out. Just immagine what would happen if you went head first into the water and the air you forgot to get out of the suit was forced into the leg area. I immagine the pressure of your harness would prevent this from happening, but I always try to get as much air out as possible just to be safe.

Fer1000er
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Takoon

Postby Fer1000er » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:22 pm

I'm using the Pyro Pro and leaks after certain period of time in the water are part of life....

I'm using this silicon neck seal between my neck and the pyro seal....work excellent...the seal perform better and lot more comfortable ( except you have a very tight seal)

http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp?c ... ue=066061

WindRyder
Medium Poster

Dry suits

Postby WindRyder » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:18 pm

I don't have a Pyro dry suit, but I do have a Kokatat dry suit. It is great, and the feet are enclosed in gortex as well. To protect the gortex, I wear booties over it. Only my hands and head are exposed to the elements. Do the Pyros have a front "relief" zipper? The Kokatat does, but being a female, it doesn't help me much, but the guys love the convenience. Someone mentioned the neck seal tightness issue: if you don't want to cut the seal, get a coffee can and spread the neck seal around that. This will help stretch it a little, without you mistakenly cutting too much. Thank god they make the necks tiny, as mine fit me perfectly. If you are interested in Kokatat, check out XLKites.com, there are a couple different types on the site. One with the gortex booties on the legs and one without.

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Re: re

Postby Galeltic » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:10 pm

Che wrote:Hi guys I tried OR Pyro and found that rubber collar was very tight. What then to do about it.
u need to read O.R small manual book with great info about how to use it , trim bit collar after u can see lines on back collar , etc :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”