St lucia north or south

Forum for kitesurfers
billb
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

St lucia north or south

Postby billb » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:05 pm

After a bit of advice on where to stay in St lucia. It seems like there are only 2 main kite spots either in the north Cas En Bas or Vieux fort in the south?

Are both spots similar in terms of wind consistency and strenght, as well as crowds. Is Cas En Bas more of a shallow flat water spot than Vieux fort?

Thanks for any help

Bill

ox
Medium Poster

Postby ox » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:18 pm

I'd go south
Everyone that I've heard of kiteboarding was on the s. side.
I've been there, but I didn't kite
Both sides are great, but i personally like the s. end better. It's a little more island life than the north with the cruise ships
either way, you can't go wrong. the island is friendly

ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: St lucia north or south

Postby ed257 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:23 pm

Bill,

I stayed at Windjammer landing on the leeward side and had to take a taxi over to Cas en Bas. It's a nice spot, not crowded. It's a semi-protected bay with flat water and some small waves - depending on tide and wind direction. I used my 11 and 14 there (185 lbs 132x40 board).

There is a kite school there (tornado kitesurfing) and there are several horseback riding schools in the area. One horse walked through my lines when I was setting up.

I did not go to the south (vieux fort), so I can't speak to that.

Have fun.

Ed

billb wrote:After a bit of advice on where to stay in St lucia. It seems like there are only 2 main kite spots either in the north Cas En Bas or Vieux fort in the south?

Are both spots similar in terms of wind consistency and strenght, as well as crowds. Is Cas En Bas more of a shallow flat water spot than Vieux fort?

Thanks for any help

Bill

The B
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby The B » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:16 pm

Just got back from a vacation in St Lucia. I stayed at the Coco Palm in Rodney Bay and wouldnt have changed a thing about my trip. Rodney Bay is a happening touristy spot with lots of restaurants and bars to choose from. Cas en Bas is a 20 minute ride down a dirt road. Its a great spot, the safest I've been too, and never gets very crowded. Due to the outer reef, the water is super smooth, even when the wind kicks up to 20 knots. There is also a small reef in the middle that spawns little ramps that are fun to play around with. Only drawback to Cas en Bas is the size of the beach. Its pretty small, but its almost a non-issue. I never rode at Vieux Fort, but I did stop by on my way to the airport. Much more chop and the wind seemed a bit stonger. Either way you're going to have killer sessions. I think the north is more non-kiter friendly, so thats something to consider if you're traveling with a non-kiting companion.
PM Island Avatar or Manxman. They're both natives and super friendly. They'll give you some of the best unbiased advice that you can find.

Rossall
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool and Como.
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Waddell
Tarifa
Gear: Follow the Rabbits
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby Rossall » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:43 pm

Vieux fort in the south without a doubt.

http://www.tornado-surf.com/

http://www.slucia.com/

http://www.slucia.com/windsurf/

stay at Juiettes Lodge over the road from the airport and eat at the Reef cafe next to the Mistral center.

Return to “Kitesurfing”