Forum for kitesurfers
fskite
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ride like man

Postby fskite » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:17 am

"backside riding is very fowl please do not ride this style. Face your wave like a man instead of sticking your ass out and waiting for a pounding - ride like a man"

discuss

think it must have been felix pivec taking a dig at martin vari but not sure

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:15 am

What´s the point? Backside is one natural way to ride in surfing. It depends on your stance and the way the wave breaks.

You can see Robby Naish riding backside in Hookipa although he could ride it frontside as he is used to do that from windsurfing. But I guess that goofy is his natural stance so he rides it backside as in kitesurfing you have the freedom to do that.

fskite
Medium Poster

Postby fskite » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:42 am

coming from windsurfing - you should be used to riding either stance - honestly still getting used to waveriding with a kite so I dont think I have a preference. Certainly snowboarding I love big toeside carves on a twisty slope so much I pretty quickly started switching stance just so I could carve toeside round the bend - dont see why Kiteing should be different - or surfing for that matter. Surely everyone agrees that frontside is the most stylish and must rewarding.

Trant
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Trant » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:45 am

How are you supposed to wave at your girlfriend on the beach if you're facing the wrong way?

(" Hey honey, look at me! I'm on a wave!" :bye: )

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:02 pm

What you mean like this Trant ?

Trant
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Trant » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:09 pm

:D Gold! :D

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:13 pm

Or this ....

So I guess this means that there are alot of butch photographers taking pictures of mens bottoms....

How British ! :thumb: :girl: :wink:

kiteboarder1020
Medium Poster

Postby kiteboarder1020 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:21 pm

masterbaiter
Rare Poster

fair comment

Postby masterbaiter » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:33 pm

Backhand in kiteboarding its a weakness
Plain and simple ,surfing is a different sport
Do you see the worlds best freestylers like Aron Hadlow and Ruben
pass by on one tack and forget about the other ,because they are not strong enough to learn the trick on both tacks,I seen them in action and they have a bag a tricks on both tacks ,RESPECT,
What happened to the wave guys
Dont give me the shit about surfing,,,,no bars and your board is longer than 5 ''10 then your getting close to surfing,
Fair comment on the film clip

rdshawaii
Rare Poster

Postby rdshawaii » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:13 am

Im gonna have to agree with the bater on this one, but not completely...backside is ok IF it looks like pro surfing. However I haven't seen it yet. Not to take anything away from anyone, Martin, Wilson, Tobias etc..they're ripping for kitesurfing and are for sure pushing the sport forward, but if you watch any of them (including in Spare Change) if take away thier kite and its "ripping amateur" level at best, if you compair it to surfing.

If your in this sport to have fun, do as you please, whatever feels right. You have nothing to prove to anyone, but yourself. HOWEVER, if your career is kitesurfing and you consider yourself a pro, you HAVE to be able to do everything. You cant bash one thing if you only do the other, personally I'm goofy foot, but I ride frontside either tack... I can ride backside easily, but I agree that this sport is not surfing (at the moment) you have footstraps and bar to help. But as a pro you should be able to show video of yourself to one of the harshest critics out there (surfers) and they need to be saying to themselfs "What the f***, that was crazy".

If your a surfer you'll know what I mean, if you dont really know the surfing culture you might not agree with this, but whatever.

If you can find me a pic of a kitesurfer that looks like this, i'd like to see it
Attachments
007629_vP.jpg
007629_vP.jpg (11.98 KiB) Viewed 3599 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”