best kite school

Forum for kitesurfers
xentrik1
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

best kite school

Postby xentrik1 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:33 pm

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I wasn't sure which one it would belong in.

My wife and I are trying to plan a 9-11 day trip to somewhere and while there I would like to take some kiteboarding lessons. I live in florida so there are a lot of kite boarders and training options. Would it be better for me to learn around here then just go kiting as we travel, or are the schools outside the country better? I was originally learning towards the cancun area of Mexico, but after reading some posts here it seems that late May is not the time to go there, plus the only place that gives lessons there that I could find, Ikarus, is not answering emails. So now I am considering the dominican, which seems to be too crowded from reports I've read, a small caribbean island, or costa rica. There catch is my wife is going to want to stay in a very nice hotel preferably an all-inclusive Any information or suggestions would be more than welcome.

icemonkey
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Cozumel

Postby icemonkey » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:57 pm

Check out Cozumelkiteboarding.com . Adrian is incredible, they use boat support for instruction, and there are a number of great all inclusive resorts on the island. Also, there are many other activities for non kiters available and some of the most beautiful water I have ever seen.

Keith

greymage
Medium Poster

Postby greymage » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:01 pm

I had a great time learning at the Vela in Aruba last year:

http://www.velawindsurf.com/aruba/kitesurfing.html

My instructors, Mike and Mo, were really great, not just knowledgeable but fun and enthusiastic. The only downside was bows hadn't come out yet :(. But this year they're using all bows :).

There is a nice Marriot right by the Vela, but I stayed at the Boardwalk across the street. You get basically a condo for less than a room at the Marriot - it was really nice, much nicer and bigger than the first apartment I had when I got out of college, actually.

greymage
Medium Poster

Postby greymage » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:09 pm

Picture from Aruba:

vietkiter
Very Frequent Poster

Re: best kite school

Postby vietkiter » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:29 pm

xentrik1 wrote:My wife and I are trying to plan a 9-11 day trip to somewhere and while there I would like to take some kiteboarding lessons.
My advice to you is to get local lessons first...
a) wind is a fickle thing... there's no guarantee you have any when you are at some exotic local... FL is a pretty good spot for the initial land lessons... FL beaches are good and wide... get a trainer kite and get a feel of it...
b) you can always take "more advanced lessons" on a trip, an you will get more out of the nice water...
c) whereever you go, make sure there's a nice shallow bay as you will be doing a lot of walking and relaunching of the kite...
d) in general, I would not mix a regular vacation with kite lessons... you are better off taking a kite specific vacation... e.g. like what kitewise or Real runs...

In any case, get your kiting feet wet soon... don't wait for such a big complicated production... you can handle maybe 4 hrs the first day anyway before kite fatigue sets in... waiting for the perfect condition and perfect day is the biggest mistake... take the plunge... get an initial lesson and get addicted... then enjoy your exotic vacation...

Don't forget to trick the wife into learning how to launch and catch the kite... that's the secret to the kiting fast track...

xentrik1
Rare Poster

Postby xentrik1 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:30 pm

thanks guys for the info and great pics. My concern about cozumel is that I hear the winds die down in May, but I wrote them for more information. Aruba looks really nice but I was having trouble fionding kite info on that site. It looked like all windsurfing stuff. I'll write them for more info too.
Don't forget to trick the wife into learning how to launch and catch the kite... that's the secret to the kiting fast track...
Thats hilarious. Ya I was thinking I should get the basic stuff done here, but I was kinda hoping the wife would take lessons too. I taught her to snowboard and she's already outdoing me on that. I think the only way I can get her to try it is if we are in a spot where there might be not to much else to do. Like at home she'd work too much to take lessons I think. I also think with so many days we would have some recoup days and/or some no wind days and still get some decent lessons in. Let me know if I'm wrong about that.

vietkiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vietkiter » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:01 pm

xentrik1 wrote:Aruba looks really nice but I was having trouble fionding kite info on that site.
A lot of time, newbies spend a lot of time looking for great spots and very little time researching the instructor... having a nice patient instructor will reduce your lesson stress as you will screw up many times... a local instructor is more likely to cancel a lesson and have you come back a better day... a "vacation" instructor will try to complete the lesson regardless how shitty the condition is... you have a great one in Andy Hurdman in Florida... check out his vids on bestkiteboarding video section... Best can help you contact him... or ask a knowledgeable friend...
Thats hilarious. Ya I was thinking I should get the basic stuff done here, but I was kinda hoping the wife would take lessons too. I taught her to snowboard and she's already outdoing me on that. I think the only way I can get her to try it is if we are in a spot where there might be not to much else to do. Like at home she'd work too much to take lessons I think. I also think with so many days we would have some recoup days and/or some no wind days and still get some decent lessons in. Let me know if I'm wrong about that.[/quote]

If she likes snowboarding... convince her to take a trainer kite lesson... and show her some snowkiting videos... two newbies learning together will progress much faster... as you will need someone to assist with downed kite... also much safer...

Even if she is not interested... have her come with you during your first lesson... she may like it afterall...

xentrik1
Rare Poster

Postby xentrik1 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:04 pm

does andy work for Best or is he just an independent instructor. we dont have gear yet

vietkiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vietkiter » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:13 pm

xentrik1 wrote:does andy work for Best or is he just an independent instructor. we dont have gear yet
He's a pro rider for Best... but he's a very patient instructor... the latter is more important... instructors will provide all the necessary gears...

I forgot to mention... he's south florida area... so if you are other parts of FL... check with the local riders... as always look for specific names not names of shops... the good thing is if you are local, you can get a short lesson to see if you are comfortable with the instructor... if not... find someone else... also check several sources for rates... and look for package deals... ask about wind and cancellation policies... you can save money and time by getting comfortable with a trainer and get lessons on "real" kites...

xentrik1
Rare Poster

Postby xentrik1 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:19 pm

okay. I'll see if I can find out more about andy, because I am in south FL. I was also thinking about going to the keys to seven or the kitehouse which I've heard good things about. Thanks for all the info.

Return to “Kitesurfing”