Ozone style 5th line - simplified

Forum for kitesurfers
kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitezilla » Sat May 27, 2006 3:16 pm

Gianvi,

I went to their site and noted that they claim that one can use this axis swivel system for a front line reride safety system. I can understand how this system can work for a 5th line safety, since on a 5th line there are no balls or knots, and therefore the 5th line can slide through the hole in the bar and then the hole in the axis swivel, allowing the bar to travel a the needed distance up along the 5th line. I don't understand how a front line can slide throught the 2 holes since the front line safety will have a knot holding a ball on the line which will be normally resting against a ring at the top of the power line adjuster, about one meter away from the bar. It would seem that this knot retaining the ball would not pass through the holes when the bar is released in order to activate the front line safety. On a 20M kite, for instance, the bar must be able to slide up the front line about 5 meters, not just one meter. Is the hole large enough for the knot to pass?

Also, with this system, it does not appear that the 5th line can be released in the case of a kite flipping over backwards and wrapping the 5th line around it.

The Slingshot 5th line system solves all these problems along with the "on the fly" 5th line adjustment option, by placing the adjustment and "quick release" cleat above the swivel which connects to the chicken loop.

gianvi
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby gianvi » Sat May 27, 2006 4:03 pm

Hi Kitezilla
Yes can work both front or 5th line.
See attached pic.
The hole inside the front part of the twister is larg enought for no problem sliding.
The Slingshot 5th line system solves all these problems along with the "on the fly" 5th line adjustment option, by placing the adjustment and "quick release" cleat above the swivel which connects to the chicken loop.
We have this type of release system from a 1 year now.
last year we don't use 5th line as primary safety as standrd, but as a big help in water relaunch & as second safety system.
The first thing we tought was how was possible to release the 5th line and we solved as on the attached pics.
These year we have 5th line as primary safety, with or without safety release. We deliver the kites with the ring, 'cause in our experience on kite flying, our kites never folded up around 5th line, also in gust.

You want a system thet release the 5th line? Yes possible, just remove the Steel Ring and connect your HP Shackle directly on the rope loop. If you need to release the 5th line, just open the shackle and immediately connect it to C-Loop, relaunch the kite and return immediately at the beach.
As you can see, we have tought at the maximum to make the customer, in a super easy way, choose what is the best for him.

More, for experienced riders that want the 5th line as safety but, to doing HP they have to connect themselves to C-Loop or depower rope, we have also the possibility to have suicide leash+5th line connection, just adding ... i don't tell you :) :)

Main focus on our system, that seems that a lot of others don't take care of your life (or of your kite), is that we are everytime connected at the SAFETY (5th or Front) without any problem of leash wrapping.
Others system, that connect leash after the rotation point (not like our that connect leash before the rotation point), have yes a safety but with a lot of problem of leash wrapping everytime, after a spin, you turn the bar in the reverse; to solve it, you have or to connect to C-loop directly or to the depower rope, but in these way you are not even more connected to a safety.
Attachments
IMG_0240 (800 x 600).jpg
Release handle ready to be connected with velcro at the trim strap back part
IMG_0240 (800 x 600).jpg (44.08 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
IMG_0236 (800 x 600).jpg
Release handle with 5th line connected
IMG_0236 (800 x 600).jpg (15.81 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
IMG_0234 (800 x 600).jpg
release handle before 5th line connection
IMG_0234 (800 x 600).jpg (18.54 KiB) Viewed 1360 times

gianvi
Rare Poster

Postby gianvi » Sat May 27, 2006 4:48 pm

here the others pics about safety
Attachments
safety connection 02.jpg
special connection as stopper knot
safety connection 02.jpg (32.17 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
safety system on front line.gif
Safety system - How it work on Front Line
safety system on front line.gif (33.25 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
DSCF0056 (640 x 480).jpg
Here you can see how large is th ehole for safety sliding
DSCF0056 (640 x 480).jpg (53.88 KiB) Viewed 1351 times

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Sat May 27, 2006 9:54 pm

Gianvi,

Thank you for the quick reply to my questions, and for the pictures.

It looks like the only way to make the 5th line adjustable "on the fly" would be to put a sheet cleat on the spinner in front of the hole. Have you considered this? I think Slingshot tried to do something like your axis swivel, but had problems with sand getting inside, and gave up on the idea.

Your axis swivel looks like a nicely designed piece of technology.

gianvi
Rare Poster

Postby gianvi » Sun May 28, 2006 6:23 am

If i can i reply soon, but sometimes i can't ..... :D

Our Twister has No Sand problem.
To solve it we had two washers in a special teflon that is self-lubricating; if you see a ton on sand on it, just put into the water and it will clean by itself.

Yes, we think about the cleat and some proto is done but a question : do you think is necessary the cleat? If you have a kite that respond very well at the trim strap input, I saw that 5th line regulation is necessary only at 15%. More, when you pull the trim strap, 5th line go slack, and to put tension you have to pull it of 20 cm. and more.
These 20 cm. you will have, after cleating, before the bar and can be something more that can make problems (wrapping, tangling, etc).

At firsts use of 5th line with the twister (3 year ago) i develop also these system and now another company is using it, but without real safety ...
I will post picture later, adapted on new Twister.

Kitezilla, where are you from?

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Sun May 28, 2006 1:49 pm

Gianvani,

You pointed out a common problem, and a potentially dangerous tangling problem, with the extra line on an adjustable and sheetable 5th line system, when you said "These 20 cm. you will have, after cleating, before the bar and can be something more that can make problems (wrapping, tangling, etc). "

Here is a picture of the way I have dealt with the extra line on my present dynamic 5th line set up (primative but functional, and easily adjusted "on the fly"):

To answer your question...I spend my time divided between the Columbia River Gorge and the south coast of the state of Texas in the USA.
Attachments
5th line storage.JPG
5th line storage.JPG (122.81 KiB) Viewed 1281 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”