forum for kitesurfers

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Boat kiting tips.

Postby tautologies » Fri May 19, 2006 7:20 am

Aloha

Does anyone here have any experience with boat kiting? A friend of mine has this 18 feet catamaran, super fast boat, and we were thinking that we could attach a kite and go pretty good on it. It is still on the drawingboard so any hints thoughts or tips would be very much appreciated.

I have checked out Don Montague's website (kiteboat.com) but there really wasn't that much there...

Best regards
Alex

wakeboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby wakeboy » Fri May 19, 2006 9:04 am

peterlynn knows a lot contact them!

http://www.peterlynnkites.co.nz then click on the little cat(boat)

jamescarlyle
Rare Poster

Postby jamescarlyle » Fri May 19, 2006 10:22 am

Hi

I have been planning a design for working with a kite and 20' catamaran for the last year but do not live near the coast and can't store a rig-less catamaran anywhere.

I'd be interested in collaborating if you have the boat! I live in London, UK, so Hawaii is a bit of a stretch :) Anyway get in touch at takepart@gmail.com if you want to. Do you have a workshop?

James

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri May 19, 2006 11:26 am

Thanks for the info. I'll email PL.
Well, we're thinking of doing this by just starting to attach stuff to the boat (I don;t know the right terms). We don't have a proper place to work, but I guess we could do it out of my friends yacht club...which I am not frequenting that often. :-)
..and really England is only a stop away :-) The airfare is cheap now. :-)
I'll send you an email.

Alex

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Boat kiting tips.

Postby RickI » Fri May 19, 2006 11:35 am

tautologies wrote:Aloha

Does anyone here have any experience with boat kiting? A friend of mine has this 18 feet catamaran, super fast boat, and we were thinking that we could attach a kite and go pretty good on it. It is still on the drawingboard so any hints thoughts or tips would be very much appreciated.

I have checked out Don Montague's website (kiteboat.com) but there really wasn't that much there...

Best regards
Alex
Hello Alex,

Some guys just sit on the canvas forward of the mast with or without a harness and do it that way. Of course the few times I have seen this the wind has been a bit light. In more powered conditions and with a smaller kite, it may take some experimentation. Although I suspect a number of folks on here must have been out in stronger stuff with a kite.

The guys coasting along unhooked in Islamorada some years ago. The cat did a triple backroll coming off the slider!? Actually, I am trying to remember if it could even get over it.

A bunch of Jon Modica's do some moves off the kicker as the kitecat slides along in the background.

Photos from:
http://kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2301637

Good luck!
Last edited by RickI on Fri May 19, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri May 19, 2006 12:20 pm

Hey Rick,

Thanks for that. Some really great shots, I think that just attaching the kite in the front would be the first option.

After some friends of mine were out with Don Montague (him actually stuck to the boat when it was upside down) and they after the boat turned upside down and they were stranded at Jump City in Kailua Bay at dusk / night (maybe a mile) from shore. They were finally towed in by a fellow kiter that were wondering why they didn't come in....

I have decided on some requirements.

A. Must be able to release kite.
B. Kite must have safety
C. must be able to auto release kite if we should fall out.
D. I am sure as hell going to wear my friggin' impact vest.
E. I will not do this in the dusk.
etc.

The guy who owns the boat's girlfriend broke her back while riding the boat..they hit a pole at high speed. The boat is fast, but the tip digs in when the speed increases over a certain speed. By attaching the kite in the front we can keep it from doing that...but I am guessing we'll meet some other obstacles before that happens. We'll take it step by step :-)

Alex

KittJ
Medium Poster

Postby KittJ » Fri May 19, 2006 4:45 pm

tautologies wrote:The guy who owns the boat's girlfriend broke her back while riding the boat..they hit a pole at high speed. The boat is fast, but the tip digs in when the speed increases over a certain speed. By attaching the kite in the front we can keep it from doing that...Alex
Thanks for posting this ... I was blithely thinking I would try sitting in the front of a dinghy, and then a small (9') sail boat with a 4.0 M LEI before attaching the chicken loop to the forward anchor cleat of a 22' Boston Whaler and seeing what would happen .... worst case (in my mind) was that I would get some body dragging time. Now I am thinking of getting that little 2.5 M LEI from the quickly vanishing WingWind and starting even smaller. ( I do not plan to try anything though until the water gets a lot warmer in New England.) Please update this with your results as you progress. KittJ

soup
Rare Poster

Postby soup » Sun May 21, 2006 3:25 pm

have been cat kiting for a few years if you tie it just to the front it will not track right .

tie a heavey rope from the front to the back down the middle . about 1.5 to 2 feet from the front put two knots about 1inc apart . we used a shackel to atach to the chiken loop. the rope should be about 6-8 inc off of the tramp so you can sit under it and fly the kite, the best is a pully bar for more kite speed in low wind .

i have used a 9m, 12m, 16m and a 20m kite.
we took it to the kite rodeo in 04 but no wind.

its fun but its alot more fun on a board . just sold the cat to get a new kite board.

see ya on the water

KiteGlider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteGlider » Sun May 21, 2006 11:51 pm

been interested in buying one of these bolt on hydrofoil kits for a while, for a kite powered small Hobie cat. (14 ft ?)

http://www.wingo.com/dakh/beachcats.html

Any1 seen a Travel channel special about a French coastal town where the wind is so steady and constant that the locals have a name for an insanity caused by the never ending winds?

anyway, there's a short clip of a kite powered hydrofoil cat in that special, but they didn't offer any info about it. Well it looked totally awesome!

Return to “Kitesurfing”