All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: BOWS AND UNHOOKED LAUNCHING.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I was wondering if anyone has set up a stopper ball on the INSIDE of the bar to set the depower for unhooked launching???? Seems like that would be the answer for safer launches especially when kiting alone. Hate to see people getting hurt when it's so easily avoided.

j

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:00 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

In my opinion.....

I think the launching unhooked thing doesn't pertain to bows due to the depowerability

sure, i understand that a huge gust could hit but when you are launching you are (or at least I think you should be) more aware of the wind

i just recently witnessed a "unhooked rider trying to hold on to a bow kite experience" this last weekend and the flyer held on to the bar, bow took off and ripped the bar out of his hands. I think a bit of "education" is needed to get users to grab the chicken loop with one hand and drop the bar with the other. Part of his problem was also that his leash was tangled on the mess due to being on the front line as his safety...but that is other topic.

my personal mentality (maybe I'm mental) with bows

1. no stoppers of anykind of the CL line
2. launch hooked in
3. clip the saftey to the CL line above the chicken loop above the QR
4. keep it low and over the water
5. 12o'clock is for jumping

as stated firstly......IN MY OPINION

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:14 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I have to agree with the center line safety...not my favorite either.

However, you run the risk of an invert if you completely let go of the bar and use no stopper I think.

I've some bad hooked in lauches and just think you don't always have time to get out if something goes wrong...the let go of the bar idea was great until invertions came along. :-?

j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:27 pm 
Frequent Poster

I would never launch my kite(OR One) without being hooked in.I make shure the stopper is able to release,if needed I pull the trim to depower.
The biggest factor of course is the wind conditions.Launching without being in the loop is launching without control,IMO.I have had my kites launch dead down wind after pulling the rear line,depower upon launch and the kite rises with little pull.I know shit can and does happen but this is a great feature of the Bow's depower ability.

Dave

[ 4 posts ]