All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:41 pm 
Frequent Poster

Quote:
The times I have seen it or heard about it the violence in those seconds can be overwhelming.

Hi Rick,

I couldn't agree more!
I by no means have weak stomach however when I watched wide eyed at what appeared to be my fiends grand exit by pumpling himself into a wall on a launch gone bad last Nov which broke his femur I came very close to tossing my cookies.

warm regards from a very windy Seattle
John Penxa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I rigged wrong about 2 years ago. It was a light wind day. I had my Rhino 14 II ready to launch. I was in the water and had someone holding my kite for launch. I noticed the lines where wrong as I pulled the bar back. I yelled to the guy holding my kite to "put it back down". He tought I yelled, "OK" and did not wait for a thumbs up. He let the kite go. It pulled me up and out of the water and back into the water. The kite slamed down on a pile of rocks and busted. I quickly unhooked. I could not believe the power that was created. I always at least double check my lines. I was glad it hit the rocks and busted. The next loop would have had me on the beach or rocks. This spilled a lot of luck out of my luck bucket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:47 pm 
Medium Poster

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!I Had a friend of mine switch kites with me only to my luck I survived unhurt over some sand dunes etc.I ASSUMED he rigged his Kite properly as he was experienced.WELL guess what lines reversed and went for wild uncontrolled ride.Never assume someone rigged gear proper.Triple check lines.Bottom line is check and recheck because it's uncontrollable and you will go in unimaginable directions real quick.T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:15 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Great and timely topic Rick!
Unbelievable that "the idiot" tried to ruin this thread too.

Kook proof and colour coded should be industry standard now, I think it nearly is.
Rigging methods aside (upwind/downwind/sidewind,front lines first/rears first, etc), it is kook proof and color coded that saves lives and prevents injuries, and we need uniformity NOW!

All kites should be rigged the same way too, like knots on the fronts and loops on the rears, red for left, some other color for right.

There is still too much variation from brand to brand, no need to mention any names from me. Black bars or bars without a clearly different coloured end are just wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe us users could form a "standards specification list" and send it to all manufacturers and ask for their compliance?

I too have my own story, got to the beach after work one afternoon, as usual lots of people ask me questions and want advice whiel I am trying to rig and get out for an after work de stress session. I put a rear to a front on one side without noticing.
Launcher just chucked it in the air as I was saying noooo, and I went for a drag towards rock groin which I jumped at the last second, I was lucky.

Ever since I will only use kook proofed kites. If I launch someone I will not let go until I have see the lines are connected, because I did that once too, and the flyer (no kook proofed lines) was lucky that time as well.

When someone asks me for a launch I say to them every time, that I will not let go until I can clearly see the lines are connected right, AND they give me a clear signal to let go as well.

And I always launch towards the water here, and always tell people to "Keep it low and go"!!!

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve McCormack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:24 am 
Frequent Poster

It happend to me in 2002 with a rhino1. Those had a bar that you actually had to hook out before you could release! The kite went up then did half a downloop and went straight trough the powerzone after it it made some weird moves that i can not recall because i was to busy trying to get the hell out of the situation, after a few secs the kite crashed. The force was to big for me to be able to hook out! There is really nothing you can do to control de kite in this setup.

We were kiting in strong side-offshore winds at a lake with shallow water for about 1000m. This was my big luck! I was dragged into the water where the kite crashed. The force is explosive and since you cannot control it, i rember clearly it was very frightning. I was tossed around like a toy for just a few seconds and you will be dragged a considerable distance. I got out with only a few cuts in my knees/hands and wetsuit. I had pain in my neck for about 3 days probably from the impact on the sand, I could only imagine what would have happened in on-shore winds.

A kite nowadays with no cook proof connectors is just lame. I never setted up my lines wrong since that day but I learned it the hard way and any way to prevent this from happening should be worth the couple of dollars/euros.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:31 am 
Frequent Poster

PS as almost all of you know but i still want to state: this is not an advice to kite in offshore winds as this can be very dangerous!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:35 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I launched my switchblade with the bar line that runs through the pulley twisted. I did 3 loops down the beach before I ejected. The situation was made worse by the fact that the front lines had stretched about 3 to 4 inches longer than the back ones rendering the so called 100% depower less than that. I now check my line lengths every 2 or 3 sessions and you should check them more regularly when they are new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:06 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Rick I,

Hi! I hope you are great! Well this happened to me once!!!! Believe me when I tell you it won´t ever happen to me ever again!

Heres what happened:

It was almost 3 years ago, I had been kitting for almost 6 months. I had just purchased 2 new North Vegas.

We got to LA VENTANA, Baja and everyone of my buddies rushed to the water I opened my equipment for the first time!!!! I opened my kite, inflated it and walked down my lines!

I figured on my own how to attach the fiftht element and the I got really really angre because those dumb designers @ north had put those damn KOOK PROOF connectors the wrong way!

So I switched them from front to back and started looking for someone to launch me!!!
Eventually a windsurfer came and told me he knew how to launch, even so I reminded him NOT to let go of the kite unless I gave him a big thumbs up!!! He told "OK, don´t worry about it"

So I was walking around to find the right launch angle when I raised my hand to signal this guy to walk towards me ( I don´t recall why he had to walk towards me but he had to) As soon as I raised my hand he let go fo the kite!!!! MOTHER F**KER!!!!!!! My kite was in the middle of the power zone, got a lot of power and started to turn towards the right!!! ( If you know La Ventana you know the right side is where the buildings and palm trees are) I pulled my bar to the left to counteract and the kite dived into the right with more force, so I turned my bar more to the left and the kite was going to the right with a lot more force. ALL OF THIS IN A MATTER OF JUST A SECOND. Thank you Andres Santacruz for getting into my head that the number one thing to do ALWAYS is pull the safety!

As soon as I felt the pull from the kite I released my safety and the kite just flew a couple of inches over this fence into a soft green garden inside kurt´n´marina!!!!!

Later that day while checking my lines I realized I was the dumb mother nice person who switched the kook proof connectors!!!! ( This was error number 1)

(Error number 2) Was setting up my equipment by myself while still a beginner

(Error number 3) Was letting a guy who knew nothing about kitesurfing launch me!!!!!!

Hope it helps.

Paco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:13 am 
Frequent Poster

Alpower can you elaborate on the twisted line through the pully. I don't want to make the same mistake on my contra. Also does anyone have a good way of measuring their lines, or is a super long measuring tape the only way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:36 am 
Frequent Poster

Man, what a coincidence that you posted this topic at this time. I did it yesterday and I guess I'm proof positive that it can happen to anybody since I've been kiteboarding since 2003. I was really lucky as my launcher, Dave Hall (Eddy's dad) spotted the rigging mistake before he launched me. Thanks Dave, you saved me a really bad trip over stones, cactus, rattlesnakes, tarantulas and other bad things!

The really strange thing is I've rigged hundreds of times, always use the same system (front lines under the kite, steering/back lines outside the kite) and NEVER have connected backs to fronts and vice versa before. BUT, it was a really sketchy, light wind day, and I was in a hurry to get out before it quit so I didn't bother to check my rigging as I usually do. Wont ever make that mistake again. My kite (a 2003 moodel) does not have kook proof connectors - all the more reason to do a second pre-flight check.

If I could offer one piece of advice - double check your attachments before you walk back to pick up your bar.

[ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next