All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:55 am 
Rare Poster

…wind was blowing about 22-26 knts…wiped with my Torch and in trying to relaunch with 5th line when the bungee section somehow got twisted round my legs and groin area. Without risking being neutered I just held the 5th line in place and drifted back to shore. When I could stand I untangled the lines in continued pulling in the kite along the 5th. I then decided to lay out the lines again but in my haste I crossed the lines on the left side…but front still went to front and back to back. I self-launched and immediately noticed the crossed lines. Now I have kited like this 2-3 times before when my X2’s (14 and 18) crashed and the kite turned inside out…but in those cases the lines on both sides were crossed.

Anyway, as soon as the kite went up it started to sort of jump in the zenith…I immediately tried to unhook but at that moment I shot into the air….as I was shooting up I tried to pull/push the QR but it did not want to release. By this time my vertical flying turned horizontal and I saw these two heaps - what seemed to be rocks at the time from my aerial perspective. At this time I was about 5 meters high (according to my buddies) and I was scoping out the potential spot past the “rocksâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:34 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Excellent stories guys, folks can learn a lot from your experiences. Particularly the need to use care during every setup.

ANYTHING that makes your lines uneven past a point can be very bad. Just as Brody pointed out. Let's try to count the ways ...

- rigging lines crossed (front to back, vis versa).
- launching with a line tangle (easy to do, if you aren't careful)
- launching with a catch on a stick, piece of seaweed, trash that changes line length
- launching with line loops formed during line strumming in strong winds that snag and send your launch to smack-in land
- launching with your bar upside down
- catching a tree limb, etc. after launch that changes the length of some of the lines
- line catching in a pulley due to wear, sand, etc.., old or damaged line might do this as well.
- catching your kite leash line on the far side of the bar, particularly with wrist kite leash cuffs (a personal favorite), causing "the corkscrew of death!"
- and a new one with some flat kites, wrapping of bridle lines around wing tips during launching

There must be more sad to say. Each one of these has happened with varying degrees of problems and injury.

That's a good idea Steve and yours as well Dwight. Maybe we should work to give the industry some directed input. We'll experience the positives and negatives regardless. Perhaps we should take a more active hand trying to direct how things work out?

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by RickI on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:30 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Broken left arm, 3rd degree separation right shoulder. Helmet damaged bark on the tree I hit upside down and backwards, 7 fet in the air. 6 years experience. Checked lines. Line checking is not reliable. Line check and kook proof is much more reliable. Engineer out risk, don't count on being able to do things reliably and consistently. We are humans after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:31 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

G'day Rick

There are no doubt a mutitude of reasons or excuses that could be found to justify the non uniformity of basic rigging and safety releases, but none of them are worth a human life or even an injury.

The easiest way to compile a list of "MUST HAVES" would be online, there are hundreds of thousands of hours of users experiences on tap via this single forum.

Rigging methods aside (because these are taught and learned on beaches), it is color coded kook proof connectors and uniformity across all kites that is the number 1 priority.

Second on the list is safety releases, there is a different type on virtually every kite, some you push away, some you pull, and remarkably some that actually don't work STILL in 2006!!!

Wrist cuffs should be deleted! They are Ok for school use maybe but there are better ways for instructors working in populated areas (with access to good shops and accessories) to rig a working safety on a school kite.

Schools and instructors should only teach on kites rigged the same as what a customer will buy. Students should walk away from a school completely confident on how safety releases work and how to rig any kite - BECAUSE THEY ALL SHOULD BE THE SAME!

KEEP IT LOW AND GO - should be printed on all kites, right beside where the lines are connected, in BIG print, and in all kite instruction manuals in several places throughout the manual, in BIG print.

Dicking around on beahces/land with any large kitesurfing kite must be actively discouraged everywhere. This includes beach jumping, jumping by show off types close to shore (no jumping closer than 3 line lengths).

I'm sure others can add to this list, go for it.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve McCormack

RickI wrote:
(snip)
That's a good idea Steve and yours as well Dwight. Maybe we should work to give the industry some directed input. We'll experience the positives and negatives regardless. Perhaps we should take a more active hand trying to direct how things work out?

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:49 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

RickI wrote:

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

it appears the 'industry' doesn't have the kahunas to get togethor so I agree, it is going to have to be the consumers that band togethor and say enough

maybe the shop owners? maybe both? what about IKO?

here is the standard for kite line colors, etc., if you don't we will fart in your general direction and say nasty things about you

some are doing it, some are not, different years have different colors, etc.

secretly i believe the manufacturers will thank us!

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:16 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I guess its just the nature of our competitive consumer driven business world David?
They will not talk about uniformity, they are too focused on innovation and having a unique competitive advantage.

We users need to inform them that we will not tolerate any more practices that jeopardise lives, they need to be told this is the standard, by the users.
They are not the users, we are, we know what works.
They have been involved in the evolution, for which we are all grateful for sure, but now it is time for the consumer to speak, and them to act.

If this does not happen this sport is doomed!

We need co-operation at all levels in the industry/sport, for the sake of the future sustainability of all apsects of the industry/sport, and we need it now!

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve McCormack
[quote="purdyd]
it appears the 'industry' doesn't have the kahunas to get togethor so I agree, it is going to have to be the consumers that band togethor and say enough

maybe the shop owners? maybe both? what about IKO?

here is the standard for kite line colors, etc., if you don't we will fart in your general direction and say nasty things about you

some are doing it, some are not, different years have different colors, etc.

secretly i believe the manufacturers will thank us!

David[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:55 am 
Very Frequent Poster

My method has not failed yet in 8 years of kiting.
Do not disconnect your lines from your kite or bar.
Nico

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:10 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Nico wrote:
Nico

I am assuming that you check the connectors regularly then? If not you'd be proned to wear on the lines that finally will break. If you do attach your lines, you would see that. I'm not saying its wrong, but there are considerations to take :-)

alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:17 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I have luckily always found my errors in preflight checks.

However I have seen a guy being dragged down the beach in an incredible tempo, his kite finally hit a tree maybe 300 yeards down wind...after the kite had been powerlooping 5 or 6 times.

I must have seen at least 30 kites in trees due to errors in rigging, and there is a new error that many are not aware of. On the new bars with pulleys, people might be rigging their kites perfectly but when they ask for assisted launch they have the pulley around the actual bar, something that leads to powerloops. A couple of weeks ago a guy barely escaped some big wooden poles at the beach. Yet another is tangling the bridal system around the wing tips. With all the bridals it is harder to see if the kite looks perfectly fine, especially the kites that have thin lines on their bridal systems.

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:29 pm 
Frequent Poster

tautologies wrote:
Nico wrote:
Nico

I am assuming that you check the connectors regularly then? If not you'd be proned to wear on the lines that finally will break. If you do attach your lines, you would see that. I'm not saying its wrong, but there are considerations to take :-)

alex

I also think leaving bar/lines connected is the way to go.
The lines still have to be unwrapped off the bar,
That is when I do the line/pigtail check.

I know this won't work for everyone,
Obviously not every has bars for every kite.

-Marty 8)

[ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next