All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:33 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Nasty accident but again congratulations in coming through it despite injury. Four years ago, after hearing about a similar accident in Wales (see #55 in the 2002 KSI volume HERE I came up something that I thought would help. I don't see that many people doing it so here goes another try.

The guy in Wales in 2002 saw a line tangle at the last minute, yelled NO to his assistant who thought he said GO and released his kite. This guy broke a flag pole with his body and stove in the side of a van. He almost hit a wall at high speed which likely could have been terminal. Not good at all.

We OFTEN can't hear worth beans with wind and water noise. What to do, lots of guys have been injured by miscommunication during launch. Question is, have enough been hurt to try something new?

Setup a two way exchange or dialog with HAND SIGNALS.

Click image for full sized display.

The two way hand signal dialog avoids the need for clear hearing during launching.

The landing dialog can help to establish that your helper actually knows how to catch a traction kite and will be less likely to fumble the landing. This might help you to avoid bouncing head first off a boulder if someone that doesn't really know how to land a kite "helps out" (as happened before).

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:59 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Other crossed-line stories out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:16 am 
Rare Poster

This happened about 3 or 4 months ago. My mate Angus was going out for maybe his 3rd time or so and had had about 2 lessons. I saw him coming down to the beach in about 18 knots and instantly advised him NOT to go out, being as he was fairly new, with a 10m kite. To make sure he was doing okay as he set his kite up i regularly came into the beach to check on his set up technique. After he'd completed his set up he decided to do a self launch, i was on the water, but well prepared to launch him to avoid any injury. I saw him doing the self launch and started to ride in but he had already launched, WITH the lines crossed.

I would estimate that he got lifted 3m (i know its high) into the air, with onshore conditions, and then the kite looped and he got flung about 4-5m downwind into some prickles and spikey bushes. he was unhooked the entire time. I dont know why he didnt let go, but despite all of that he was SO luckey, his kite had crashed into a tree about 7 meters from over head power lines. i quickly landed my kite and hooked his safety leash onto my harness, and told his to climb the tree and deflate the kite, after that i told him to disconnect two of the side lines so i could pull his kie out.

All in all, he was fairly luckey, but id say that all of this took place over the space of about 4 seconds, and the rescue was about 30 mins.

I think he learned his lesson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Wow, I have to say you saw that one coming and tried to help him avoid it. At least he was lucky in how things worked out.

It is interesting that he didn't let go of the bar or have it yanked free. There have been other cases like this. It seems logical to practice letting go mentally and physically to try to condition to better deal with this sort thing if it comes about. Has he changed to kook proof connectors yet?

Other stories out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:41 pm 
This thread is missing the only voice that offered a solution to rigging errors.

fokiten wrote:
Regards ed,

Why the posion?

It's certainly wise to have changed the name from kook proof to kook resistant, I'd suggest one further name change, to just kook connectors...

If you know how to rig with purpose you'd have a better shot ar getting it done right the first time...truth !!!

As apposed as you seem to be in accepting the simple fact that some folks color code left right,, while others code front back,

and some kook the front pigs, while others kook the back....
nd nothing whatsoever about them prevents twists tangles or misplacement...what are they for exactly??

what are they for ed??

Why not learn how to rig a 4 line kite instead??

Moving on,,

You must accept that my

humble system addresses it ALL, and does it spectrum wide,,
What's so horrible about that??

moving on once more...

so,,,

Kooked would certainly seem to fit if your goal was to make it simple,

but all you achieved was to destroy an existing standard...

It's like that now ed,,no standard config any more, it's random colors random placement, just plain kooking now..

Now we got chaos...

Please note the accepted rigging systems are not fail safe systems,, never were,,,

Mine is the only one....fact (hey, it's not new,,but never taught as far as I know) schools teach dumb luck rigging,,untangle put them all on at once,,,see if you got it right,,,dumb unluck

wouldn't you need to agree there ? ED??

I'm of the mind that you wish to claim points for good intentions...

Industry points,,for good intentions?

Shall I get my pon poms??

It would seem that way Ed,,,

why else make such a fuss over a simple and entirely kook free rig method??

moving on,,,I'm stumped actually to know what goes on in your head??

what's the problem ed?

moving on,,,

Along those lines of acquiring points for good intentions:

You seem to want those same points for forcing rookies to powerstoke in the swim zone

and to add to thier safety spend days waliking back up wind,,kite high in the sky,

threading their way through the toddlers and their sand castles...

Hey,,you'd like a gold star wouldn't you???

Go ahead make yourself one...

Have it say,, Ed has good intentions,,,but that's all...

I remain unimpressed...

What else ya got?

Regards anyway
fokiten

l

As always Toby you can go fuck yourself if you'd ban me for quoting

posts that seek to save lives by exposing the vanity in good intentions.

From: http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:48 am 
Frequent Poster

A friend of mine launched his crossed-up kite, it looped and crashed dragging him into a sand berm, then the kite relaunched, then he pulled the safety. It took about five seconds for him to react.

[ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5