All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Shockwave or new Boxer ??
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:00 am 
Medium Poster

Since I destroyed my shockwave last weekend I need a new kite.
How will the new Boxer compare to the Shockwave (Lift, Power, Speed) ?
I know that the new Boxer hast this multiple Bar setup but you could also do that with the Shockwave.
Will be Boxer 2007 have the same price as the Shockwave 2007 or cheaper ?

Or should I switch brands and get the North Rebel or CB2 instead ?

Philipp

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:46 am 
Medium Poster

The new boxer will be cheaper than the shockwave, by a few hundred dollars.

Both the Boxer and the Shockwave with have the mutliple settings for pressure preference.

The differences between the two, (compairing SW1 and BoxerSLE) in my opinion is this... The turing speed between the two are very similar, but turn slightly different; the BoxerSLE turns more on its axis giving it a little more of a fast high performance feel. The Shockwave has a smooth, cadillac feeling, flowing turn necissary for waveriding, generating a constant pull through your bottom turn, through comming off the top...

They both have the same lift, and can go very high on both but it seems like the Shockwave tends to give you a little more hangtime through the jump.

Both really good SLE kites, but it comes down to preference, it's like the difference between the Torch and the Raven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:07 am 
Rare Poster

Thanks for the info Reo,
I can assume by your text that you have had the Boxer SLE out for a run?
I am looking to upgrade my 10 M quiver (from an Areo) to .... something. I purchased a 14 M Torch last year & love its responsiveness. The Raven has an appeal as Iam doing alot more arial manuvers. Or should I be looking at a new 9M SLE Boxer?
Thanks
:o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:20 am 
Medium Poster

Personally, I am thinking about the boxer sle for my highwind kite. The range on these kites and adjustability of them will be awesome, plus they are pretty inexpensive for sle kites. I'll probably pick the 6m because I am lightweight, but the 9m looks like it works pretty well. NaishUSA should have a review on it sometime soon, so you can decide for yourself. Try to demo it if you can. Good luck,

Austin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:40 am 
Medium Poster

I've been riding the new Boxer SLE for about a week now..

The 9M would be an excellent replacement for for a 10. The added wind range provided by the SLE kite would cover you from, about a 7M to your 14m C-kite! If your into board-off manuvers you'll have to be aware and comfortable with triming your kite. Because of the the massive depower, if you let go of the bar, the kite will sheet out and pretty much drop you out of the sky, so before you let go of the bar you have to let the sheet strap out and jump with the kite powered up. Its not that big of a deal as long as you dont mind using your sheet strap.

If your doing standard wakestyle tricks, its great for that as well...unlike some bridled kites, it doesnt have issues with flying backwards as long as it's trimed right (like any other kite)

There should be a lot of demos going around, try and get ahold of one..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:31 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Having tried this mod change on the Halo, it does reduce the bar pressure but it does compromise the response from the kite, the kite does not turn as fast, is this a totally different situation with the new Boxer, also does this mean the bar pressure is heavy on the pulley? otherwise why a need for the mod?

Daz :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:40 am 
Medium Poster

I have only tried the 1:1 change on the SW1. Personally I have no issue with bar pressure, in fact I've come to prefer it, and enjoy the added depower it provides so I have never bothered to try it on the BoxerSLE. However, from only what I have heard, people seem to really like to boxer on 1:1.

How much bar pressue on the Boxer with the 2:1? Less than the Shockwave.
What the 1:1 provides is almost no bar pressure.

I find that with the pulleys it provides line tesion at any point on the chicken loop, which gives added control. Its all a choice of personal prefernce; how you want your kite to fly. Which isn't that what its all about? One kite for everyone, being able to customize your gear. Just look at people with their trucks, cars etc. And surfer with fins, might be why FCS and Futurs are so popular, but there's always going to be the person that wants glass ons....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:48 am 
Very Frequent Poster

get a Boxer SLE, it is better to have the latest kite, since it is always a step further in development. Didn't try it, so it is theory, but specially for bow designs this should be correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:34 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks for the info guys!

If Don Montague was the chief designer of the Boxer SLE, then I don't need to road test it.... it will be more than I could have imagined!!!

I have just placed a reserve order at Big Winds Hood River for a 9M.

Hope its waiting when I arrive in the Hood River area July 28, for a 10 day stay.

Have a great summer guys!!
:thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:36 pm 
Medium Poster

Reo Stevens wrote:
(snip)Its all a choice of personal prefernce; how you want your kite to fly. Which isn't that what its all about? One kite for everyone, being able to customize your gear. Just look at people with their trucks, cars etc. And surfer with fins, might be why FCS and Futurs are so popular, but there's always going to be the person that wants glass ons....

Reo hit the nail right on the head, it is not whether 2:1 or 1:1 is the better choice but that the way that the kite is designed allows it to work extremely well in either setting so that you have more ability set the kite up just the way you like it -OR- set it up as the conditions warrant.

2:1, 1:1, unhooked, hooked in, waves, flatwater...its all good :thumb:

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next