All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:24 pm 
Medium Poster

The centre plug comes completely out so there is nothing to punch a hole in your suitcase. Baliwind will give you an option on the size of fins supplied so I went for the smallest they had as I like small fins on my boards. The fixing for the fins is a two bolt fixing with a standard spacing for the bolts so it is easy to fit alternative fins to the board. Any standard fin should fit so on my board I shall be trying out some Underground 3.5cm fins later this week. The fins supplied with the board are of high quality with small rubber gaskets at the base where they go onto the board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:16 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Anyone tried chopping a plyboard into something similar? I was thinking you could just cut it in half and add a top plate between the footpads...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:31 pm 
Frequent Poster

Tom183 wrote:
I was thinking you could just cut it in half and add a top plate between the footpads...

That's what my second-post-in-this-thread had a URL for

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:49 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Not quite what I was thinking - in other words, just a bolt-on plate in-between the footpads (not attached to them). I guess it would depend in part on how wide your stance is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:46 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

That Bali wind board is awesome!

How much do they run, if you don't mind me asking? And they say custom size/graphics available eh?

Yeah, I'd be very interested in something like that for my traveling if stood up to a pounding.

Could you PM me about how much they go for if you don't want to write it on here.

Thanks, that's EXACTLY what we need since so many people travel with their gear.

j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:27 am 
Medium Poster

Managed to use the Baliwind travel board in waves the other day and I must say I am impressed. I have ofter found with other boards that when you hit the white water or steep ramps if you are not carefully it submarines and has you off. No problem with this board, it just takes everything in its stride despite me being very underpowered and having to work the kite to keep going. Even the fins, which I thought were a bit big for me on flat water, were spot on in the rough stuff. (My normal power check on the beach is to pull in the bar with the kite at the top and if it lifts me I am OK. On that day I was still firmly planted on the beach.) So far it seems to be a perfect allround board for my weight which is about 78kilo.

In respect to price, as it is a custom board, each one is individual depending on the specification, paint job, etc so if anyone is interested then you should email Baliwind or phone them. They are rearly helpful and despite having their site in Hebrew they speak good english and you will find their email address and phone numbers on their site.

I must say I am now definitely sold on the travel board for travelling. It is certainly a lot easier not having to cart around a large golf bag, etc.

Post subject: INSTANT HIT
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:39 am 
Medium Poster

I am so shure that if a major manufacturer adopted a 2 piece board it would be an INSTANT HIT!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:35 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I SOOO agree. Wish they would. I woulnd't mind a bit more weight for easy travel.

j

Post subject: do it yourself!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:53 pm 
Rare Poster

I made one in plywood myself.
I used it for my last two trips, in Britany and in Senegal.
The flex and the scoop is perfect for the waves in Dakar.
Only drawback, a bit heavy.
http://saucisseman.free.fr/dismountable.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:00 am 
Medium Poster

If anyone is waiting for a major manufacturer to produce a travel board they are going to be waiting a long, long, very long time for the following reasons:-

1. There is a great deal more work in producing a travel board over a normal board so there would be less profit.

2. The engineering of the join in a travel board like the Baliwind board call for very close tolerences if the join is to be solid and I cannot see any manufacturer spending the money on tooling to achieve this standard in mass production.

3. The market would be small compared to the market for standard boards for the mass market.

4. Riders of different weights and experience require different size boards to get the best out of an all round board so they would require a range of boards whereas the custom builder like Baliwind can tailor the board to the customers requirements, including the flex of the board.

I must say I find my travel board awsome and I do like the fact that it looks just like any other board apart from the raised part on the deck for the carbon beam connector. Just had two great days in winds of about 20kts against a tide of about 8kts which kicked up wicked chop which the board coped with extremely well and never once splashed me in the face. Did loads of jumps and in general the board has been great. The kite was pretty good as well as a one kite quiver.

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next