Oregon Coast kiting

Forum for kitesurfers
duckman
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Oregon Coast kiting

Postby duckman » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:58 pm

I'm thinking about doing a west coast kite trip this summer and was wondering generally what the conditions are like on the Oregon/Wash Coast. I mostly kite Hatteras oceanside so I'm more interested in waves than flat water. Thinking of touring around rather than staying at one spot. Good idea?

Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Postby Nak » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:07 pm

The Oregon Coast is great! Lot's of areas where you can drive on the beach for epic downwinders... The local forum is http://www.NWkite.com The locals here are very friendly and will hook you up with the best spots. (Don't forget to feed the troll...) You'll need a wetsuit even in the Summer though. I'm unfamiliar with the Washington coast, I think there's a Seattle based forum that might have local info? Also don't forget to check http://www.Kitebeaches.com to help find the good spots! :D

Good Winds!
Nak

Blue Sky
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Oregon Kiting

Postby Blue Sky » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:42 pm

Hey, I kite in Hatteras as well and will be visiting Oregon this summer as well. I visited Astoria, OR last year and can not wait to get myself and the gear back there! It is right at the mouth of the Colunbia River where it dunps into the Pacific and it blows there EVERY day in the summer. When I was there, there were beaches as big as you can imagine with pealing 8 ft waves and nobody was around...wow. E-mail me if you would like because I will be there probably in August. - Gary gsfunman@hotmail.com

Wheels
Medium Poster

Postby Wheels » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:33 am

Check out the article I wrote for The Kiteboarder Magazine, the December 04 issue. It features 8 places to ride in the Northwest, including Fort Stevens (N. Oregon coast), Floras Lake (central to southern coast) and Jones Beach (it's basically in the mouth of the Columbia River), plus a bunch of spots in the Gorge. In some of the insider info sections, there's tips about other spots to ride on the coast too... give it a look.

http://www.riccitelliphoto.com/Images/P ... Online.pdf
or here, and download the Dec 04: http://www.theringmedia.com/KBMAG/Archive/Archive.php

If you're going to the coast, consider having a back up plan, such as knowing where to go in the Gorge... because sometimes when the Gorge shuts off, the coast lights up, and vice versa. In theory it could happen... and would give you an excuse to check out some of the killer places to ride in the Gorge.

Wheels

KiteKarl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteKarl » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:59 am

If the coast is going then you can do epic downwinders from Fort Stevens which is just west of Astoria. If Stevens is a little light then usually Manzanita will be blowing 5-10 more. If the coast is super light then drive east on highway 30 a half hour and turn left at the Korean restaurant and that'll take you to Jones beach where the afternoon winds are usually cranking but a bit gusty. Loads of sandy beaches and easy launches at all the spots mentioned.

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Florence,Newport, Whiskey Run And Pistol River

Postby blowhard » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:20 pm

If you like lot's of wind Florence is the windhole on the Or. coast ,but when it's big it's scary,and it doesn't fill in untill 4 P.M.
Pistol River has more wind and a ridable wave but is sheltered inside and nukin outside ,good when light for kites ,Whiskey Run in Bandon Area is also good open ocean sailing ,Newport is the best for lighter conditions and nice wave,everything north of Newport is light wind

Return to “Kitesurfing”