forum for kitesurfers

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Downwind for Dummies - a basic kite surfing theory

Postby tautologies » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:24 pm

waker wrote:what should people say now?

Well, the nice litte machine and the videos from spork shows a "earth" driven machine going upearth slower than earth-speed - translated: a wind driven machine going upwind slower than the windspeed.
in other word: a wind driven machine going upwind
we all do this each time we go kiting.

There are toys (used also in shool for 13-14 years old) that drive against a hairblower.
If you change things round and blow with a drive-belt at no wind, the same happens.
Somehow strange that you need a lifetime to get this analogy.. :-) ..

There is no downwind faster than... :-)

No myth here i think :thumb:

and i think no one will have a doubt in this machine, because it is just trivial..

LOL, no you're right...it is no myth to be going downwind faster than the wind..SPORK has definitely dispelled that one, but I think you got a part wrong:
Well, the nice litte machine and the videos from spork shows a "earth" driven machine going upearth slower than earth-speed - translated: a wind driven machine going upwind slower than the windspeed.
the treadmill band does like any treadmill, go against, you, so the device actually goes faster than the device..uphill at that....but all the treadmill do is imitate a situation where you have wind from the back, ie...since the device moves forward, it is going down wind faster than the wind...

a.

Klaus (c:E
Very Frequent Poster
Style: lousy
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Klaus (c:E » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:47 pm

Hai,

Hehe, after this perfect summary by Tautologies i started a stop watch to see how fast Waker can think...

Besides: Going downwind faster than the wind the air screw must be a propeller driven by the wheels. Going against the wind the air screw must be a turbine driving the wheels. The problems are similar but the optimum design is not the same.

Sea You: Klaus (c:E

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:04 am

optimus wrote:Sailing downwind faster than the wind is counter-intuitive. But when you think about it so is simply sailing upwind. When I was a kid I couldn't conceive that it would be possible to sail into the wind, but then I did it many times and it was no longer counter-intuitive.

Can you just flip the propeller over on your device and get it to go directly upwind?

Doug
You leave the prop as is but reduce the gearing and it'll go upwind nicely.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:09 am

I LOVE IT!!!

In all the time and all the forums where I've debated this (and it's a bunch in both cases), waker has been the most obnoxious and hard-headed of anyone. He's also the ONLY one that's ever accepted my $100K bet. He then claimed that he actually made such a vehicle and to his surprise it worked as advertised. He sent me a PM asking to get out of the bet at that time - and I of course let him.

So this is for you waker - the wager is still available.

tungsten222
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tungsten222 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:30 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed in urna et enim porttitor ullamcorper ac non ipsum. Proin eleifend orci quis ligula convallis et viverra metus porta. Fusce commodo eros ut sapien euismod venenatis. Proin suscipit auctor laoreet. Phasellus scelerisque viverra nisi eu malesuada. Etiam malesuada tellus non neque fermentum at molestie mi condimentum. Vestibulum gravida enim sit amet nisi mattis pulvinar. Suspendisse hendrerit ipsum id neque sodales ut tincidunt felis dignissim. Suspendisse potenti. Phasellus venenatis pharetra consectetur. Curabitur tempus lacinia dui. Nunc semper arcu id leo lacinia porta. Proin commodo adipiscing egestas. Suspendisse adipiscing enim turpis, sed.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:38 am

tungsten222 wrote: And no, I didn't delete my posts, why would I?
I'm sure he's refering to waker, who deleted all of his ranting and insulting posts around the time he backed out of the bet with me. It must have taken him some time to do so since the forum was just plain bukake'd by his B.S.

Oddly (well, probably not that odd on the waker scale) he now seems to be back to telling me it can't be done - but not yet back to taking me up on my wager.

tungsten222
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tungsten222 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:44 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed in urna et enim porttitor ullamcorper ac non ipsum. Proin eleifend orci quis ligula convallis et viverra metus porta. Fusce commodo eros ut sapien euismod venenatis. Proin suscipit auctor laoreet. Phasellus scelerisque viverra nisi eu malesuada. Etiam malesuada tellus non neque fermentum at molestie mi condimentum. Vestibulum gravida enim sit amet nisi mattis pulvinar. Suspendisse hendrerit ipsum id neque sodales ut tincidunt felis dignissim. Suspendisse potenti. Phasellus venenatis pharetra consectetur. Curabitur tempus lacinia dui. Nunc semper arcu id leo lacinia porta. Proin commodo adipiscing egestas. Suspendisse adipiscing enim turpis, sed.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wibbler
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wibbler » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:50 pm

So Waker 'Mullhollanded' his early posts...

You never see those two guys in the same place at the same time...

I wonder....

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:18 pm

Wibbler wrote:So Waker 'Mullhollanded' his early posts...

You never see those two guys in the same place at the same time...

I wonder....
I don't know. Neither one has a head that will cast a shadow. But they seem to somehow be ignorant in orthogonal directions.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:44 pm

We've had a couple of people ask us for the parts to build one of these carts. I'd like to be able to send out a parts kit that makes it easy for people to try it for themselves without them having to hunt down all the right parts from various sources. If I have 10 or so people that are interested, I think it would make sense (to minimize shipping costs and part out those things that come in multiples, etc.).

If I do this I do not intend to make any profit at all on it. On the contrary. I'll just put together the parts kit and pass it along for cost. I expect the cost to be in the neighborhood of $30 or so, and it will still require a little bit of basic hobby skills to put it together.

Please let me know if you'd be interested in one.

Return to “Kitesurfing”