Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fastest turning 12m kite

forum for kitesurfers

RAL INN
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Sandy Point
Favorite Beaches: Pt Danger, Torquay, Aust.
Sandy point, Aust.
Nananu-i-ra, Fiji.
Style: freeride/waves
Gear: Zeeko Krush 12m, 9m, Notus3 10m.
Bhoot130x 39 TT, Zeeko Slash surfboard
Brand Affiliation: Naish, Zeeko.
Location: Victoria, Australia./instr+retailer www.krakentours.com

Postby RAL INN » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:57 am

Just plain Fast, is the F-one Impact 13m.

Does that count in this comparison?

How fast compared to the Wavetype? I don't know as I haven't directly compared them at the same time in the same conditions.

I have seen a wavetype10 and the Impact13 looks to compare with that.

Has anybody who have replied here tried an Impact 13m ?
Not playing up the Impact here but just wanting a benchmark that I can relate to.

ToastSYN
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: anywhere on Maui
Favorite Beaches: Ka'a Point, Matanzas Inlet
Style: overpowered
Gear: Royal Era 8m, Torch 7m, Obession 7m, 9m
Brand Affiliation: Mercenary

Postby ToastSYN » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:46 am

Just shootin this out to any of you who had ridden the wave and wave2, did any of you also try the HIR? I only spent one session on a RRD wave 12m and I didn't fly it back to back against anything else. I know my 13m hir was easily faster than the vegas 12, naish torch2 12 and a yarga 13m(I think it was 13). I wouldn't really compare the turning speed of bows to high performance C kites as they both turn in a different way. Though some of the bows I've flown did appear to rotate in the window faster they didn't carry the power through the turn as did my HIR. The real way to measure the kites is to fly them from one side of the window to the other and turn them at the same point and then see how long it takes them to complete the lap back to the other side of the window. Also to conduct this with the same conditions, I for one would be happy to do this if all the companies would like to send me a 12-13m kite for the test.

Toast

Drop in one more vote for the RRD Wave2 -even though my HIR is a 100 million times faster

maddy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby maddy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:48 am

a turnig test could work ?? does it exist?

on a standard bar (same for all) same time (standing in a line)

number of turns in a fixed time :?:

is it turning speed that important over a minimum turnig speed average ??
or over a certain wind speed ??

enrico666
Medium Poster

Postby enrico666 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:57 am

Probably the rebel...

Anyway, I personally think that at some point fast turning becomes too fast, and the kite becomes too unforgiving, let's say.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 120 and 135
Moses Fluente 550/590 + 330/325 and 633 set
North Mono 7, 9, 12
Ozone Reo 5
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 13m

Postby TomW » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:17 pm

Thanks for the posts.

Ive not flow a LOT of kites, but have learned thru my vacation use of a Waroo 7 on a 45cm bar (really fast in my comparison) faster kites are more fun for me.

Now a 12 that is really fast would be more use at my home spot.

Hard to demo where i am, so i go a lot on others opinions.

I tried the 06 North Vegas 10 on a 45cm bar and it was FAST, rep says 12 is just as fast. Nice kite. Any comparisons to the RRD Wave?

SS TD 12 was fast too, but the bar pressure is too much for me.

There is a retailer of RRDs 2 hrs north.....

TW

johnmelton
Frequent Poster

Postby johnmelton » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:45 pm

I think the RRD Wave 1 12m turns a good bit faster than the Vegas 06 12m, but the Vegas is a much better kite all around, (2 years newer design). I don't know about the Wave 2.

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeyAir » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:01 pm

Caution answer 12 meter on their longer bar or stock bar is a very fast turning kite. It does cary more power through the turns than the flatter SLE's and has the advantage of way more bottom end grunt when needed for critical wave applications. (Much more like classic C.) Oh, yeah; more top end as well of course. The turning surprises the hell out of everyone I let use it after they try other SLE/Bows. We test as many as we can for the smallest kite with the most power and quickest turning for our light winds and our heavy weights. A few of the SLE's will pivot on their tip in a second but don't deliver that power you are used to in the process. This is what some people actually want but I empathise with your needs. A couple of guys showed with the RRD wave a bit back. Great turning but no balls for the light stuff. If you are light and have good winds though, you will be stoked. What is the story with RRD and a wave SLE design? Are they doing it? Seems like they had the wave focus back when.
Good luck.

gdorfman
Medium Poster

Postby gdorfman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:40 am

if you can get a flat 9m kite to deliver the same power as a normal 12m kite, which most people can, then you should consider that as well.

fast, efficient flat kites have great low end, but i agree with monkeyair that the low end isn't quite as good in waves because it can be hard to keep your speed up (going out especially), and all the power relies on speed. more grunt would be easier at times, but i still like small flat kites.

The Ranger
Rare Poster

Postby The Ranger » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:29 am

Yes, the type wave is by far the fastest kite on the market.. No other kite comes close to it.

dewey
Frequent Poster

Postby dewey » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:24 pm

MonkeyAir wrote:Caution answer 12 meter on their longer bar or stock bar is a very fast turning kite. It does cary more power through the turns than the flatter SLE's and has the advantage of way more bottom end grunt when needed for critical wave applications. (Much more like classic C.) Oh, yeah; more top end as well of course. The turning surprises the hell out of everyone I let use it after they try other SLE/Bows. We test as many as we can for the smallest kite with the most power and quickest turning for our light winds and our heavy weights. A few of the SLE's will pivot on their tip in a second but don't deliver that power you are used to in the process. This is what some people actually want but I empathise with your needs. A couple of guys showed with the RRD wave a bit back. Great turning but no balls for the light stuff. If you are light and have good winds though, you will be stoked. What is the story with RRD and a wave SLE design? Are they doing it? Seems like they had the wave focus back when.
Good luck.
I'd seen a RRD SEL about a month ago. I think it's called the type hyper(07). I didn't get a chance to fly it but heard good reports. I fly the HiR's and had to slow the turning speed of my 10m, but the type wave is still WAY faster.

Return to “Kitesurfing”