Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hurghada Room Rates

forum for kitesurfers

Buntt
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Buntt » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:30 pm

This is our first week back after a 2 week stay at the Magawish Village. From my own experinece i would suggest staying at Magawish, but whatever you do, do not chose the Half Board Option!! The bufet restaurant is just plain rank! Both my gf and i had the raging shits first few days, till we both decided to not eat there anymore...instead choosing to buy our own food in town. The rooms are all a/c and have tv's. Bathrooms are little run down and in general the accom itself is nothing special. Facilities/shops are over priced and lacking in good value for money.

There is one factor that would strongly put me off from staying to far away from colona Watersports...the heat! It was bad enough making the 5-10 min walk every morning to Colona, so sod having to spend 30-60mins on some bus! The heat does really sap your energy very quick, so the closer to the kitesurfing spot you are the better i reckon.

The service at colona was good i guess. The launch spot is a little sketchy for my liking, but always someone there to help out. Rescue service was good, and i made good use of it during my stay, the guys even offering up-wind piggy backs on the boats when needed. Wind condition not the best, was mostly out on my 16m during the 2 weeks, with 2 days on my 13.

Rossall
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool and Como.
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Waddell
Tarifa
Gear: Follow the Rabbits
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby Rossall » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:17 pm

Has anyone stay at Soma Bay, whats that like ?

stefannn
Medium Poster

Postby stefannn » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:56 pm

Rossall wrote:Has anyone stay at Soma Bay, whats that like ?
I am about to go to Soma Bay - Intercontinental for one week. As soon as I am back, I'll let you know.
Stefan

Satan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Satan » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:49 pm

The main reason the Megawish resort sucks is that they water their grass with raw sewage. It the most nasty thing I've ever witnessed (or more accurately smelt). And that's not even addressing the public health side. It they don't have proper water for the grass why not a rock garden or something.

Colona is by far the best run kite spot I've ever seen. The Megawish is near the bottom, but it’s next to the kite spot so what can you do?

wotreeclapton
Rare Poster

Postby wotreeclapton » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:18 pm

Soma bay!!
Intercontinal hotel is the dogs very very posh
The kite spot is nice and there are 2 schools to choose from
Mark warner or a German Winsurf/kite rin by Peter Miller
Both are good but the bay is better at Peters although its mainly a windsurf place so theres not so much support (ie spares etc)

As for using sewage on the grass they all do it here, it rains once a year and egypt is a desert so how would you make the most of your water?
If you want nice lawns and trees they gotta have water!!!!

R Soul
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Str8 From The Horses Mouth... Ravens and Shinns... Love 'em.

Postby R Soul » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:17 pm

Satan wrote:
Colona is by far the best run kite spot I've ever seen. The Megawish is near the bottom, but it’s next to the kite spot so what can you do?

You can stay at the Sofitel, very nice, and just an 8 minute walk down the beach!

Slider
Medium Poster

Postby Slider » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:28 pm

Well, how the world turns. Kitesurfers far from being the free spirits of the surf culture used to living out of camper vans and shitting in buckets are snobs of the windsurfing culture with bmw's and soft toilet paper.

I stay in 4 & 5 star hotels for work all of the time, but when I'm on my kitesurfing holiday, the Magawish has everything you need: a room with the basic facilities you need and within a few minutes of the kite centre. Sure the evening meal buffet is not very inspiring, but at 20p for a trip into town and a slap up meal including beer for about £6 who cares.

Far from the earlier comments all the staff at Magawish from the receptionist to the boys pouring (the admitidly smelly water on the grass) will all greet you with a smile and do anything they can to help you. The lads seconded from the hotel to work at Colona are all (well mostly) eager and keen to please and know how to handle your kite when launching / landing or rescuing.

Only one person has mentioned the partner factor, my girlfriend has been twice with me and was happy enough with the Magawish, but got a bit fed up with Egypt so I get to go at least once a year without her and concentrate soley on kiting (the only excuse for wanting a softer hotel option is the femail nag factor). Being able to fall out of bed to the kite centre, stay there all day and hae access to your room if necessary is a perfect option. After kiting and a sundowner, back to the room to get showered and changed and get a bus to town for the evening - what could be simpler.

I'm in the process of organising a lads trip for next spring for some of my local bro's and will be staying at Magawish and Colona again.

:bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”