Favorite Beaches: Cabaret, Cocos, WA
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Switch, Underground, NP
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Brody » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:46 pm

Akado-san,

You are right, the proposed venues are better than any kite spot in the Tokyo area but what I am refering to is exposure. Events like this should try and attract the attention of as many surfers, windsurfers and general public as possible.

The kiting potential in Japan is HUGE since there are already thousands of surfers and windsurfers and events like the one you are putting together is really great and it does a lot for kiteboarding...

...its just a bit dissapointing that some brands are boicotting the event and totally missing the bigger picture that would increase their own brand's sales...and also that so little awareness is being created in areas like Tokyo where the largest portion of the population lives.

But at least you are doing the right thing and that is great!!

phlow
Frequent Poster
Weight: 216lbs
Local Beach: Leeside, Beasley, Sandestin
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Provo, Turks and Caicos
Sandy Spit, BVI's
Loblolly Bay, Anegada
Coco Plum, Exuma
Style: Foil, Freeride, Surf
Gear: Duotone Neo / Mono, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Kanaha Shapes Much Macho, Moses Hydrofoils

Postby phlow » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:53 pm

despite what akado-san says, there is plenty of places to kite around tokyo. yeah, not as nice as okinawa, guam or his side of honshu, but still good. i just moved back to US after 2 years in tokyo and i kited more there than almost anyplace i lived so far.

websites i used:

http://www.kaiho.mlit.go.jp/03kanku/yok ... /index.htm
(best, updated frequently)
http://www.e-tenki.net/
http://weathernews.jp/
http://www.jma.go.jp/en/amedas/206.html?elementCode=1
  • if you have a car, the best place to ride is futtsu-misaki, 75 min from downtown via aqua-line tunnel. catches wind from almost any direction except straight east.
    closest place = kemigawahama just south of makuhari-messe. only works on south, but that's the prevailing summer thermal. usually almost guaranteed every afternoon in summer. this place is not great, but you can ride and have fun if you can stay upwind (it's usually straight onshore)
    miurakaigen is good if it's northerly, but only outside summer peak season, as beach is very very crowded in summer.
    chiba (nakazato etc.) many great beaches for waves and downwinders.
crew is hard-core and very friendly at most of these spots. PM me or email me if you need more infos. i was just in tokyo last weekend but am back in US now.

cmhbedouin
Rare Poster

Postby cmhbedouin » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:34 am

Thanks to all for the information.

Chris

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:17 am

No wind over the weekends? Hell I just rode the weekend before last at Hiratsuka in 19 gusts 23 knots!!! For nearly four hours until it died to 13knots. Stayed on the same kite the whole time too. :) I've got HUGE blisters. But you're right wind has been shite reacently hasn't it? :x

That REALLY SUCKS ABOUT BEST. Akado-san thanks for getting him here though. I say screw them all and just go ride there and show the gear. It's NOT their beach as they'll have you believe. The beach in front of Miura Kaigan is not too friendly as the kite shop owner will have you "check in" with him to see if it's ok to kite at the goverment owned and operated beach. Just drive around the corner where most other kiters go, or just say screw it and ride.

For north winds Miura is nice if you have a car, and Hiratuska is awesome for south winds. Kujukuri is REALLY nice but a bit far, Kemigawahama is good for summer, and Futtsu is also really nice, but a bit far and/or a bit expensive on the toll road. (3000 en each way!)

Where do you live Chris? I drive to one of these spots pretty much every weekend and pick people up on the way. I'd love to have another gaijin kiter to join the "crew". :D It's a free ride if you keep me company on the trip. :thumb: We don't care how good/bad you are and are all about just having fun. People at Hiratsuka, Miura south side, and Kujukuri have been really freindly so far btw.

We also take trips down to Okinawa in the winter that just plain rock! Cheap flights in the winter, and hotels are cheaper too, but it's still plenty warm with tropical water and MANY beaches to ride most of the winter!

PM me and we'll go out anytime.

j
Brand bashers SUCK and beach hoarders are even worse! It should be a sport for ALL to enjoy no matter what! :thumb:

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:27 am

chmbedouin,

We're going out this weekend...let me know if you want to join us...should be great winds, not too strong not too weak. :thumb:

j

surfinsmiley
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 82kg
Local Beach: Taranaki
Style: Surf & Big Kite boosting!
Gear: Turbine. WOW. Rally.

Postby surfinsmiley » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:32 pm

Here`s the wind thing that I find the most reliable for Chiba. Updated half hourly...... Pretty accurate......

http://www.kaiho.mlit.go.jp/03kanku/cho ... /index.htm

I`m in Nakameguro if your any where close drop me a PM. I`m only free on Mondays and sometimes one other weekday though.

If you can, hook up with Biggins and his crew, I`ve never been able to hook up with them for a kite, but a fantastic crew.............

Now is the season for Chiba, It was pretty much perfectly clean 15knots of North Easterly yesterday.

Brody
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pinnaroo
Favorite Beaches: Cabaret, Cocos, WA
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Switch, Underground, NP

Postby Brody » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:10 pm

...biggens...surfinsmiley

...man, I am looking for some wind (15-30 knots...seems that there should be some decent wind the coming weekend...but what would be the best spot that is not too far from Tokyo...?

Seems it would be NE...so maybe Futssu?

...any advice would be greatly appreciated

surfinsmiley
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 82kg
Local Beach: Taranaki
Style: Surf & Big Kite boosting!
Gear: Turbine. WOW. Rally.

Postby surfinsmiley » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:50 am

Drop a PM to Biggins he`s in the know about the good spots in the Bay area which may well be the closest to you.

As you can probably tell from my screen name I`m very surf orientated and this next week will be Typhoon swell heaven so it`s no kites for me, just double overhead barrels :thumb: ........

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:24 pm

Hey guys, sorry I missed this until the weekend was over...oops. :oops:

GREAT wind at Miura kaigan on Saturday, pretty steady in the 22-27 knot range and sideshore...awesome with nice little waves to launch off,

Then good at the same spot Sunday, wind around 10-13 on the inside and a bit more on the outside until 330pm when it died to less than 8knots and everyone came off the water. good day for trying blind, and what ever else you can do without jumping more than 5 or so feet.

Ironically, not many Japanese have a good light wind board or a big kite so they all go downwind until the wind is above 12knots.

Yep, wind was great and a good time was had by all.

Brody, How was Futtsu? if you want to hook up sometime PM me.

Surfinsmiley one of these days we need to hook up. I'm off weekends now so Monday is out...sorry.

The season has started though...FINALLY! :thumb:

j

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:34 pm

typhoon in Okinawa!!! I'm going with a buddy for the three day weekend coming up.

Everyday should be over 20knots and sunny and warm!!! I've got another buddy who's hurt so maybe he'll be our honorary camerman for a few beers and I'll post a video.

God I love typhoon riding! :thumb:

j

Return to “Kitesurfing”