Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

No beach? No problema ...with a Bowtender.

Forum for kitesurfers
Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

No beach? No problema ...with a Bowtender.

Postby Wetstuff » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:07 pm

I’m a little slow to fall in love with Bow kites. I actually still prefer 5th line kites ... and one of the reasons is that I kite mostly alone at odd hours and feel a 5-line is safer to handle alone.

The SLE Shockwave has one really neat feature: let go of the bar and it hangs loose like a good dog. I made the DEADMAN, so when I am at the ocean - he tends the kite for me while I'm picking my nose.

The big problem was when I was over on the other side of the barrier island: there’s no beach..no room! This new BOWTENDER solves that problem - Big Time. This worked so well, I left the kite for about a half hour and got some liquids and calories.
Before the moral police don their uniforms: 1. there were no civilians anywhere nearby ... 2. If it broke loose; it would have only ended up in a marsh with 10,000 mosquitos per sq M. ...but, Yes, it would be a hazard for other kiters - but there were no other kiters! That is the point.
I used to have a float where I could attach a few boards, so I did not have to come in to change boards, but because the Shockwave is so docile; I attached the chicken loop to the carabiner and left my board with the line over the top to hold it. My new version will have a pocket for the board.
I used a 13lb Danforth off my boat and it dug in the mud/sand perfectly. The core is a close-cell foam and the next one will have a mesh cover - this one held water.

The winds over the period were maybe 8-18kts. The kite fell over on its face but re-launched itself. A couple of times in the puffs it lifted off just a little bit but came back into the position you see here. I may make a second one; launch two kites and simply leave them in position so I can switch kites and boards without loosing too much time. The lines always stayed perfectly straight, the water does not scratch or wear the kite, etc.... What's not to like?!

This is almost like the old-days with Peter Lynn kites that would sit nicely at zenith, but it is safer and these kites work better. Anyway, I have a new liking for SLEs. Now I need to learn to love the way they fly.

....and feel free to make one. I'm not going to commercialize it or do stoopid patents.

Jim

CharlestonKiter
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby CharlestonKiter » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:25 pm

Crap man, patent the damn thing, anything the might forseeably pay for new kiting gear is a good thing :P Very cool idea

Kite Scarecrow
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kite Scarecrow » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:46 pm

It is "outside of the box" thinking like that which progresses this sport. That is a fantastic idea...one question...Do you kite out with the "Deadman" anchor in hand and then set it, or do you wade out and set it, then wade in and launch?

iAN

solo flight
Frequent Poster

Postby solo flight » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:28 pm

WAY TO GO ,was thinking of using a plastic container for a float,but I got some old boogeyboards that can do the job better.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:08 pm

I use a similar system for 5th line launch and for parking kites and boards, as in the attachment. Sorry no action photos. If water is flat it is convenient for launching, but probably not safe if wavy and gusty. Want to catch a runaway kite with an anchor attached? I like your big yellow float Wetstuff....
Attachments
Submarine kitescarecrow.JPG
*note: back lines are passed under canopy while moored...
Submarine kitescarecrow.JPG (113.98 KiB) Viewed 6854 times

Kite Scarecrow
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kite Scarecrow » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:25 pm

BWD,

I like how you named your picture "submarine kite scarecrow." :thumb:

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:27 pm

Wetstuff,

I love what you have done here. Your projects are always so NEAT and professional looking.

As a "tinkerer", here is my 2 cents:

Since I got my SLE kites about 4 months ago, I have been doing a similar type launch on land and in the water. I was lucky enough to have a convenient stump in the water , to tie a shackle to, so I didn't have to place a float and anchor in the water. Your "Bow tender" launch is a variation of the "dog stake" launch, but done in the water rather than on dry land...a good idea to save wear and tear on the kite.

Here are some pictures of a "Line Tender/Dispenser" device, I tinkered up out of PVC pipe. By using this line rake and double sided winder, I can set up my kite and lines on land, and only make one trip out into the water, easily carrying my board, bar and kite. The main purpose of the device is to allow me to walk the kite out to the edge of the window, without dragging the full length of the kite lines through the water, rocks and seaweed. I am able to hold the kite in the stable upside-down position with one hand at the pump leash on the leading edge, and the other hand holding the "Line Tender/Dispenser" device, while "night-sticking" off the line from the device, as I walk toward the edge of the wind window. The device also lets me set up the lines in advance at home, which is a time saver at the beach, and a space saver if you have to blow up the kite in a clearing in the woods.

To use the device:

(1) Insert the lines (in my case, 5 lines) in the slots (color coded) and then, rotate the white pieces to trap the lines
(2) Rake the lines to within about 12 feet of the end of the lines, and then wind the 12 feet of line on the one side of
the device.
(3) Wind the lines (heading toward the bar) on the other side of the device in a figure 8 pattern, just like you would
be winding your lines on the bar.
(4) When you get to the bar, secure the bar to the device with the velcrox strap, so that all the lines stay in place.

(5) At the beach, first unwrap the 12 feet of line which goes to the kite and hook up the lines to the nose-down
blown up kite, just like you would do with a Turbolauncher.
(6) Pick up the kite and flip it upside-down, and carry in one hand, by the bridle or pump leash.

(7) Pick up the bar and board with the other hand and walk out into the water to the anchored float or stump.

(8) At the float or stump, undo the velcrox and free the bar, so you can shackle the chicken loop to the float or
stump.
(9) Walk with the kite in one hand and the "Line Tender/Dispenser" device in the other and "nightstick" the device
to unwind the lines, as you walk the kite out to the edge of the wind window.
(10) Set the kite on its wingtip and go back to the bar,to perform the "dog stake launch", first securing the
"Line Tender/Dispenser" device to the float using the velcrox strap.

I always fly my SLE kites with a 5th line, and only use the 5th to perform shallow water drift style or "staked 5th line" style launchs, and self landings, and therfore, I can perform another variation of this style "staked" launch, where I can place the kite in the direct downwind position from the stake, in a stable,"nose down and into the wind" position. This works better in high or gusty winds. I won't get into the details of that style launch now, but if anyone is interested in knowing the details, just let say so, and I will describe it.

Here are some pictures of the prototype "Line Tender/Dispenser" device:
Attachments
line tender - line slots closed.JPG
line tender - line slots closed.JPG (121.42 KiB) Viewed 6747 times
line tender  - line slots open.JPG
line tender - line slots open.JPG (119.94 KiB) Viewed 6746 times
line tender windings.JPG
line tender windings.JPG (121.84 KiB) Viewed 6745 times

PiaKite
Frequent Poster

Postby PiaKite » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:14 pm

Hey Wetstuff:

What a great idea!

I've used the method of attaching the chicken loop to a fixed object to launch and land my kite many, many times - mostly using my truck, sometimes using 4X4 sign posts at the beach. This was always done in places that had lots of room, but there is one place where I couldn't figure out how to self launch that way and that was on my own property.

I have a lot in Laguna Vista, Texas that is across the bay (Laguna Madre) from South Padre Island, Texas. In fact, Kitezilla has been there and knows the problem wth the launch site. In a southeast flow, it ALWAYS blows harder and less gusty at my lot than on the island, so I've really wanted to kite off my lot but couldn't figure out how to do it unassisted. The lot has a seawall and a dock and I could rig on my grass, but because of the seawall, dock, and prevailing wind, I hadn't figured out how to set up the kite on its wingtip out in the water.

Your method will solve that problem as will Kitezillas winder.

Thanks.

'Zilla, we're definitely gonna have to ride off my place in October - just like Holly Beach except not as crowded.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:24 am

Here is another nice one posted by airfly showing the stability of the bows for these types of things. Kiting from a boat? Time for lunch? Hmmm...nice and easy.

Gibby
Medium Poster

Postby Gibby » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:25 am

But does it work in the waves? Just kidding. That is a nice idea. Where in MD have you used that?

Return to “Kitesurfing”