All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Mako boards
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:48 pm 
Frequent Poster

Anybody tried Ocean Rodeo's Mako boards? I don't see anyone riding them here in Denmark. Good board? Bad board? What about the new shorter version Mako 134?

Links to a good review also welcome.

Kirk

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:46 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Lt me just say that I am not affiliated with any brand...just a dude who pays full price and hopes he likes it.
I bought the mako 5months ago based on what I read about it, which was a little unnerving, only hoping that it would live up to the price tag.
At the time I couldnt ride switch or jump, but I could stay upwind. I was coming froma litewwave 125 which a real rough ride in the chop, and not too fast of a board. I wanted a board that felt real carvy, easy to ride switch, good for jumping and fast. So thed mako 150cm seemed to fit the bill.
I can honestly say that I dont ride any other board anymore, ever. This board is a freaking dream to ride. Real fast, great in the chop, carves great, transitions are like snowboarding in powder. The pop seems great on this board but I dont have much to compare it to.
The extra length doent seem to be a problem, in fact it make things like waves and switch real comfy. I ride this board from 12mph and up. Been out in 30-35 and holding the edge is no problem, but then I ride bows.

This boards flat out rules, it is even better than my old Jimmy Lewis by a long shot. Get one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:18 pm 
Frequent Poster

Thanks for the post!
I will try the 150. Any thoughts on the new 134 Mako that is just hitting the dealers now? I am leaning towards easyriding and old school stuff so I think either the 150 or new 134 could suit me fine.

regards
Kirk

coleman wrote:
Lt me just say that I am not affiliated with any brand...just a dude who pays full price and hopes he likes it.
I bought the mako 5months ago based on what I read about it, which was a little unnerving, only hoping that it would live up to the price tag.
At the time I couldnt ride switch or jump, but I could stay upwind. I was coming froma litewwave 125 which a real rough ride in the chop, and not too fast of a board. I wanted a board that felt real carvy, easy to ride switch, good for jumping and fast. So thed mako 150cm seemed to fit the bill.
I can honestly say that I dont ride any other board anymore, ever. This board is a freaking dream to ride. Real fast, great in the chop, carves great, transitions are like snowboarding in powder. The pop seems great on this board but I dont have much to compare it to.
The extra length doent seem to be a problem, in fact it make things like waves and switch real comfy. I ride this board from 12mph and up. Been out in 30-35 and holding the edge is no problem, but then I ride bows.

This boards flat out rules, it is even better than my old Jimmy Lewis by a long shot. Get one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:02 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Kirok,

Ive have a Mako for over a year, ride around Malmoe.

This is by far the best kiteboard out there. Kiteboardings best kept secret.

Goes fast, directionally stable at speed, loose too, upwind machine, pressure on both feet = longer sessions. Kills chop, great at low and high winds=all around board. Snowboard in powder is excellent description. Forgiving when landing=tips dont dig in.

Only negative is swing-weight if u are into radical twisting rotation tricks.

Then u should look at new Mako Pro 134cm, more TT style

I paid full retail, not sponsored. U can get one from Kitesweden

Just get one.

TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:02 pm 
Medium Poster

Yah, I've been looking for one of these cheap, I love the idea of riding with more of a balanced stance, the textbook kitesurf stance has always felt weird to me, being able to ride with more weight on the front foot like a snowboard would be amazing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:14 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

there is a delicate balance with this board. If you are really powered up and you shift your stance forward the board charges upwind. It actually is the opposite on other boards it seems like. But i have found that too much forward weight will kill your board speed and you sink. Its a fine line but the centered stance thing it the shit for sure.
I agree, best kept secret in the sport. I havent met one person who knows about them. I think you have to be an internet gear junkie! :bye:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:15 pm 
Rare Poster

I have a Mako 150. I agree that it is a great board, edges well ,eats chop. It does not feel long in the water but when you boost you are aware of the extra length. It is a unique board in the sense that you can edge really hard but at the same time the board will go loose really easy. It is also great surfing in small waves ( I have never tried it in big waves) . I don't think it is for everyone, great for guys who like to go fast, cruise and jump high but not into tricks and rolls. I would think that the 134 will be awesome especially because of the concave. The Mako is now the only board I ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:37 am 
Medium Poster

Hi

I am interested what kind of rocker Mako has.

How much rocker at tips?

Continous, progressive or 3-stage rocker?
is there flat section in midle?

Thanks, Tom

ot: TomW waroo 7 is great kite, thanks for previus oppinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:29 am 
Frequent Poster

Tom wrote:
Hi

I am interested what kind of rocker Mako has.

How much rocker at tips?

Continous, progressive or 3-stage rocker?
is there flat section in midle?

Thanks, Tom

ot: TomW waroo 7 is great kite, thanks for previus oppinion.

about 7 cm progesive no flat section

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:28 am 
Medium Poster

Thanks tomtom

Lots of Toms in here :lol:

See ya

[ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next