All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: new kite torn arghhhhh
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:15 pm 
Rare Poster

:oops: just tore a nice 40 cm rip in my 16m airush lift, f**king pi**ed, got some spinnaker repair tape. Will this be enough or should I get it done in a shop , professionally, maybe you guys out there have suffered the same plight, I want to put Spinnaker tape front and back but I am not sure whether it will hold ??????thanks in advance for advice,

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: new kite torn arghhhhh
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:22 pm 
obyone67 wrote:
:oops: just tore a nice 40 cm rip in my 16m airush lift, f**king pi**ed, got some spinnaker repair tape. Will this be enough or should I get it done in a shop , professionally, maybe you guys out there have suffered the same plight, I want to put Spinnaker tape front and back but I am not sure whether it will hold ??????thanks in advance for advice,

Just tape the bitch, It's a good thing now you chuck that little sand broom in the in crapper where it belongs,,,

Hey, it takes two to tape, one guy to hold the seam straight and another guy to fuck it up by being too anal about the project.

It's just a kite, one day you'll be wipen your ass with it when your out of toilet paper and living in your car,,

It's in all our futures,,,,,,just tape the bitch.

fokiten

Post subject: Re: new kite torn arghhhhh
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:38 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

obyone67 wrote:

Ignore that fokin fool, he does not kite!

If the rip is between the centre strut and the next ones and is between the leading edge and trailing edge, get it sewn (you could also hand sew it), sailcloth based spinnaker tape probably will not hold in the high pressure centre part of your kite, especially if you live in warmer weather areas.

When you apply the tape make sure the kite is clean and dry, wipe it over first with a damp cloth to remove any salt or sand dust. Burnish the tape thoroughly, which means press it down firmly, all over.

Insignia tape works better, if you cannot get it sewn easily but is harder to get, try sailmakers. Its the stuff they use to cut letters from for sail numbers, also used for light reinforcements on sails, it is a stickyback dacron cloth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:40 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

fo's right, tape it.. for it to be hard as nails, tape both sides and I've used clear mylar tape in the past and you can hardly see it.... and I've turned into your anal mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

why dont you take fokitens advice and tape the 40cm tear in your kite, then when it tears in half the next time you load it for a jump you can come back on here and tell him what a wanker he is.

40cm is a massive tear, anywhere in a canopy, get it stitched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:48 am 
Well.

I'm glad we cleared that up?

Let's see, fo says tape the bitch and forget about it, k/p says sew it yourself, the Russian says I'm right, sq says tape it and be sorry,,,Hmmm

I bet you feel all straightened out now?

I'll tell you this, we used a whole roll of tape 15 feet of it on my first 8.4,,

I sailed it for entire season after that,,,sold it,,,,,bought it back,,, used it as a loaner,,,,,,,for another season,,, then donated it to some school in argenteina,
last spring,,,,,just heard it's still kickin asses down there.

Sail bandage, from Murry's Marine....

The shit is Bomber,

I'd say, sew it yourself then come back here and tell k/p *&^%$#@%^^

But you want to fix that kite so,,,,,just tape the bitch with "Sail Bandage" and forget it,,,
It's also clear by the way!
fokiten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:15 am 
Very Frequent Poster

If you have access to a kite repair shop, just take it to them is my advice. Having your kite professionally repaired is better for your sanity and the resale value of the kite. Plus the shop should warranty the repair so if there are any problems they got to fix it free of charge.

Just my 2 cents...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:29 am 
Medium Poster

6 month warranty on the 14 metre ocean rodeo bronco i'm picking up in a few days, so if a bladder pops or it tears somewhere i just take it back and the shop owner deals with it :thumb:

surely you should have something similar if your kite is brand new..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:43 am 
Frequent Poster

not if u stick it into a tree or a fence :-?

yes they might warranty the repair

I bet if u get an under warranty kite repaired by a non-approved repairer you will lose the manufacturers warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:59 am 
Rare Poster

:thumb: thanks all, nice to know ye all care, going to stitch it, sail repair shop, appreciate the help.

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next