All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:15 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

PAFF wrote:
They have had this system for years, and on SS-North kites i have used this bar because i like the none plastic depowerrope, and the self-centering CL.

The most 2007 gear i have seen have it like this now, but there are still some whit white-lines.. :roll:

The self centering, chicken loop, I didn't fully appreciate until I started trying to do unhooked things again, and I really remember the times I have tired that before on bars without the centering thing, and I had try to take one hand off the bar and pull the chicken loop to correct it. Hmm, sorry to take this off topic, but since you mentioned it....

a.

Post subject: Tangled Lines: Why not try a LineCrawler????
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:34 pm 
Rare Poster

[quote="theflyingtinman"][quote="kitezilla"]Words to live by:

“The objective is to remove as many 'opportunities'
to screw ourselves, as possible.â€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:33 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hey KiteLobster,

Sign me up.....Test Crash Dummy is my middle name!!

If you want some evidence that I am in need of a professionally designed and manufactured "self-launch-belaying" device, check out these posts. I offer them as my "portfolio":

Here are 3 pictures illustrating the range and history of my career in experimentation with self-launching devices. I have rejected 95% of my ideas, as a result of shortcomings found, upon testing of the prototype device or idea. The third picture shows the final and only device I use now to perform 3 different types of self-launch (other than the giant “Pipe Launcherâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:38 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Here is the series of pictures, I mentioned:

Attachments:
bucket.jpg
bucket.jpg [ 118.21 KIB | Viewed 542 times ]
kf-fallen soldiers-belays.JPG
kf-fallen soldiers-belays.JPG [ 124.72 KIB | Viewed 542 times ]
kf-right hip harness mod.JPG
kf-right hip harness mod.JPG [ 118.76 KIB | Viewed 542 times ]
 Post subject: The LineCrawler has just gone PUBLIC ;-))
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:00 pm 
Rare Poster

Unbelievable, I never came across these links when looking for a safer way to launch/rig my kite at the lake. I must admit that desparate situations call for desparate measures, alas not all seem to be too useful.

I'm assuming you would like to see the instructional files for the LineCrawler???????

What'd you think, Tom, shall we keep this as a private thread and I post the files here or shall I open a new thread?

Have no fear you're down for one LineCrawler as soon as I get them. Please send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send it out as soons as they arrive (that's if you're still convinced after looking at the instructions :wink: ).

Cheers,

Robin.

[quote="kitezilla"]Hey KiteLobster,

Sign me up.....Test Crash Dummy is my middle name!!

If you want some evidence that I am in need of a professionally designed and manufactured "self-launch-belaying" device, check out these posts. I offer them as my "portfolio":

Here are 3 pictures illustrating the range and history of my career in experimentation with self-launching devices. I have rejected 95% of my ideas, as a result of shortcomings found, upon testing of the prototype device or idea. The third picture shows the final and only device I use now to perform 3 different types of self-launch (other than the giant “Pipe Launcherâ€Â

Post subject: Re: 100% KOOK-Proof connector idea
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:26 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I am reawakening this thread, in order to give some follow up on an idea that I presented on this thread over 3 years ago.

In short, the idea has worked very well. I have made only one minor modification to the removable chain link in order to make it easier to open and close. I added a little piece of pvc clear tubing, in order to give the fingers a better grip, when some sand has gotten into the threads... or after a cold session, when my fingers have lost strength, due to a touch of hypothermia, I guess.

Three years ago, a couple of the members showed concern about the likelihood of failure of the system, because of metal-on-metal wear or fatigue of the ring or the chain link. In three years, this has not occurred, and I have used the same bar on kites ranging from 5 meters to 20 meters, under all sorts of conditions, including about 400 days of kiting in a hypersaline bay. The water in this bay is extremely corrosive... but the stainless steel of the ring and link has held up well, and functions as well as when it was new. I consider all this a pretty good test of the durability of the system. I have only used the connectors on the REAR line of the kites, and it is common knowledge that the front lines are exposed to a lot more stress and strain than are the rear lines, so I can only recommend its use on a rear line. I have not tested the system on a front line, and do not see a reason to do so, since, I would always use a larkshead on the front lines.

I originally thought that tangling created by the link and ring, swinging like a pendulum, would be a problem, but was surprised when this did not occur to an extent any greater than the tangling due to the pulleys on the bridal lines.

One pleasant surprise, that I have noted, is that the WEIGHT of the connectors, actually is an advantage, under the common situation, where the kite crashes. The weight of the connector on the rear line tends to hold the rear kite line under water, and keeps it from blowing up and over the top of the kite, where the line can work its way over to the opposite wind tip, and then, when the kite is rotated, the lighter line may blow over that wing tip and into the water, creating a situation where the one rear line wraps completely around the other lines, making the kite hard to control, when it relaunches. The added weight is also an advantage, for the same reason, during a drift launch. I am considering adding a small weight to the opposite rear line, in hopes of creating the same situation on the unmodified, opposite rear line pig tail.

As is my promise, with any of my "tinkered up" projects, I will report back on any problems that may occur.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else, modified their connections, to use this or any other device?

Here are the before and after pictures, separated by 3 years:

Attachments:
kf-100% kook-proof connector.JPG
kf-100% kook-proof connector.JPG [ 124.38 KIB | Viewed 302 times ]
kf-100%-3 year report.JPG
kf-100%-3 year report.JPG [ 127.12 KIB | Viewed 302 times ]
 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4