Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Flats of Miami & The Magic Pole Boat!!!

Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

The Flats of Miami & The Magic Pole Boat!!!

Postby RickI » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:54 pm

Ty Luckett, Captain of the Pole Boat ripping it up in the huge swells of the Flats. Looking good!

"Go'in Down to Miami ..." or so the song goes. Nightlife, hot beaches and kiting, right? Well the later part has been a bit of a trial for some years due to millions of residents, few publicly accessible launches and long standing access battles. That is until now. Now you should be able to rip it up both in SoBe and on the water, enjoying the best of both worlds. How? Why on the Flats of Miami!

I was taken out there by Ty Luckett on his Magic Pole Boat to check things out and see his boat in action. When the wind is on in the flats, from ANY direction, life is good. There are other operations with licensed captains and well equipped kite boats starting to run sea taxi out there like The Kitehouse. Both operations follow students under power over the Flats allowing LONG downwinders in calm water. It is a great way to learn a lot quickly.

So, there's a new, old spot in Miami, one you would do well to checkout if you live in or are visiting the area. Continued at ...

CLICK FOR FULL SIZED IMAGES

CLICK FOR THUMBNAIL IMAGES

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:58 pm

I didn't realize it but the woman shown in the video clip from Ty's site is a particularly special person. She suffered a loss on an arm some years back. Not to be held down she has pursued a lot of activities the doctors said she would never be able to participate in again. She became interested in kiteboarding, tried a school but was unable to get into it. She met up with Ty Luckett of Hatteras Kiteboarding and with some design and tinkering on safety releases, time on the pole boat she has successfully been training to kite. WELL DONE Anitia and Ty! What a great example for what can be achieved if you commit to it and work hard.

Anitia's story follows from phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2333698
anitabills wrote:Hi Folks, So ar I am the only female one arm kiter, oh well. I am very new to this board as well as kiteboarding. This sport has been my dream ever since I move to Cape Hatteras, North Carolina 8 years ago. I have written to both one arm kiters yesterday and have been reading everyone's threads trying to learn what I need to implement to be able to succeed in my new challenge. As I had written the other two guys, my instructor and I both feel that I need to consider getting out should trouble be in the air, sort of speak. I had told Ty Luckett, my instructor when we first started back in the spring of this year, that I like what I have left of my body and I don't want to lose any more. :girl:
I have mastered the board and have tried body dragging but the challenge for me right now is the safety net, to get out should I ever have to. After seeing the web site on Christophe Ballois, his stump looks about as long as mine but due to some reconstruction on my stump the biceps muscle was split and wrapped around the bone so I could keep the amputation below the elbow. By doing this it took away from my stump the ability to hook like Christophe, so I am working with a new protheses, which in my 23 years of being a one hander person is a first for me. (you see you can do things without a hand better than someone without a leg). I have loved challenges and sports all my life and find this one just as exciting, especially after someone here on this island told me that there is NO WAY I will be able to kiteboard. Don't tell me I can't because I won't place limitations on myself.
Anyway I don't read or speak French so getting in touch with Christope would not work but I would love to hear what you have to say about getting out.
This is what we came up with http://www.oandp.com/products/trs/
A new protheses which was made for canoeing/kayaking called the hammerhead and I just got it last week, so I am going to try and fly my trainer kite on the beach to see if I can control and unhook with one hand...wahoo, I am so glad Ty told me about this site. To know that there are others out here just as crazy as I am to do the things we want to do. Life is good...
[/img]

jpkiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: NJ ( Lakes Bay, Brigantine, Tuckerton)
Favorite Beaches: Lakes Bay,NJ
Brigantine,NJ
Dock St. NJ
Florida Flats, Key West
Gear: Cabrinha kites, Epic kites, BRO-KITE POP 130X 40, HEIN custom boards, AXIS Vanguard+Nuskool, Kokotat drysuits
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jpkiter » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:56 pm

wow.. that water looks soooooo inviting!!

Here in S.Jersey , it's getting to be drysuit time

And Hello to AnitaB!! Another kitesistah has joined the clan !! :thumb:

I'm still raving to everyone about the lesson I took with Ty this past May on his boat using..."The Pole" Honestly, The only bad thing I can say about it is I wish I wasn't so stoked!!.. I couldnt think right !!

If I had my brains together I would have tried toe-side, handle passes...ha-ha....all in all, it was an excellent experience...

If you had to pick one..this is it!!

jp ( Jane)

anitabills
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby anitabills » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:15 pm

Hi JP, I understand what you felt, the brain does things like that. The whole experience to kiteboard has been a very positive one. That is due to Ty and his positive way in teaching. So by next spring I should be ready to fly like the rest of you. I'll be working on my skills flying the kite this winter out on the beach and Ty when he gets back from FL look out America there will be one more amputee enjoying life to the fullest...

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:30 pm

Have fun out there Anita!

Say, for the folks that have ridden the Flats of Miami when the wind is on, what did you think?

Some local guys have been going out there for years, others more recently. It is a huge area, it would be good to get the guys off the congested, conflicted shoreside launches and spread out in all that calm water largely free of windshadow and land effects throughout Biscayne Bay. So, how about it, how's the riding out there?

Return to “Kitesurfing”