Would you Surf in a Drysuit? Snowboard?

Forum for kitesurfers
teklife
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby teklife » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:38 pm

Tom183 wrote:I am aware of at least 1 fatality involving a rider wearing a drysuit - blown out to sea in sideshore winds that shifted side-off, near sunset during the cold season (November? Connecticut?)
yes, there was a fatality involving a guy wearing a drysuit, but there is no proof that his death was because of the drysuit. if he had been wearing a wetsuit and died, would he have died because of the wetsuit?

you got most of it right though, he got blown out to sea in sideshore winds that shifted offshore, near sunset, during the cold season. it was nearly dark when his kite went down, most of the search was done at night, nearly impossible to find anyone then.

he ditched his kite before he got too offshore, unfortunately, this was not enough. note, he was not wearing a pfd.

regardless, polypropylene and fleece keep warmth even wet, and there is no circulation inside the drysuit.

Satan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Satan » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:25 pm

To answer the original posters question, you can longboard in a traditional drysuit no problem. They were popular in the early 90's. Surfing on a shortboard in a traditional drysuit sucks. I can stay warm surfing for 3+ hours in a new 6/4 wetsuit in freezing water and sub-freezing air with moderate wind, but the new OR Surf drysuit looks like it may sweet.

For this FredBG guy. Come on you live in Malibu. You have no idea what's more survivable in harsh conditions. Try going out in 25 kts of wind, 30 degree F air temp, and 36 degree F sea temp in a wetsuit and you'll stop talking about how dagerous drysuits are. Dry suits are way way warmer then wetsuits. For they guy that mentioned Stoil, to say he died because of his drysuit, you have to remember, they say he survived the night. Pretty damn impressive. I'd much rather spend the night lost at sea in a drysuit. Warmer and more flotation. Suits can rip open during sessions. I've had a wetsuit completely open up after getting smacked by a wave while I was surfing. Unless you're a mile or more out to see and don't have a kite or surfboard to help you get back in, I don't think it's much of an issue.

Drysuits with plastic zippers SUCK!!! They're not worth the money you save.

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:09 pm

teklife wrote:yes, there was a fatality involving a guy wearing a drysuit, but there is no proof that his death was because of the drysuit. if he had been wearing a wetsuit and died, would he have died because of the wetsuit?

you got most of it right though, he got blown out to sea in sideshore winds that shifted offshore, near sunset, during the cold season. it was nearly dark when his kite went down, most of the search was done at night, nearly impossible to find anyone then.

he ditched his kite before he got too offshore, unfortunately, this was not enough. note, he was not wearing a pfd.

regardless, polypropylene and fleece keep warmth even wet, and there is no circulation inside the drysuit.
I never said that the fatality was CAUSED by the drysuit, I simply stated the facts: the drysuit wasn't enough protection, in that particular situation. I don't think a PFD would have helped much either, unless it had reflective tape or a strobe light...

For some reason drysuits are viewed by many riders as "magical armor" against the cold - the reality is that they have limits. My point is that whatever you're wearing for cold water, you have to take additional precautions because in a worst-case scenario, a drysuit won't do any better than a thick wetsuit.

klukkluk
Rare Poster

Postby klukkluk » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:49 pm

a drysuit won't do any better than a thick wetsuit.
I'm sorry but that is BS. A *good* drysuit will always do better than a thick wetsuit.

Return to “Kitesurfing”