All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Cabrinha Switchblade 2013 QR malfunction
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:15 am 
Rare Poster

Hi guys,

Recently I had a malfunction of the switchblade 2013 QR 1. After the activation, the whole set was left on one line (as expected). The problem was that the kite was still powered up and pulling me. What happened with the kite was quiet interesting though - it flipped on the other side completely so that I was not facing the struts any more and got a regular shape.
As I was pretty far away from the shore I didn't mind and let it pull me. On the beach there were many other kiters so one of them caught my kite so that I didn't have to disconnect completely.
Any ideas of what could have happened? I did a quick inspection (because I had to go back to rescue my board) but didn't see anything obvious.

Cheers.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Cabrinha Switchblade 2013 QR malfunction
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:19 pm 
Medium Poster

The ids kites didnt always release fully 100% despite the advertisement from cabrinha, single line is the way to go

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:17 pm 
Medium Poster

I assume it was fairly windy to invert the kite and drag you back in.
As stated already, the IDS can have some power in it after hitting QR1

You didn’t mention why you had to hit QR1 in the first place, did you have a problem or just to land it?

To get some confidence back in your release system you’ll need to hit it again a few times in the shallows and see if you can replicate the problem, or see how it could have occurred, maybe a tangle or something? Be sure the line travels through the outer black plastic sleeve ok. Have someone with you in case it happens during testing!

If you don’t like the idea of sticking with the IDS two front line release you could always upgrade to a 2014 or 2015 bar with single line flagging.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:11 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

i don't think it is the qr malfunction. qr did its job but the kite was inverted i understand. it happens with any kite sometimes, especially in the gusty conditions. hope that you don't invert your kite again any time soon :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:23 am 
Frequent Poster

Two line rollover bridals do not always work. You have to walk or swim towards kite to take tension off the lines for a moment, this should allow the kite to rollover on its back. If you are in the water you can also pull in center lines a few feet and then release.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:18 am 
Rare Poster

Yes, it was a gusty day, blowing between 25 - 40 knots. The kite was inverted but it didn't seem it was depowered at all. Only one wingtip was slightly touching the water and the rest of the kite was in the air - in the position as one would just keep the kite low.

The whole situation was the outcome of me aborting a jump in the very last moment when realizing that there was a windsurfer going right behind me. That resulted in me felling down and kite looping like crazy.

matth: you suggestion sounds sensible but it was pulling too hard to swim towards the kite.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:35 pm 
Frequent Poster

I have had several two line flag kites. I am not a fan, I think all 4 line kites should flag to one line , or fifth line like my Rebels. 100 sessions and zero problems with 5th line. Love Knowing that sucker can be brought down in a nano second.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:29 pm 
Medium Poster

i have seen several types of safety system go haywire. it doesn't matter if it's two line, one line, 5th line or whatever. in certain scenarios they all have problems. sometimes you got to let go.

Last edited by boardjockey on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:12 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

janeko wrote:
Yes, it was a gusty day, blowing between 25 - 40 knots. The kite was inverted but it didn't seem it was depowered at all. Only one wingtip was slightly touching the water and the rest of the kite was in the air - in the position as one would just keep the kite low.

The whole situation was the outcome of me aborting a jump in the very last moment when realizing that there was a windsurfer going right behind me. That resulted in me felling down and kite looping like crazy.

matth: you suggestion sounds sensible but it was pulling too hard to swim towards the kite.

Were your center lines twisted more then a few twists?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:44 pm 
Rare Poster

Can't tell right now, sorry. Do you suggest that the bar might have stopped on the knot created by a line twist?

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next