StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Dominican Republic - February

Postby StellaBlu » Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:33 pm

Im going to be in the Dominican Republic (Las Terrenas) in late Feb. Looks to be very early for the wind season, but I'm curious to hear from others whether it might still be worth bringing some gear? For what its worth, I will be winging and although that isn't really the purpose of the trip, I'll lose my mind if its windy and I can't get onto the water!

The WindGuru data is weird. The avg wind speeds seem really light 7-10 knots, but the gusts seem oddly high (20 or so). Maybe its just a really gusty spot?

The reason I'm asking this early is because I need to book flights and some of the carriers (JetBlue) won't allow me to bring kite gear, so I'm choosing my airline accordingly.

Thanks!

PusherII
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ostia beach
Favorite Beaches: El Portillo, Las Terranas
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Core XR5

Re: Dominican Republic - February

Postby PusherII » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:19 pm

February Is a bad month even in cabarete
Las Terrenas is defenetely a bad destination on february.

Even if you Say i go for foil...too many reef to pay attenction

Ero7
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Ero7 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:28 am

Been to Cabarete a couple of times in Feb - both times it was an awesome package of wind and waves.
Feb/March is considered wave season in Cabarete.

But keep in mind, Cabarete is special… ventury effect in the mountains nearby => MUCH better afternoon winds, comparing to all other DR spots. Never been to Las Terrenas, cannot comment on that location.

So, I’d say, always bring gear if you can, hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:44 pm

It's hit or miss I have been there in February one year we got good wind every day for a week. The year after there was a big storm in the Atlantic messing up the wind and we got no wind at all. Most airlines have a cancellation insurance you can cancel for an extra fee for any reasons. I always get that now and if there's no wind I cancel and go later or go to another destination.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:01 pm

my experience is that March is pretty good, February not. Yes, Cabarete gets more wind.
At least one spot is very reefy...they are everywhere. But I guess there are spots with deeper water too?

Maybe just rent for the days with wind, since there should a a school ? Pura Vida might still be thee...check online.

Plus you might meet our Godfather...Bruno Leganoux...the inventor of the LE Kites !

yademokitu
Rare Poster
Weight: 73kg
Local Beach: Camber Sands
Favorite Beaches: Mikri Vigla, Greece
Tatajuba, Brazil
Beauduc, France
Style: Freeride
Gear: Jaime SLS
Duotone Evo 7,9, 12 sls
Trust and click bar
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby yademokitu » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:00 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:44 pm
It's hit or miss I have been there in February one year we got good wind every day for a week. The year after there was a big storm in the Atlantic messing up the wind and we got no wind at all. Most airlines have a cancellation insurance you can cancel for an extra fee for any reasons. I always get that now and if there's no wind I cancel and go later or go to another destination.
What cancellation insurance is that ? I never heard you could cancel for any reasons, or you mean if you pay 3x the normal airline fare?

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:27 pm

yademokitu wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:00 pm
Windigo1 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:44 pm
What cancellation insurance is that ? I never heard you could cancel for any reasons, or you mean if you pay 3x the normal airline fare?
I live in Canada if you buy a package here you can pay 50$ or 100$ and you're allowed to cancel for any reasons. Here's the one from Sunwing https://www.sunwing.ca/en/be-worry-free an Air Transat https://www.transat.com/en-CA/book/option-flex

I don't know if other countries and other airlines have that where you live!
Last edited by Windigo1 on Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:41 pm

I have to say, after 40 years of participating in windsports, that people's conclusions abut wind based on a few personal experiences are largely meaningless. I have been many times to Cabarete over the years and have had good wind conditions overall. Although there are "local factors" that influence the wind reliability - ie Cabarete is windier than Las Terrenas, Buen Hombre is windier than Cabarete - a large part of the wind conditions seem to be based on the macro situation governing the trade winds over a larger area.

So... I have been in Cabarete since Dec 6th this trip. We first had two weeks of pretty consistent wind (although mixed with a lot of rain), followed by two weeks of almost no wind at all. This has now been followed by two weeks of solid wind every single day, which looks to be continuing for another week. It is nearly always windier than the forecast. The same pattern seems to have affected most of the Caribbean over the past 6 weeks.

If you're going anywhere for two weeks - let alone one week - there's always a chance you will get skunked ... or you will have great conditions. :-?

Return to “Kitesurfing”