Postby Kataku2k3 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:15 am

I'm still waiting to order my Pyro Surf!!! :thumb:

WILCO
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby WILCO » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:33 am

dwarf wrote:If you unhook a lot you should consider taking the Ocean rodeo pyro pro. These have extra stretch at the armpits which is definitely nice for unhooking. I went head-down a few times while doing f16's with my drysuit and was amazed every time that no water came in.
Is the stretch really helping that much that i can't for instance pull (or not properly) an unhooked kiteloop on the "lite" model ?

In other words does the lite (and classic) model constrain your movements that much by using the horizontal zipper in the back and not using flex armpit panels?

i assume the water proofness will be the same on the suits....
The inner bladder is made with a highly flexible polyurethane bladder. This bladder does not allow for much “breathingâ€ÂÂ

gipseysurfer
Frequent Poster

Postby gipseysurfer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:04 am

i currently have the ocean rode dry which i purchased in 2003.
the latex seals on the ankle started taking in water after a year.
one of my biggest complaints is that the undergarment ends up riding up the lower leg.
water gets in on the neck and the back zipper is so stiff you have almost no range of motion to do rolls or for that matter any wake style moves.
i'll need some convincing to spring the extra few hundred bucks for the ocean rodeo surf, when bare offers something similar for half the price.
as nice as all the themal layers sound there aint nothing like the warmth and comfort u experience when peeing in your neoprene drysuit leggings.

barry

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:59 am

I have been using the Ocean Rodeo Pyro drysuit for three years now.

Yes water sometimes leaks in a bit around the seals but is never a problem.

If your undergarment rides up inside the drysuit, get an undergarment that has elastic at the arms and legs. I never have a problem since I did that. I use fleece (polyester) long underwear (polar fleece).

Mobility is excellent and the zipper is not an issue. I find it easier to do tricks like board grabs than in a wetsuit.

Swimming through the water noticeably slower than with a wetsuit. This is not much of an issue for kiteboarders but it might be for other water sports.

I have just switched to the pyro pro model to have the convenience of the front zipper. It is nice but not necessary if you are on a budget. The cheaper models work fine. Around here (Canada in January) more than half the kiters use Ocean Rodeo drysuits.

:wink:
Chris Glazier
Last edited by cglazier on Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dionisis
Medium Poster

Postby Dionisis » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:31 am

Have anyvbody tried both kinds of suits to tell us what are the cons of each one? I mean the drysuit vs the wetsuit?

Evanor do you know if there is a shop here in Greece so i can check those suits?

Thanks.

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:01 pm

Dionisis,

Please contact:

Merman Boardsports Shack
Episkopiana
Corfu
49084, Greece
Phone: (+30) 26610 76946
Web: http://www.mermanwindsurf.com
Email: tim@mermanwindsurf.com

I am not sure what he currently has in stock, as I personally only deal with US accounts, but I am sure Tim will help you out.

You can find our worldwide dealers here:

http://www.oceanrodeo.com/dealer.php

To clarify, the Pyro surf is a drysuit, not a wetsuit. It fits close like a wetsuit, but without the weight and thick neoprene to restrict your mobility, and with a vastly greater temperature range.

Cheers, Evan

Ocean Rodeo

Be Careful, A Similar Planet Is Hard To Find.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:56 pm

WILCO wrote:
dwarf wrote:If you unhook a lot you should consider taking the Ocean rodeo pyro pro. These have extra stretch at the armpits which is definitely nice for unhooking. I went head-down a few times while doing f16's with my drysuit and was amazed every time that no water came in.
Is the stretch really helping that much that i can't for instance pull (or not properly) an unhooked kiteloop on the "lite" model ?

In other words does the lite (and classic) model constrain your movements that much by using the horizontal zipper in the back and not using flex armpit panels?

i assume the water proofness will be the same on the suits....
Nice question Wilco. Yes the suits will all be equally water proof. (Which means that if you have an experience like Gypsiesurfer did I recommend you contact us immediatly as we stand proudly behind each product we sell).

Regarding the range of motion question, it is difficult for me to avoid generalizations here. Generally speaking the Pro is going to give you 2 major advantages; 1) the addition of the front zip makes donning and doffing the suit much easier and, 2) the addition of the flex pannels at the arm pits. Now, the Lite is designed to accomodate movement by being slightly more baggy and does have flex pannels at the waist. The Classic does not feature the arm pit flex pannels but it is otherwise very similar to the Pro and as such is quite accomodating. So, in summary if you are on a budget I would say the Lite is a good choice but be certain that you are not an overly heavy set guy across your shoulders as this will take away some of that expansive space of the suit.

Now, I should probably mention the Pyro Surf here for a second as well. This is our most flexible suit ever. It is incredibly comfortable and it also features the front zip. The only issue that I can comfortably cite with regards to its use as a Kiteboarding drysuit is the limitations of what you wear under the suit. Just like putting on a shoe with your sock scruntched up around the toes this suit will feel uncomfortable and frustrating if the thermal layer you wear under it is not very slim fitting. Further, if you wear baggier under layers you could find they bind you up and prevent mobility. A very nice feature of our baggier drysuit line is the ability to wear what you wish under them.
WILCO wrote:
The inner bladder is made with a highly flexible polyurethane bladder. This bladder does not allow for much breathing by the suit as we have found breathable membranes break down far too quickly for effective use in a drysuit.
Why do you use a breathing panel in the pro suit if it degenerates over time?
Another good question! The breathable pannels that we use on the Pyro Pro are limited to the neck, arm pits and waist and are all shielded by Airprene Neoprene. We found that the membrane breaks down the fastest when exposed to high pressure water and direct exposure. Shieding the breathable pannels with Airprene protects them and extends their life. Further, we have used a much more durable membrane which trades off some breathability for durability. As such the Pyro Pro does offer a breathable fabric but its breathability is somewhat limited to avoid future complications with break down and as such we continue to recommend wearing polypropelene long johns under all of our suits.
WILCO wrote:In other words isn't the surf the best suit for radical freestyle if you don't consider the "difficult" donning and maybe (?) the reduced durability of the skin material (does it damage more easily than the classic/lite/pro suits? when using for heavy duty kiting?) ?

cheers!
I suppose, yes, the Pyro Surf suit is certainly our most flexible and insanely mobile suit we have ever offered. The high quality Lycra outer skin has been specifically selected to avoid "pilling" and snags but it is less likely to be as overly durable as the 400 denier over laid knee and bum pads that we have on the Pyro Pro and Classic.

I might mention as well that the donning and doffing of the new Pyro Surf is very simple and a lot faster than a wetsuit. Simply flip the suit inside out, slide the ankles on and roll it up your body. Take it off in the reverse order!

Any other questions or comments? Post em here! I am happy to continue answering questions you may have regarding this exciting new product!

John Z - OR Sales

zeppelin
Medium Poster

Postby zeppelin » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:38 pm

I have an very good offer from local shop for Mystic drysuit. Has anyone used it?

Dionisis
Medium Poster

Postby Dionisis » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:16 pm

EvanOR wrote:Dionisis,

Please contact:

Merman Boardsports Shack
Episkopiana
Corfu
49084, Greece
Phone: (+30) 26610 76946
Web: http://www.mermanwindsurf.com
Email: tim@mermanwindsurf.com

I am not sure what he currently has in stock, as I personally only deal with US accounts, but I am sure Tim will help you out.

You can find our worldwide dealers here:

http://www.oceanrodeo.com/dealer.php

To clarify, the Pyro surf is a drysuit, not a wetsuit. It fits close like a wetsuit, but without the weight and thick neoprene to restrict your mobility, and with a vastly greater temperature range.

Cheers, Evan

Ocean Rodeo

Be Careful, A Similar Planet Is Hard To Find.
Thanks man for the info. Unfortunately this far a way from athens (capital city of Greece) where i live and i have to take a boat to go there... But i will call him, maybe he is cooperating with some shops here in Athens.

cram
Medium Poster

Postby cram » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:04 am

My 2 cents. I have used a Pyro classic for 4 years. I would never go back to a wetsuit in the winter(Canadian Winter, West Coast). During the summer I prefer a wetsuit, however, you will find it hard to beat the Pyro for mobillity and warmth. After 4 years it is still fine.

Return to “Kitesurfing”