All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

ORSales wrote:
I suppose, yes, the Pyro Surf suit is certainly our most flexible and insanely mobile suit we have ever offered. The high quality Lycra outer skin has been specifically selected to avoid "pilling" and snags but it is less likely to be as overly durable as the 400 denier over laid knee and bum pads that we have on the Pyro Pro and Classic.

I might mention as well that the donning and doffing of the new Pyro Surf is very simple and a lot faster than a wetsuit. Simply flip the suit inside out, slide the ankles on and roll it up your body. Take it off in the reverse order!

Any other questions or comments? Post em here! I am happy to continue answering questions you may have regarding this exciting new product!

John Z - OR Sales

Thanks for the great feedback John! Finally have some time to get some more questions from my chest.

I'm leaning towards the surf suit, especially for the flexibility. The donning and doffing isn't that much of an issue to me, as i was planning to use technical garments anyway... One thing i've heard from the "loose" cut pyro's suits users, was that when they were wearing a tight thermolayer only they would "feel" the cold water pressed against their bodies and this was better when they added an looser fleece sweater over the thermo underwear.
How's this with the surf suit? Because one can only use tight thermal layer's, do you really feel the cold water, or is it just a matter of picking the right tight skin thermal layer that's thick enough to avoid this?
An other thing that crossed my mind was the ability to underlayer it with enough garments, you have to keep the thermal layer tight, so is there enough margin to really get a very warm insulation for the very coldest conditions? (the fotoshoot in the snow already gives a hint, but still...) Can you for example make it as warm as a loose pyro insulated for very cold winter conditions? I saw something about 3-4mm for the full body skin and 6mm with the shorty worn over it, is it possible and doable to use for example an other full body suit over the base suit, or just a thicker tight skin base body suit, to get warmth for around zero degrees celsius conditions?

An other question about the durability, is it possible to use a waist harness over the lycra layer will it stand the abrassion of it slipping and sliding (neoprene interior, not rubber)? Do you use a 70 denier nylon skin (as whites...) with the lycra over it as protection? (and to compress the skin offcourse) i guess it will be strong enough, as your "normal" suits use 200 as a single skin and that's bomber, the 400 sections are nice, but i think the surf will stand the "abuse" taking in mind kitin' takes place on water, and one shouldn't slide over shelves with a neoprene suit as well...

-Btw have a question about the sizing too, pm'ed/mailed you about that..

cheers!

Post subject: drysuit/wetsuit
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:23 pm 
Frequent Poster

just having my say here

got a pyro drysuit about 2 years ago and it has been great for me. theres no question about OR drysuits they are the industry leaders. i like being dry as i dont like the cold (ex military will know wot i mean), they can be difficult to bodydrag in though, but from what i've seen the new suit should sort this out.

the important thing with any drysuit is what you wear underneath. i go for an all-in-one thermal fleece, the type worn by most UK divers in summer conditions i think. this does me all year round, go for a slightly smaller size than you need, then the ankle and wrist seals do not get caught up. make sure nothing is snagged before you zip up and you will sty dry. i have had some serious rinsings with these suits and very little gets through. oh and dont wear clothing beneath the fleece it makes it less efficient - fleece keeps the skin warm thats how it works, same as the old buffalo clothing :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:01 pm 
Frequent Poster

Wilco, Thanks for the questions! I have tried to answer all below!

WILCO wrote:
One thing i've heard from the "loose" cut pyro's suits users, was that when they were wearing a tight thermolayer only they would "feel" the cold water pressed against their bodies and this was better when they added an looser fleece sweater over the thermo underwear. How's this with the surf suit?

This is a very good question. Yes, you will feel the cold water pressing against your skin and for a lack of a better word it will feel "clammy". This is solved, as you guessed, by properly layering up for the weather and water conditions. We will be releasing in April (Had wanted it sooner but did not want to rush it to market) a thermal layer system that features a single piece long john with a back zipper (for comfort when paddling) and a shorty over layer. You can choose to wear these together for maximum warmth, just the long johns for good warmth or just the shorty with poly pro long underwear for a warm day but cold water.

Specifically I will tell you this. The thermal layer has been tested on our coastline in the middle of December as it snowed. The water temperature rarely rises above 4 or 5 degrees celcius here (even in summer) and the air temperature was clearly below zero. The rider was toasty warm and happy!

If you are planning on using your own thermal layer, say from your snowboard gear, here are some tips:

1) Layer up first with a thin poly pro long john to pull the sweat away from your body
2) Your next layer is your warmth layer and, if possible, should be a one piece. This is to prevent your lower back and belly getting cold from the separation that will occure between a top and a bottom.
3) These layers can be "loose fit" if you like. You will want to make sure that a) they are not so loose as to bind up and hamper your movements and b) that you follow the provided instructions with the suit as to how to put the suit on if you are wearing loose fitting under layers (to prevent the legs and arms from being pulled up as you don the suit).

Realistically a good base layer will keep you very warm, you do not need to dress like the michilin man...remember, you are working while on the water and this will generate heat too!

WILCO wrote:
Another question about the durability, is it possible to use a waist harness over the lycra layer will it stand the abrassion of it slipping and sliding?

This lycra outer layer ain't like your wife's yoga outfit!! This material is an incredibly high grade lycra specifically selected for its ability to avoid snags and pilling and to stand up to the abuse you will dish out. We have had a number of versions of the suit in testing for quite a while. One of the origional versions of this suit is now close to 2 years old and the lycra is fine. It has been used for kiteboarding and surfing and is no worse for wear.

What is more, the suit is built to be easily serviced. You will be able to patch any knicks or tears in the inner bladder and the outer lycra skin is replaceable. As such we plan to release different colours of the skin for purchase and also to have extra skins for warranty and repair concerns.

WILCO wrote:
Btw have a question about the sizing too, pm'ed/mailed you about that..

Sizing of this suit is very easy! 75% of people will be the L/XL size as this suit stretches to accomodate their size. Another 20% will be the S/M size with roughly 2.5% on each of the XXS/XS size and the XXL/XXXL size.

Thanks for all your interest in the suit, please continue to post questions here if you have anymore! Also, expect to start to see independent reviews coming up here and on our website shortly as shops receive their sample orders. We plan to start shipping these first 200 suits world wide for expected delivery around Feburary 15th.

John Z - OR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:26 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hey John good to see you back in this thread... And thanks for giving such a thorough walk trough of the suit... You checked your personal message box here on kiteforum.com yet? I send you a question about the conversion you guy's did from inches to cm's which seems to be off a bit on the inseam sizes which causes some confusion.... maybe you could look into that?

Finally it just sounds to good to be true! Can't wait to finally be able to test a suit, just send me one! please...! :P :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:56 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Bump! :thumb: (john check your message box, for the question regarding the sizing please)

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4