Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Eletric Kite Inflation

Postby edt » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:58 am

robertovillate wrote: Someone suggested it takes 50 pump strokes to inflate a big kite...Not sure what kind of pump he's using but I would say more like 100+ strokes to get proper pressure in a 12m or larger kite.
not 50 pumps on a large kite to get to 8psi, 50 pumps to to "loosely inflate" i.e. you are pumping your kite up to 1 bar = 1 atmosphere or 14.5 psi or 0 psi relative to local air pressure. The kite when loosely inflated will not hold its shape at all but it will have air in it.

Then to get to 8psi, you want to pump 8/14.5 times however much it took to loosely inflate, or 28 more pumps more for 78 pumps to get to 8psi, it's a convenient way to calculate air pressure of your kite without a gauge. If you kite is in fact loosely inflated at 50 pumps and you pump it 100 times you are putting in a pressure of 14.5 psi. That is an extremely hard kite.

Most kite manufacturers ship terrible pumps with bad leaky valves or pumps that only last a week or two before they start leaking. I've had great luck with this $11 pump from walmart the "air head" pump, best hand pump I've ever had.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:57 am

edt wrote:
robertovillate wrote: Someone suggested it takes 50 pump strokes to inflate a big kite...Not sure what kind of pump he's using but I would say more like 100+ strokes to get proper pressure in a 12m or larger kite.
Then to get to 8psi, you want to pump 8/14.5 times however much it took to loosely inflate, or 28 more pumps more for 78 pumps to get to 8psi, it's a convenient way to calculate air pressure of your kite without a gauge. If you kite is in fact loosely inflated at 50 pumps and you pump it 100 times you are putting in a pressure of 14.5 psi. That is an extremely hard kite.
Maybe in a perfect world you could calculate pressure this way, but temperature differences, pump size, full or incomplete strokes, etc. would make this impossible to rely on. In the end you need to be able to ping the kite/feel the kite with your hand to know if it's hard enough.

In the old days we were afraid of over-inflating and exploding the leading edge, but these days the kites can handle 8psi easily. :pump:

Otherwise I seriously doubt anyone weighing under 250 lbs could ever pump a kite to 14psi without completely exhausting themselves (and unnecessarily). I would say at 8 psi it is quite a struggle for most people. I see a lot of underinflated kites in the air...and kites fly like shit when even slightly soft. (unless it's a foil :wink: )

windmlv
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Gordon's beach, LaVentana, Baja
Gear: Slingshot Hypermiler 4'8", Moses 633, Naish Slash 7m

Postby windmlv » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:24 am

Anyone familiar with the "Island Inflator Pumps" from BoatsToGo.com ?
Just wondering about reliability. They are a bit cheaper than the Bravo BST pumps.
Thanks.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:43 am

robertovillate wrote:kites fly like shit when even slightly soft. (unless it's a foil :wink: )
In which case they always fly like shit. (sorry - couldn't resist).

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:34 am

pumping is my warm up before I kite.

its good for you. unless you have a back condition that prevents you from being physically able to pump your kite, quit bitching. its good for you, kiting isn't for lazy people anyway.

having a good pump makes all the difference too. if your pump seals leak then you will have to pump an unnecessary amount.

I've had the best results with the cheapo $9.88 Coleman pumps you find at walmart.

I think the plastic shaft is smoother and doesn't require grease like the aluminum shafts. My thought is the smooth plastic doesn't wear on the rubber bushings as quickly as the aluminum shafts do. If you are in a sandy environment this effect is even more apparent by the lack of sticky lubricant that you would find on an aluminum shaft pump. the sticky grease seems to attract sand like a magnet. as some of you have probably found as well. once sand gets in your pump, its days are numbered.

they might even be easier to recycle considering there is no metal parts.

I think its kinda funny that the cheapo walmart option seems like the green and low cost option. cant say that everyday :lol:

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:03 am

Edited: I completely misread the above.
Last edited by spork on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:53 am

So that'd be a big plus one for the Foil Win huh? :lol:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:57 am

you don't need an electrical pump for smaller kites. A 16 is a different story, specially when you are in warm areas of the world. Laying out lines already makes me sweat!
But in colder areas like Germany I pump my kite manually, a really good warm up before going out.

Kevin123
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kevin123 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:45 pm

Spork I agreed with your pre-edited post.

C Johnson how is pumping your kite good for you? Not sure what school of ergonomics you went to. Lumbago (nonspecific low back pain) is a big f'n deal. Anything that preserves my energy/strength/low back for actual kitesurfing I'm all for.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:53 pm

I was told by a PHD physical therapist / kiteboarder who has written her own kiteboarding fitness book that it is a great way to warm up. (e.g. gets the blood flowing, stretches your back, etc). What are your credentials to say it's not healthy?

If you are going to live your life according to an ergonomics manual you probably shouldn't kiteboard at all. Pumping a kite isn't a day in day out 8hr a day job like sitting in a desk chair or typing on a keyboard or lifting boxes. its something you do for a couple minutes once or maybe twice per session. I find it hard to believe the amount of exposure would constitute an ergonomics issue. if you are that concerned about it I would highly recommend stretching and doing a prewarm up before you pump your kite.

I think it is important to try and exercise good posture when pumping your kite. its easy to slouch, throw your back into it etc. I'm no expert but it seems like if you bend at the hips and keep your back as straight as possible, maybe even put your arms into the pumping motion more then your back. again if you have a back injury that prevents you from pumping then so be it. I personally think its a great way to warm up but then again I ride almost 99% of the time in cold water.

I can understand how pumping a 16m+ kite in 90degree weather could be brutal though. good call Toby.

Return to “Kitesurfing”