Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Gordon's beach, LaVentana, Baja
Gear: Slingshot Hypermiler 4'8", Moses 633, Naish Slash 7m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Eletric Kite Inflation

Postby windmlv » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:12 am

Just bought the "boatstogo" electric pump in Canada (Vancouver). Picking it up next week.
Will let you all know how it works out.
You can also find it on the net by searching for "Island Inflator pump".
Seems most of websites that come up are in Australia but I found one in Canada.
m

Marty
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Marty » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:25 am

spork wrote:My comment was directed at the Briskites LeafBlower(tm) kitepump. But the boatstogo kitepump does look quite nice also.

As it happens, I've repaired and modified probably a few dozen of the Scoprega pumps. I'd love to see either company offer a pump without the automated stuff. Just a toggle switch for off-low-high pressure, and a pressure gauge. I'd also love to have a source of repair parts.
My bad, I thought it was the original video from boatstogo, until I watched Briskites,,, HA, HA,,,

My problem with the pumps is always the gears, not the electronics.
I just replaced a broken gear shaft on the high pressure side, gear.
From a old spare one I kept around.

They are great to use in the snow, and at 10,000 feet.
The hand pumps seem to never have much pressure, per stroke at that elevaton.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:29 am

spork wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:... I think dry air is irrelevant in this discussion. Or rather, moist air is relevant ...
Nonsense. If you're going to compare air with Nitrogen, compare both dry. You're not going to compress and dry your own Nitrogen - are you? So compare air from a dive shop with Nitrogen from a welding shop. I'll bet the air will be cheaper ($3 - $7 for a 3000 psi fill of a full tank), and work every bit as well as the Nitrogen.

The point was that Nitrogen had all these magical properties. It doesn't.
Ultimately, I don't care about magical properties or cost or whether it's dry, damp or flavoured with bullshit ... I'd be using my own compressor to compress REGULAR OL' air so ...
Kamikuza wrote:What I want to know is - will filling up a kite's delicate bladder with a shot of compressed REGULAR OL' air be harmful in anyway?

SBBeachbum
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SBBeachbum » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:37 am

Kamikuza wrote:
SBBeachbum wrote:(Ever watched a burnout at a drag race?)
You mean how the tyres deform due to inertia? Derp.

I'm not looking to reignite the shit-storm but ...
spork wrote:Let's compare apples and apples. How do you think dry air compares with dry Nitrogen for pressure stability?
... I think dry air is irrelevant in this discussion. Or rather, moist air is relevant ...

For a DIY inflation system using a bottle of compressed gas, a reasonable assumption would be that it would be filled up from a common-or-garden compressor and would be full of ... regular air, water vapour and all.

What I want to know is - will filling up a kite's delicate bladder with a shot of compressed air be harmful in anyway?

I've seen guys fill kites with a compressor at shops etc so SURELY the answer is yes ...?
Please do not start designing nuclear plants.

SBBeachbum
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SBBeachbum » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:45 am

edt wrote: not all gases obey boyle's law for instance, no2 nitrogen dioxide does NOT obey boyles law what happens is that there is a complicated process where some of the no2 becomes n2o4 so that the pressure remains constant.
NO2 is also not part of regular air and therefore irrelevant for this discussion. (Unless we are talking heavy smog which does contain trace amounts of dinitroustetroxide)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:31 am

SBBeachbum wrote:Please do not start designing nuclear plants.
So that's another "I have no idea" then. Thanks for your input :lol:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:54 am

Lets go all silly. How about inflating your kite with helium??? lets forget that helium is as expesive as hell and consider the performance advantage. the lighter your kite is the better it performs. therefore a helium pumped kite should have awesome performance.

I wonder if it would float in the air unassisted by the wind?

ps you shouldn't have a problem inflating a kite with a compressor as long as the velocity is not too high and you have regulation or relief valve set a 9psig. Over inflation will lead to a big bang. Velocity too fast at the fill point could cause dammage to the bladder. if you used a standard kite pump hose then the velocity would be fine by the time you get to the kite. if you use a small oriface air gun then the velocity could be high enough to cause dammage.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:29 am

plummet wrote:you shouldn't have a problem inflating a kite with a compressor as long as the velocity is not too high and you have regulation or relief valve set a 9psig
Given that the Scoprega pump IS a compressor, and that's the only thing I've used for about the last 7 years, I'd say you're right.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:47 am

plummet wrote:Velocity too fast at the fill point could cause damage to the bladder. if you used a standard kite pump hose then the velocity would be fine by the time you get to the kite. if you use a small oriface air gun then the velocity could be high enough to cause dammage.
... that's what I figured, plummet, just wanted to know for sure :thumb: I'm sure it's something I'll never get around to anyway and will just keep using pumps :lol:

The compressor runs 80psi - what do the electric pumps erm pump at?

Vinny
Medium Poster

Postby Vinny » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:59 am

If you are too lazy to punp a kite manually you really need to question whether kiting is the right sport for you. Maybe darts or snooker or scuba diving would be better pastimes to pursue.

Return to “Kitesurfing”