Eletric Kite Inflation

Forum for kitesurfers
spork
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Eletric Kite Inflation

Postby spork » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:26 am

robertovillate wrote:Air is actually about 79% nitrogen
Wow - how silly was I to say "about 80%" as a round number. But if you want to really be pedantic - no - it's about 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen, and 1% other stuff.
...High % nitrogen gas will be more stable than "air" because of the absence of vapor.
You know what else has an absence of vapor - dried air - like they put in SCUBA tanks. More "stable". How do you mean? Emotionally? Less pressure change? I don't think you'll find any significant difference between Nitrogen vs dried Air w.r.t. pressure change.
the Scoprega pump seems to be perfectly sufficient for inflating a few kites every day. If you are inflating over 10 kites/day a compressor would be nice though
Again, if we're going to get pedantic, the Scoprega pump IS an air compressor (even if we're not going to get pedantic).

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:18 am

Who pissed in your cornflakes, spork? :lol:

By compressed air I meant just pumping in the air from the outside, such as you'd get at a gas station air pump - I don't know what you put in scuba tanks ;)
Ok so my wording wasn't exact but you got the general idea - it's more stable than regular air we-without-scuba-tanks breath.

How much benefit is it going to be in a kite though? I still don't know, nor do I care. Enjoy arguing with that other guy, I'm going to go annoy PMU some more :thumb:

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:48 am

The past five pages sure make pumping sound like a pain.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby C Johnson » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:10 am

C Johnson wrote:unless you have a back condition that prevents you from being physically able to pump your kite, quit bitching.
[/quote]

C Johnson wrote:again if you have a back injury that prevents you from pumping then so be it. I personally think its a great way to warm up but then again I ride almost 99% of the time in cold water.
Spork.

Let me say it 3rd time. I'll dumb it down for you... If YOUR back hurts when you pump a kite. Don't pump kites. WOW? did I just agree with what you were saying? OMG?! But wait, Isn't that what I was saying all along?! So why was it you felt the need to get all butt hurt and throw insults my direction?

I still stand by my original opinion. I'm not sure what you really added to the thread other then a bunch of complaining and emotion driven attempts to start arguments. Maybe that's what you were going for though. I think I saw you say something about living for online arguments. If that's the case can I recommend getting a new hobby? You wont make many friends with this one.

Best of luck with your bad back.

juaorpo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Spain
Favorite Beaches: Bimini
Style: Freeride

Postby juaorpo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:06 pm

Personally I use a very simple solution. Go to these kind of sport megastores. There thre is little pumps (mainly based on fans) with batter included and both chargers to the wall and car power supply.

They weight lest than 500gr, charge in 5 hours, size like 15x15x15cm aprox. Very transportable, very cheap (12€-24€). They are though to pump the camping matresses.

The only drawback, it will only fill the kite with air, but not going to reach several PSI. So first connect the inflator, secure the kite and care about your neoprene, lines, warmup, or just see how it inflates itself. Once is filled, make a few manual pumps with your standard pump to reach the PSI required by your kite.

My 12m requires between 5 and 10 pumps after the electric pump work. Cheap, simple, transportable, no risk of overpumping, you can always warm up during the process if you want.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:09 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Who pissed in your cornflakes, spork?
No one. When you correct someone you're supposed to get it right. You simply got it all wrong. When I corrected YOU, you come back with this stupid comment about pissing in corn flakes. So I guess I should ask, who pissed in YOUR corn flakes?
By compressed air I meant just pumping in the air from the outside, such as you'd get at a gas station air pump
Good for you. But then it's pretty much total nonsense to say "compressed air contains water vapor and Nitrogen doesn't" if you mean to say the "compressed air which happens to contain water vapor contains water vapor. For f***'s sake, I'm not the one that suggested the completely silly idea of putting nitrogen in a kite. Were you planning on going to the gas station and getting compressed Nitrogen?
Ok so my wording wasn't exact but you got the general idea
Yes, I got the general idea that you were wrong. Even if you want to go with your new assumption that "wet air is wet", it's ridiculous to claim that Nitrogen doesn't expand with temperature.
it's more stable than regular air we-without-scuba-tanks breath.
I don't know what you mean by "stable", and I'm pretty sure you don't either. I can tell you that neither is going to spontaneously combust. Is that what you mean?

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:12 pm

C Johnson wrote:Let me say it 3rd time. I'll dumb it down for you...
No need to dumb it down for me - just try not to say shit that's wrong. Are you sticking with your claim that your friend knows everything there is to know about backs because she wrote the book - but people shouldn't believe what they read in books!?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:14 pm

Who was correcting? I was (initially) adding information from a point of view ... and I'm not setting my bowl down cos I see you there with your hand on your fly :allbegood: Enjoy your scrapping!

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Is this the sort of "information" you were "adding"?
Kamikuza wrote: 100% N is dry, doesn't have the water vapour so doesn't change volume
Enjoy your scrapping!
Enjoy getting shit wrong and then getting pissy about it when it's pointed out.
Enjoy arguing with that other guy, I'm going to go annoy PMU some more
And yet you insist on staying here and "scrapping" with me, because you can't accept that you're simply getting things wrong.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:58 pm

spork wrote:
the Scoprega pump seems to be perfectly sufficient for inflating a few kites every day. If you are inflating over 10 kites/day a compressor would be nice though
Again, if we're going to get pedantic, the Scoprega pump IS an air compressor (even if we're not going to get pedantic).
OK, I am not an expert on the subject, and perhaps there are many types of "compressors" but for the purpose of my comments I would define a compressor (for this discussion) as a device that has a high pressure pump (usually piston) and storage tank that would allow for access to large volumes of air at the desired psi quickly.

I think that the vapor condenses into water in the storage tank and that's why sometimes you see some moisture exiting the nozzle when you use this type of system - unless it has a dryer/moisture trap. There are compressors without storage tanks but they might be a bit slow at inflation if they are only piston driven.

When considering the choice between a "compressor" (or scuba tanks) and the Scoprega pump portability, weight, and simplicity were the major factors. The Scoprega is small enough and light enough that I don't mind carrying it a few hundred yards to my set-up spot...and it recharges fairly quickly before the next session just by driving a few miles in the van.

The Scoprega has a 2-stage pump - a fan for inflation of a few psi and then automatically switches to pump for higher psi. And again, for the purpose of inflating kites I think this is a pretty good solution if you want to avoid the back strain. Other than inflating other things like small rafts, small inflatable boats, inflatable racing marks...not sure if the Scoprega has many other useful purposes.

(ps: I do not sell Scoprega products. At first I was disappointed with the problems with the fan material failures, but the company has stepped up and corrected the product and now I'm happy with it. I think the original objective of this thread was to get info/feedback on various systems as an option to a hand pump and what people's experience was 8) )

Return to “Kitesurfing”