All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Eletric Kite Inflation
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:08 pm 
Rare Poster

I messed about with regulators a little and they cut the fill time drastically when set to 10 lbs. Couldn't figure out how to get high volume with low pressure. Mines all plumbed with quarter inch and it seems to slow things down enough. Maybe 30 seconds or so for a thirteen meter. Our fill rig is just a kite pump hose and gauge taped to a trigger operated air nozzle. I built this mainly for winter kiting as we don't fly foils and hand pumps are a pain in the ass when its cold but it gets just as much use in the summer.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

TurcoLoco wrote:
Tiered of inflating kites and hearing of problems with Scorpega pumps I am planing in creating a compressed air system in my car with a pump used for air suspensions http://www.airliftcompany.com http://www.easystreetair.com/index.asp? ... ProdID=441
Has anyone assembled such a system? I believe total cost should be around $400 max.
If you need to inflate far from your car you can take a small qwick connect cilinder of 6 to 10 liters to the beach instead of pump or battery systems.
I am also curious aproximately how many liters are necessary to inflate a 16 m C kite?

Anything you leave on the beach is likely to get stolen, so I would suggest making a better competitor to the Scoprega BST.

Make a 2-stage pump very similar to it but with a toggle switch to switch between stages. You can tell when the kite is inflated by squeezing the leading edge, so no need for the fancy electrics on the Scoprega, plus it should be more reliable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:02 pm 
Rare Poster

Pumping up kites is a good warm up.

The only reason to have a compressed air or an electric pump would be if you ran a kite school.

No one developed these products for kiters, just found some crap on alibaba and made a private label.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:36 pm 
Frequent Poster

christophebcn wrote:
anybody knows the difference between the BST12 HP Batt and the BST12 Kite?
Thanks

I have a box in my hand now, it says,,,,
BST 12 4,4 PSI
BST 12 HP 11,7 PSI
This is the ones with out the battery.

I believe the KITE has bigger bag, battery, and battery housing that screws onto the bottom of the pump and fits inside the bigger bag.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:38 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

TurcoLoco wrote:
Tiered of inflating kites and hearing of problems with Scorpega pumps I am planing in creating a compressed air system in my car with a pump used for air suspensions http://www.airliftcompany.com http://www.easystreetair.com/index.asp? ... ProdID=441
Has anyone assembled such a system? I believe total cost should be around $400 max.
If you need to inflate far from your car you can take a small qwick connect cilinder of 6 to 10 liters to the beach instead of pump or battery systems.
I am also curious aproximately how many liters are necessary to inflate a 16 m C kite?

first of all as others have mentioned, pumping up your kite is a good warmup.

second, buying an electric pump and a spare 12 volt battery is way cheaper, we are talking
$80 for a decent west marine high pressure 12v inflator pump or $200 for that very nice BST pump.

third, count the pumps it takes to losely inflate your kite, it should be about 40 for a huge old 16 meter C kite, and since most hand pumps have about a 5 liter stroke, that's 200 liters approximately to inflate your kite.

fourth, this is a cool project, I suggest instead of buying some crappy air suspension you do it right and buy a used scuba compressor, and then fit up attachments so you can put either a small paintball tank on it, and play paintball or fill your buddy's tanks, or let your scuba friends fill up their tanks with it, since a scuba/paintball compressor can fill to 3,000 psi, you only need to lug around a tiny little paintball tank to fill up your kite.

If you are trying to use this air suspension it will only get up to between 100 and 200 psi, which means you will have to carry around a tank as big as a keg of beer to fill up your kite. Which begs the question, why are you carrying around a keg of air to fill up your kite instead of just hand pumping.

Go for the way cool route, get a serious $5,000 scuba/paintball compressor and do it right. Someone else posted a link of someone filling up his kite from a scuba tank . . . very cool.

I dont know about your launch site but it certainly is not convenient to have to inflate your kite right where your car is. A lot of times, the launch is a hike through some obstacles and requires inflating the kite at the launch not the car.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:55 pm 
Rare Poster

Marty wrote:
christophebcn wrote:
anybody knows the difference between the BST12 HP Batt and the BST12 Kite?
Thanks

I have a box in my hand now, it says,,,,
BST 12 4,4 PSI
BST 12 HP 11,7 PSI
This is the ones with out the battery.

I believe the KITE has bigger bag, battery, and battery housing that screws onto the bottom of the pump and fits inside the bigger bag.

The Bravo Electric Pump Lineup offers a variety of models with various outputs and with or without battery, etc.. as mentioned above --typically the lower cost models are without battery and/or have lower volume outputs on turbine mode, lower psi on piston mode, no intake filtration, etc..

The BST-12 Kite model is the high end model in the electric pump lineup --one of the main differences is the addition of filtration to intake and additional clear protective bag with secondary filter to keep sand/debris out ..the improved/latest version Kite model also includes stronger nylon composite impeller components as opposed to standard ABS plastics in other versions.. and also includes upgraded solid state relay components on control board (no longer mechanical relays, no moving parts), rechargeable battery, and highest output volume/psi in portable pump lineup..

We sell the BST-12 Kite Pumps and offer full repair services, replacement parts, etc.. --these latest version Kite Pumps are actually quite reliable from our experience in use and through customers ...sand is the biggest culprit to most issues --if the protective bags/filters are used and sand is kept out, trouble free reliable operation can be achieved for years of use..

Bravo BST-12 Kite Pump

--John..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:45 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

ronnie wrote:
Anything you leave on the beach is likely to get stolen, so I would suggest making a better competitor to the Scoprega BST.

Make a 2-stage pump very similar to it but with a toggle switch to switch between stages. You can tell when the kite is inflated by squeezing the leading edge, so no need for the fancy electrics on the Scoprega, plus it should be more reliable.

I've converted many of the BST's to toggle switch operation to circumvent the electronics that often proved unreliable. I then add a $7.00 pressure gauge. My BST has maybe 7 years on it now. I replaced the low-pressure stage once. The new reinforced impeller is a must.

It sounds like the new electronics may be more reliable. But personally, I like seeing the pressure rather than wondering if it's going to stop before my kite explodes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Kromium wrote:

Maybe so, but when I use a typical hand pump, my back is destroyed before I ever get on the water. I can kite for hours, but 3 minutes of pumping destroys my (already bad) back.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:40 am 
Very Frequent Poster

TurcoLoco wrote:

I've been using a Scoprega pump for the past 5+ years. The first two failed after a year or so because the fan impeller was faulty material and would crack after heating. The third pump I got from them has a new material spec for the fan and it has withstood possibly 700 kite inflations at this point. It's nice to set the pressure desired for various kites (6+ psi for larger kites, up to 8psi for small kites)

After 3 years of constant use (200 sessions/300 kite inflations per year) I replaced the battery about 9 months ago and expect it will work for another 2 years. Batteries are readily available and cost around $35-$40 in the USA. Realistically a well charged battery can really only handle 2 kites, 3 if your lucky. Plus you should not run the Scoprega pump continuously for more than 10 minutes to avoid over-heating. In reality it takes about the same amount of time to inflate a kite with the Scoprega as with a hand pump...but without the back discomfort.

I take care of the Scoprega pump but I don't "baby" it. I try to keep sand out as much as possible, minimize exposure to moisture/salt spray, but have not had to perform any routine maintenance other than blowing out the filter every so often, which takes about 5 seconds. You do need to be in a routine of charging it and properly discharging it.

Kromium wrote:

I think there are much better ways to warm up. Pumping up kites lost it's allure a long time ago for me. :) Sometimes I do use a hand pump if my battery is dead or if I hike in with a hand pump (lighter). If I travel to kite I usually leave the Scoprega at home because it is heavy and I'm always maxed out with luggage allowances.

Someone suggested it takes 50 pump strokes to inflate a big kite...Not sure what kind of pump he's using but I would say more like 100+ strokes to get proper pressure in a 12m or larger kite. And even thought it takes less strokes a small kite needs more pressure to fly right and can actually be harder to inflate to proper psi. And for the gals and lighter riders, sometimes it's really difficult to get 8psi into a kite.

If you're only pumping up a kite once a week or something, or if you are regularly hiking a long way with gear a hand pump is fine. But I'm really happy with the Scoprega since they improved the impeller. I am not sure if they have made any major changes in the past 2-3 years. But I feel like I have gotten my money's worth for sure.

spork wrote:
ronnie wrote:
It sounds like the new electronics may be more reliable. But personally, I like seeing the pressure rather than wondering if it's going to stop before my kite explodes.

I always pay attention while inflating and sometimes set the pressure switch to a lower setting to test it while pumping. So far the cutoff switch has been good, but I still always "squeeze the Charmin" to make sure. I am not sure if I trust an in-line pressure gauge much more. They don't seem to be very accurate and they are prone to corroding and buggering from sand etc. Maybe I'll rig one just for curiosity to see how the reading compare to the pumps cutoff calibration.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:45 am 
Very Frequent Poster

robertovillate wrote:
I replaced the battery about 9 months ago and expect it will work for another 2 years. Batteries are readily available and cost around $35-$40 in the USA.

You're paying too much. I've bought many of those batteries (for other purposes) for $20.00

Quote:
Realistically a well charged battery can really only handle 2 kites, 3 if your lucky.

That surprises me too. I can certainly get 4 fills on my 13 with a tired old battery.

Quote:
I take care of the Scoprega pump but I don't "baby" it. I try to keep sand out as much as possible, minimize exposure to moisture/salt spray...

I think the single most important tip is to make sure and not move the pump at all while it's operating in the low-pressure/high-volume mode. The gyroscopic loads destroy the impeller. The new material will last much longer, but why abuse it?

Quote:
You do need to be in a routine of charging it and properly discharging it.

These pumps use sealed lead-acid batteries. Do NOT deep cycle these batteries. SLA doesn't have memory effects - cycling simply uses up cycles. Deep cycling will ruin it quickly.

[ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next