Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Take Off is going to close the kitecenter on Isla Holbox, MX

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:28 pm

We are very sorry to inform you about this but the situation on Holbox has changed drasticly the last year.
Before, we where using 4 beaches from the island and this was perfect. For every wind direction we had a beach to start kiting and to teach our lessons. Unfortunatly the government decided to close 2 out of the 4 beaches.
The reasons for that are officialy that holbox is a natural reserve and that we kitesurfers bring harm to the natural environment.

Before all this we were using the following beaches:
Mainbeach - Punta Mosquito - Punta Coco - Isla Pasion The kitesurfers came specially to Isla Holbox for Punta Coco and Isla Pasion because these beaches are at the beginning of a big laguna. This resulted in a very strong current into the wind direction when the tide was coming up.
This was very good because you could kite already with a 12 mtr kite while there was only 13 knts wind. From all the days we were using these 2 beaches for at least 50% of all the time.
Unfortunatly the goverment closed both Punta Coco & Isla Pasion!
THis means that now we can kite 50% less (depending on the time of the year).
Besides that they closed these beaches, they are also charging you 20 pesos
(1,75 USD) for each day that you want to kite. This is really not a problem and it's really worth it IF you can go kiting on Punta Coco or Isla Pasion, but that is not the case anymore.

What does this mean for kitesurfing on Isla Holbox?
If you want to come to Isla Holbox to relax and to enjoy the beautifull island, then there is nothing changed for you and we strongly recommand you to go, because Holbox is still really special. If you are a kitesurfer and you want to bring your equipment to go kiting if there are a few good days with the wind from the NW - N - NE there is also nothing changed for you and we hope that you will have a few really good days!
BUT... if you are coming specially for the kitesurfing, we strongly recommend you to look for other places!
Because with the new situation it is not worth all the effort you have to do to arrive there with your equipment to find out that you can kite only a few days from your holiday.

We tried to fight for it during the last 1,5 year but we can't win from the Mexican bureaucratie.
I dont't understand the point of view from the government that close these beaches for kitesurfing because we bring harm to the nature, when at the same time they give permisions to build a brand new hotel on that very same beach!!!
AND that they charge a kitesurfer (who don't make any noice and don't make any contamination or what so ever) 20 pesos each day he wants to go kiting, while at the same time there are people crossing over that very same beach with golfcarts and miniquats and all that is ok....???

But i'm just a kitesurfer who loves to go out and become one with the nature (sun, wind, sea & beach) So who am I to judge these kind of things....?

twintip
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby twintip » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:43 pm

That's a pity.

Holbox has been on my wishlist for quit some time now.
Regarding this news I won't be going anymore, because kiting would be my first reason to visit holbox.

It also makes me sad to realize that governments all over the world are so unrelaxed towards kiteboarding. All we want is to be on the water and enjoy the winds, sky and nature..

If only we could buy a private island somewhere ....

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:02 pm

very sad indeed. I had the pleasure to ride these beaches...very nice!
Like we destroy the nature...so stupid.

I'm always happy when a kiter buys a house or property in Cumbuco, Brazil, this means more power to the kiters. Very helpful for the future!

Holbox
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Holbox » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:12 pm

I just would like to say that I am living for 3 years now on ISLA HOLBOX.
The kitesurfing is perfect and that the reason of closing the kitecentre on ISLA HOLBOX is not because it is not allowed!
We have 1 beach that has been closed! That is ISLA PASSION. But we found for this spot another great spot that works even with more wind directions!

If HOLBOX was on your list you can put it back ON!! becauce NEXT season HOLBOX will be back on the KITESURF MAP!

More info http://www.islaholbox.eu
or mail me at patrick@islaholbox.eu

Waldo
Medium Poster

Postby Waldo » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:19 pm

That's great news, Patrick. Mike wrote on the dutch hanglos forum that Punto Mosquito was forbidden too. We were there for a week 2 years ago and went to that spot everyday, so a replacement for that spot is a must for anyone looking for guranteed fun.

GMan
Medium Poster

Postby GMan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:01 pm

Hola Patrick,

This is Gerardo from Solexico. We are coming in a couple of weeks and look forward to some nice kiting...

I will try to post some pics of our time there.

Saludos,

Gerardo

Return to “Kitesurfing”