Forum for kitesurfers
JoeMo
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

06 Sonic on 06 Waroo bar?

Postby JoeMo » Mon May 14, 2007 5:37 pm

can I fly an 06 sonic on the 06 waroo bar, assuming any differences in pig tail length are sorted out with some extensions? The main issue is whether there is enough centre line throw for the sonic to depower if you drop the bar.

I notice also that the sonic has a front line flag-out instead of the back line on the waroo, could the sonic be flagged on a back line or would I need to mod the bar to fit a front line safety?

Any help appreciated

Dr.Gonzo
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Mon May 14, 2007 7:15 pm

No problem... you can fly the 06 Sonic on an 06 waroo bar. There is plenty of de-power range for the Sonic on it + you have the by-pass leash if you really need the extra kill switch.

Like you say... you may just have to make some adjustments with pigtails or leaders to get the trim right.

JoeMo
Rare Poster

Postby JoeMo » Mon May 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Dr.Gonzo wrote:No problem... you can fly the 06 Sonic on an 06 waroo bar. There is plenty of de-power range for the Sonic on it + you have the by-pass leash if you really need the extra kill switch.

Like you say... you may just have to make some adjustments with pigtails or leaders to get the trim right.
cheers - so would I need to add a leash attachment for a front line kill rather than fixing it to an OSH as for the waroo? should be pretty simple - short length of dyneema, metal ring and a stopper ball...

Dr.Gonzo
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Tue May 15, 2007 1:42 pm

you can rig a back line OS system onto a Sonic and it will work just like on a Waroo... its not as efficient or as safe as a front line system though, which is why GK don't slap a back line OS on a a selling point.

Its easy enough to rig up.

The other option of course is to just get the 07 freestyle upgrade from Globe...

This will give you a similar system with some nice touches like the mickey mouse front line swivel and a little neoprene cover that keeps the front line re-ride in place... the de-power strap is a neat pull/pull system too and doesn't dangle... the whole thing could work out cheaper too unless you already have the waroo bar.

You can get the kit from here... http://www.airjamexpress.com/product_in ... cts_id=260

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue May 15, 2007 4:05 pm

the 07 GK centre line kit looks better than the standard 06 Best centre line set up, and as Sean says, the GK is built for a front line leash due to the the bridle shape rather than the waroos which are built for a back line leash.

a bar is a bar is a bar, it's the bits between the bar and the kite that make the difference.

there's always the 07 upgrade kit from Best with the dual centre line and stopper, you could rig that for a front line safety by attaching a ring to the MM ears with a short pigtail.

decisions decisions.

JoeMo
Rare Poster

Postby JoeMo » Tue May 15, 2007 9:59 pm

thanks chaps, good advice. I'll probably just mod my existing bar kit for the time being and upgrade it later

Return to “Kitesurfing”