Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

MORE depower in my C kite

forum for kitesurfers

charjulio
Medium Poster

Postby charjulio » Fri May 25, 2007 3:17 pm

If you are sold on depower with the 5th lines you should try looking at copying Naish's 5th line depower system. That being said and having spent hours of time tinkering on my kites, the easiest thing to try 1st is having the adjustable 5th line like slingshot.

firestarter
Rare Poster

Postby firestarter » Fri May 25, 2007 3:18 pm

You can add a trim to the ring, same thing as the frontline depower trim. Then you can decide how much 5:line tension you want and where you want to place the ring on the depower rope, so it don’t return to full power. But it still a passive depower system.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri May 25, 2007 4:46 pm

Not getting what you mean about 5th pulling the kite to full power.
Maybe it depends on the setup of your line length. ?

I use the setup on a fuel and have lengthened throw a little bit, alows me to sheet out pretty far but also sheet in enough to stall/fly the kite backwards a little if I want.

The balance is fairly good; to sheet out I have to push the bar away once the 5th gets a bit of tension, but it stays out where I put it, depowering the kite more than if I just sheeted out with a 4 line set up.
May not suit all kites though.

KiteSurfingKen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KiteSurfingKen » Fri May 25, 2007 8:47 pm

The BFK likes to fly with even tension on all 5 lines (At Full Power). When using the "Active Depower" I could not find a good balance point.
If I pushed the Bar away (Full Depower), the tension on the 5th line would cause it to return to full power.
Based on your description of your Fuel setup, it sounds like it may work better on some kites than others. Specifically those that fly well with slack in the 5th line at full power.

This may also depend on how much friction there is on the Chicken Rope line as it passes throguh the Bar. The Fairlead on my bar was twice the size of the line, so it would float freely. The slingshot bars are more restricted so it may stay put better.

Before I moved to SLEs (Warros and now Sonics), I had a Cleat on my Trim strap so I could pull and cleat off the 5th line at any point. I preferred this option to the "Active" setup for my BFKs. It was simple and effective, basically the same as the stock Slingshot Oneline setup except the cleat was above the bar.
Ken

Gigi;)
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Gigi;) » Mon May 28, 2007 9:17 am

Well, yes and no... You will actually need to push bar away harder yes...

It depends also where are your connections on LE and the lengths...
Essaouira wrote:
Gigi;) wrote:I would also advise to attach the pulley on QR, to have cleaner setup.
your are right the setup will be ceaner, it's the same system that BWD mentioned.

But the problem is that the 5th line will be pulling always the bar to full power like kitesurfngKen said :cry:

I must look for anothe setup :idea:

Essaouira
Rare Poster

Postby Essaouira » Mon May 28, 2007 10:35 am

I did it the las week end, as u can see on the pic, i used a 5th line little short than the front & back lines but with different bar.
The kite shape changes but when I pull the bar the kite takes enought power, I was riding with the kite from 14 till 25 knotes, the depower were perfect, not like a bow kite but enought.

Return to “Kitesurfing”