portugal?

Forum for kitesurfers
Nunob
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Nunob » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:40 pm

otte wrote:wave riding is not that important! would be cool to have some small things to play in from time to time not to get bored from all thet flatwater ;-)

lagoons are important for me :)
Hi
In summer time I don't recommend lagoons; well at least the most known ones Lagoa de Obidos its forbidden this time of the year
Lagoa de Albufeira near Lisbon is definitely not a good choice too crowded with kitesurfers and non kitesurfers and those are the worst

During this time of the year, I do recommend Algarve where are plenty of spots like Alvor one of the best, Faro is another one and many more near by.

Also, when you get there the locals can help you a lot and advise you on other spots.

Party is all around just in case of no wind.

enjoy

Nuno

otte
Frequent Poster

Postby otte » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:54 pm

:o

looks nice!

and yes-i checked your homepage :)
a nice map as well-should help me.

i recon it would be the best to plan a roadtrip in that area your map shows and just take a tent to sleep wherever the wind takes me (us)

nikeron
Medium Poster

Postby nikeron » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:04 pm

:thumb:

Lord of the Boards
Frequent Poster

Postby Lord of the Boards » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:27 pm

That's Lgoa de Obidos! I've been there last year. We had some thermic wind at the end of the day, coming in from the sea. Very nice flat water, but beware of the strong current.

It's close to Peniche (wavespot)
Attachments
Lagoa-de-Obidos.jpg
Lagoa-de-Obidos.jpg (40.56 KiB) Viewed 1722 times

otte
Frequent Poster

Postby otte » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:48 pm

could anyone please give me some information about the wind during august? also it would be great to know if such beautyfull spots are crowded or if they are not :)

i fall more and more in love with the thought of a nice 2-3 week roadtrip in that area :roll:

Zacarias
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Peniche
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Flexifoil
North
Nobile

Postby Zacarias » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:49 am

Hey Guys! Yep!! that is my home spot! :D
If you guys want to come in August to the west coast, i recommend you to go to figueira da foz, viana do castelo, costa da caparica or Guincho because thermal winds.
In July we have a Downwind from Super Tubos until Santa Cruz. It is great. :thumb:

Cya :bye:

otte
Frequent Poster

Postby otte » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:02 am

how strong does that thermal wind usually get and how often is it "blowing"? is it normal to have wind almost every day or is it kind of a surprise when you get a good day?

sorry im asking so much :oops: but ive never been to that country and would like to get as many info as possible :)

cheers :thumb:

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pierre.d » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:07 am

The thermal in the santarem area is light, when the açores high pressure is correctly positionned N / NW wind is blowing gently along all the west coast.
The wind accelerates a little bit in the lagoa de obidos because of the hills but not more than 15 knots. You have some little thermal too in Peniche and Santa Cruz. The best places for good wind are definitively Viana/Guincho and Costa de caparica. For Obidos you can kite inside the lagoon: not very clean and a lot of current but flat water. You can also kite in lagoons in the aveiro area with more wind but the same issues: not so clean and current.

I used to spend one week every year in the Santarem area because my wife is from there, I usually kite 4-5 days with 12 and 16 and a surf board.
If you go to Viana, take a 9, Guincho: take a 7 !

In any case, Portugal is a great place to go for summer. :thumb:

ruffridah89
Frequent Poster

Postby ruffridah89 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:48 pm

awesome
my friend is going over there tomorrow for the windsurfing olympics qualifiers!!!
-Danny

Ricardo Henriques
Rare Poster

Postby Ricardo Henriques » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:15 pm

...some nice photos!!
Kiteboard Tour 2007 (Costa da Caparica)

http://galeria.apkite.pt/gallery/2968238#P-1-15

Return to “Kitesurfing”