Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

An Open Letter to Noobs (and to some Not-So-Noobs)

Forum for kitesurfers
shastadogs2
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

An Open Letter to Noobs (and to some Not-So-Noobs)

Postby shastadogs2 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:58 pm

Okay, so you got this, right? Got the kite, got the board, got the spot, maybe even got a few lessons under your belt. Definitely got the stoke!

Let's let 'er rip, time to huck a few for the chicks near the beach.

Chill a minute. Just chill and listen to an OG. (Some will, most will not, pearls before pigs, I can dig it.)

1. This thang is the center of the known universe, for some of us more of a religion than sport (sports include bowling and golf :o .) It requires something from us, is bigger than any one of us, and we have a responsibility to it that goes beyond our daily session.

2. Responsibility begins with safety, yours and others. If you hurt yourself, the thang suffers; suffers in the media, suffers in the backrooms where issues of access are discussed. Hurting yourself is NOT COOL. You may think it is, but you'd be wrong. Do not believe everything you think.

3. If you hurt others, well, see No. 2, above. 'Nuff said.

4. Kitesurfing is not about being cool. Now, the thing is it is actually very cool to kitesurf, But at its core, kitesurfing is about something way bigger than image, Can you dig it, do you dig the distinction? Its cool, but way bigger, got it? So in trying to be cool, you missed it.

Instead of cool, try to be an able-seaman, pay you dues, look around you, give something back. You will in doing so become a member of a brotherhood. Way cool, right, but the image is by-product.

Enough, this sounds like some f+++ing lecture or sermon. Just have seen a lot of craziness at the beach in the last month and needed to get this off my chest. Thanks for listening.

Feel free to add your own if you feel the need.

jimmi

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:35 pm

where was it?

We get the same crap here, that's why I don't go to the "common" beach anymore (oahu)

I love your text, but in a while you get over it and just deal with them.
Idiots don't listen. never..ever..

so, what do I do? Kite and work..and post on kiteforum for kicks.

Rockstar
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: An Open Letter to Noobs (and to some Not-So-Noobs)

Postby Rockstar » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:31 pm

shastadogs2 wrote:Okay, so you got this, right? Got the kite, got the board, got the spot, maybe even got a few lessons under your belt. Definitely got the stoke!

Let's let 'er rip, time to huck a few for the chicks near the beach.

Chill a minute. Just chill and listen to an OG. (Some will, most will not, pearls before pigs, I can dig it.)

1. This thang is the center of the known universe, for some of us more of a religion than sport (sports include bowling and golf :o .) It requires something from us, is bigger than any one of us, and we have a responsibility to it that goes beyond our daily session.

2. Responsibility begins with safety, yours and others. If you hurt yourself, the thang suffers; suffers in the media, suffers in the backrooms where issues of access are discussed. Hurting yourself is NOT COOL. You may think it is, but you'd be wrong. Do not believe everything you think.

3. If you hurt others, well, see No. 2, above. 'Nuff said.

4. Kitesurfing is not about being cool. Now, the thing is it is actually very cool to kitesurf, But at its core, kitesurfing is about something way bigger than image, Can you dig it, do you dig the distinction? Its cool, but way bigger, got it? So in trying to be cool, you missed it.

Instead of cool, try to be an able-seaman, pay you dues, look around you, give something back. You will in doing so become a member of a brotherhood. Way cool, right, but the image is by-product.

Enough, this sounds like some f+++ing lecture or sermon. Just have seen a lot of craziness at the beach in the last month and needed to get this off my chest. Thanks for listening.

Feel free to add your own if you feel the need.

jimmi
Like,I'm really down wif dat,like,I dig it man!

WTF are you talking about ????? :roll:

bleighty
Frequent Poster

Postby bleighty » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:10 pm

the amount of new riders in my area has grown exponentially in the last year.

i blame the waroos.

:)

seriously tho.. its been a huge topic of discussion between many locals and the sad fact is that new riders are going to go out and do what the f**k they want and there is very little that can be done.

I have been lucky enough to catch a few on the beach about ready to do something stupid. I was able to help them out and get them either off the beach or work with them to correct their behavior.

Then i will hear about some fool doing some foolish stuff and just shake my head. Luckily no one has been hurt.. but then again .. its prob just a matter of time.

New riders think they can do anything.. and I have to admit that I felt the same way when I started off. Tho the # of kiters in my area was tons less than today, I still went through my newbie moments..

terrios666
Medium Poster

Postby terrios666 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:26 pm

Its the same problem with other sports, nothing new here. Hiking, ice climbing, biking..etc..etc.

With all the free help out there [ kiteforum, BEST forum, Flexi Forum] and paid help, just about any nice person can enter the sport. These new riders, IMO, many of them simply should not be kiting.

As long as there are teachers willing to teach ANYONE how to kite, we'll have this problem. For some its the money, the only way they have to survive. I know for others, where it was fun at first to help out, they have stopped teaching in order to keep the noobie factor down.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:33 pm

In the past when kites were pricier and much more difficult to learn on, so many people just gave up on learning. It meant that there were far less people kiting.

Now with cheaper easier to learn on kites, it's for sure getting more popular. I sometimes feel the same way that some people just weren't cut out for kiting. I mean sure some might get the hang of it, but at the end of the day they are a liability to others they kite near to.

bleighty
Frequent Poster

Postby bleighty » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:54 pm

and cheaper still is a 2004 or 2005 c kite with old bar and old lines..

love to catch these guys out on the beach w/ their buddy standing directly down wind as they say "go!"

had a guy here launch a BRAND NEW 15m monkey kite in offshore winds.

dumbass had to quickly release the kite and watch it disappear into the tampa bay never to be seen again...

tristonjah
Medium Poster
Gear: Still rockin the 07's

Postby tristonjah » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:11 pm

bleighty what it a grey mokey kite? i think i know who your talking about... menace to the area.. hopefully he dosent pick up another kite

funky
Rare Poster

Postby funky » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:02 pm

terrios666 wrote: As long as there are teachers willing to teach ANYONE how to kite, we'll have this problem. For some its the money, the only way they have to survive. I know for others, where it was fun at first to help out, they have stopped teaching in order to keep the noobie factor down.

Hello everyone, noob speaking!
Been around just reading the forum for a few months.

Don't take me wrong here, but what you' re saying doesn't stand.
What would you say that the criteria be, for someone to start kitesurf?

i.e.:
When I started getting genuine interest in kitesurfing i bought a trainer kite and was going on it 2-3 months straight. Now, I am at a stage where I can just play with the 3m trainer without looking at it.

I got myself ONE lesson(only 5 days ago) and at the end of that day, my teacher said that I am ready to go out on my own and that i don't need another lesson, just practice.

Facts: He, obviously, seen my willingness to learn nice, safe and slow. At the end of that one lesson we covered everything that you can get from beginners lessons, I was up riding... ok for a couple of seconds..... tops! lol.
If he had seen that I am trying to skip steps of the learning proccess, or just be neglegent, he would advise me to get more time with him, under my belt.

What I am trying to say is that, teachers must teach anyone that comes to them, you can't just say "you' re not patient enough or serious enough to get going in this sport".

But, at the end is all down to the biginner whether he or she will have as many lessons as they must have in order to just get going SAFE... on their own!

Hope I've been understood, sorry for the long post!

ps. Only today i received my first kite, takoon NOVA 12m.
DAMN I can't wait to get riding. I LOVE THIS SPORT, I am obsessed for 1 year now, I just CAN NOT get it out of my head... I'm going nuts!

Rockstar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Rockstar » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:15 pm

People are different.

Some have one lesson,maybe from a buddy,then go all right on there own.Some just take to it.

But there are others who just don't get it. I have a couple of friends that are learning for ONE YEAR! They still can't get going on the board,and keep crashing the kite !

If your instructor thinks you are OK,and you are comfortable with the kite,then there should not be a problem.
Just make sure you are aware of the safety features etc, learn as much as you can about wind conditions and you should be fine.

Return to “Kitesurfing”